Kingfisher Wharf

Vaughan45

A couple of shots of my 4mm scale OO gauge layout module, 4ft x 1ft wide. It consists of a line meandering across the board, with two sidings, one serving the wharf and the other an small engineering company.

This is being built in my home office now that I have entered semi-retirement. Currently it has a cassette fiddle yard at either end, but additional modules containing other parts of the line are planned for when we have completed our relocation from the Home Counties to Norfolk.

Trackwork is Peco code 75 bullhead, with the buildings a mix of kit-bashed and scratch built. Rolling stock ia a mix of weathered RTR and kit built. The storage cassettes have a 10mm Foamex base to match the track-bed and sides from a 3mm aluminium/Perspex/aluminium sandwich material, with removable sliding end sections.

Kingfisher2.JPG

Kingfisher3.JPG
Kingfisher1.JPG

Last edited:

Vaughan45

Thank you, I should have added that the period being modelled is 1948, which gives the potential for stock in late company liveries (e.g. LNER locos with 1946 numbering) and the very early 'British Railways' lettered style on some locos. Freight stock will be in post war condition including wagons built for the Ministry of War Transport and older types that would disappear once BR standard designs were introduced from the early 1950s.

Control is currently by traditional DC, although the board has been wired as DCC compatible with a ring main style bus feed connected to dropper wires from each section of track. Point control is manual by rod from the front of the module to 'blue point' actuators under the board that provide switch locking and frog polarity changing.

Last edited:
Reactions: AJC

Vaughan45

Just to prove that trains do occasionally run, here is the local freight is paused whilst shunting the wharf. Despite it being spring 1948, the loco is still in LNER livery with 1946 numbering, no doubt it will appear in BR livery following its next works visit. It would appear that the crew have absented themselves.

Kingfisher04.JPG Kingfisher05.JPG

MarkR

Western Thunderer
Excellent modelling, I guess the track-plan must be quite simple, are you able to show an overall plan?

Mark

Vaughan45

Kingfisher Plan.jpg
As requested the key details are:

Layout Name: Kingfisher Wharf
Scale: 4mm OO Gauge Finescale
Size: Scenic area - 4ft x 1ft (approximate)
Staging: Cassettes
Layout Type: Industrial / canal wharf
Era: 1948
Control System: DC although wired for DCC conversion when further modules are built
Operation: From front of layout
Baseboard: Integrated plywood board, cabinet / facia & curved backscene
Lighting: Angled LED Strips behind facia (cool & warm light)
Stock: Mix of detailed RTR & kit built
Industries: Canal Interchange, Small Engineering Manufacturer (these may be subject to change), also gatehouse to a larger works which will be the subject of the next module

Last edited:

Vaughan45

Not exactly - The track plan has been pinched in mirror image form from Alant's layout 'Wilne Lane Yard', but the scenario is rather different. It is being designed to be the stub end of a light railway, where the line was intended to progress further but was never completed. The layout will have the rear siding serving a small mill / grain store, the front siding may be for the local coal merchant, there also may be a small trackside goods lock up.

The working name is currently Swallow Lane Sidings / Swallow Lane Mill to continue with the ornithological theme, era is likely to be late 1920's / early 30's when the line has all but given up on passenger traffic due to the introduction of local buses, but goods traffic is still in existence.

The idea is to produce a much more rural setting than my previous layouts (Black Drake Wharf & Kingfisher Wharf). As this is going to be a home based layout and due to lack of space it is likely the fiddle yard track will be of the scenic variety, although there will be a view blocker between the far end rear line fiddle track and the head shunt at the front to designate where the fiddle track starts.

Rather than a ply framed board the underpinnings will be an L Girder frame, the cross members allowing a wider section at the scenic end of the board, with a gradually curving facia towards the far end. I may splash out and make the underpinnings from hardwood, rather than pine and the top panels with be ply, track bed material yet to be decided. The backscene is likely to be removable. Control will be DCC, with manual rod turnout operation with polarity controlled by Frog Juicers. Sound will be limited as steam hissing upsets our dog!

Once things have progressed a little a new thread will be started.

Vaughan45

welcome to the dark side then Vaughan
Unfortunately the 7mm scale idea progressed no further than what was seen in my previous post.

I have instead commenced building some locos & stock in 16mm narrow gauge using onboard battery power and controlled from my mobile using Loco-remote WI-FI control. As this is not relevant to this thread, I may start a new one once I have something to show.