7mm James' O gauge workbench thread

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Can you post a side shot, please? It looks like your rear overhang is a touch too long, which will affect the overall look of the vehicle:

10Jun20151006013.jpg

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
I agree overhang is long, but the chassis on the truck (a Volvo FH12 from Motorart) is quite long:

With out the deck

20151203_212854_zpscs70x6kq.jpg

With the deck

20151203_212925_zps9jo02ies.jpg

Thanks for the input, let me know what you think, I could shorten deck by about 15mm.

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the input, let me know what you think, I could shorten deck by about 15mm.
I reckon that if you shorten the deck to end at the same place as the lights and under-run bar, then it would look good and not too dissimilar to the picture you've posted. :thumbs:

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
The HIAB on the model is a long reach model, so is a bit bigger than the one in the pictures of the real thing.

There is a bit of room to move it up, but there is still the hydraulic fluid tank to add to the HIAB, it will look a bit better when that is added as it will fill the gap.

I have also had to turn the HIAB around as the legs foul some of the kit on the chassi.

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
Oh dear, no body warned me the Reading O gauge trade show could be so....inspirational?

So this happened:

20151205_140437_zpswnob6fao.jpg

The GJH GP TRAMM was a planned purchase and I have the the gear box and motor from Branch Lines to motorise.

The Lima Class 33 was not, such is the the risk of these things, some one happened to have a Lima 33 for not a lot of money and PRMRP happened to have a detailing kit with them. I bought kit and motor, only for one bogie, I have no need for it to pull anything heavy. Might not be the best model in the world but it is way for me to get a mainline loco up and running and for not a lot of money (well under £200). I would like to think I will be able to make something decent from all the parts provided.

So there you go that's my work bench full for the foreseeable future.

Before any of the above I must complete the Judith Edge Sentinel.

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
Back to the matter in hand, the Volvo.

I had another look at it and I managed to take the HIAB apart and change the legs so the they now point upwards, as per the real thing when the legs are retracted. This meant I could move the HIAB closer to the cab and shift the body up:

20151205_144601_zps8zlkww3c.jpg

Here you can see the body no longer over hangs the bar at the rear:

20151205_144617_zpssxg33rng.jpg

This is how the legs now look:

20151205_145023_zpspmgiycab.jpg

They still need the feet adding.

I am a lot happier with the truck now, thanks for all the advice and observations.

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
The OBA is waiting for paint, so I did some work on a project I have been working for a long time also.

A timber lorry, made from the truck you will see earlier in this thread.

I built the truck some time ago but have started work on trailer for it now:

IMG_20201022_192355 by James Hockley, on Flickr

IMG_20201022_192427 by James Hockley, on Flickr

IMG_20201022_192459 by James Hockley, on Flickr

It links nicely into my next wagon build, my favourite wagon type, the OTA:

IMG_20201022_192817 by James Hockley, on Flickr

From PRMRP models, a little expensive but should build up nicely.

Last edited:

Daddyman

Western Thunderer
The OTA looks good with some nicely observed details in the weathering. However, I've never seen one with the combination of EWS maroon ends and the old 1991 green left on the sides (but you may know something I don't). And while you've executed the chipped paint on the stanchions very well, I've never seen a wagon with any paint left on the stanchions by the time of yellow O/H flashes (they were always various colours of rust when I saw them, as in the photo above) - but again, you may have a photo that proves me wrong. I also think the inner ends need more work - again, see the photo above - though I confess I've been stumped trying to get that effect in 4mm.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
James, two requests please...

1/ you say that you have built OTA models from both PRMRP and 3D prints, please offer comparison photos with captions that identify the origin of each model;

2/on another channel you have posted photos of a VGA under construction from a Skog kit. Please cover that construction here with plenty of photos and text.

thank you, Graham

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
Hi Graham,

No problem covering those for you.

PRMRP OTA

Here are some build shots:

Full disclosure, I built this and then sold it.

I am not a fan of painting brass and I only like working with acrylics.

It is a good kit, I replaced the stanchions with brass section, I am modelling these at the end of thier lives and they seem to have had the stanchions replaced at some point. The ones in the kit are white metal.

IMG_20201106_222154 by James Hockley, on Flickr

IMG_20201118_192426 by James Hockley, on Flickr

IMG_20210324_130523 by James Hockley, on Flickr

IMG_20211118_133717 by James Hockley, on Flickr

IMG_20211118_133705 by James Hockley, on Flickr

IMG_20211118_133655 by James Hockley, on Flickr