7mm Lamb's Leap. A sheep learning curve.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Evening all.

Some here may frequent the Sheep Chronicles, a thread teetering on the very brink of chaos where I waffle on in order to record the occasional progress of my modest 4mm meanderings.

I've decided to dip a hoof into the murky waters of 7mm modelling. This has been prompted by the release of various RTR locos and stock as of late. I'm not, nor profess to be, a kit builder, coming from the world of 4mm RTR. So please don't expect much etched brass. I'll leave that to the clever people who can and do such things so very well.

That said I'm hoping to pick up new skills and build my own track, some rolling stock and maybe the odd building as I bumble along.

Credit is due to Alan, Geoff, Grahame H
and Pencarrot of this fine parish for the encouragement and advice thus far.

The release of the Dapol 14xx was the final kick up the bunker needed and an example has been acquired.( with another to follow but do not tell the Memsahib)

What I plan is not much more than a diorama at first to get a bit of a feel for things 7mm. Nothing fancy you understand.

Inspiration is being drawn from the Culm Valley Light Railway and Nanstallon Halt which may indicate the look and feel I'm after. It will be small. How small I'm not too sure at present.......but it certainly won't be large.

Period is the mid 1950s. Most likely goods only.

I anticipate a bit of a slow start so bear with me.

As you'd expect, matters will be littered with Ovine references.

The branch is the Lamb Valley Light Railway. Slightly run down, weedy track and faded paint..The terminus is at Baacombe which is also home to a middle sized dairy. The other intermediate stations are at Hoofculme and Ewestock.
3_cvlr_11.jpg.jpeg
I shall be modelling Lambs Leap, a small halt serving an even smaller hamlet..A short siding administers to the needs of the local coal merchant with the odd wagon of coal coming in and the occasional load of seasonal farm produce from surrounding farms going out.

bullocks-mill-crossing.jpg.jpeg

I hope to generate a general damp, misty, Autumnal "feel to it all.

What could possibly go wrong........?

Rob.

Last edited:

John Duffy

Western Thunderer
Rob, I have the bottom photograph in my file marked "Inspiration". Every now and again, when I need to find that little spark to get going, I flick through that folder and often stop and admire this image. I absolutely love the atmosphere.

I look forward to watching your progress.

John

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
The branch is the Lamb Valley Light Railway. Slightly run down, weedy track and faded paint..The terminus is at Baacombe which is also home to a middle sized dairy. The other intermediate stations are at Hoofculme and Ewestock.
"Lamb Valley" I can cope with. The other pun names are terrible - please stop already!!! :confused: :rant: :D
Other than that, I officially declare that you are on the Slippery Slope, Sir, and will not be merely 'dabbling' in O Scale for long. Your experience will make mincemeat of any further 4mm aspirations you have.... :p

See what I did there? I'm so sorry.... :oops: :shit:

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
"Lamb Valley" I can cope with. The other pun names are terrible - please stop already!!! :confused: :rant: :D
Other than that, I officially declare that you are on the Slippery Slope, Sir, and will not be merely 'dabbling' in O Scale for long. Your experience will make mincemeat of any further 4mm aspirations you have.... :p

See what I did there? I'm so sorry.... :oops: :shit:

No, honestly, I will be continuing with the 4mm. With three OO layouts currently operating, I won't be coming away from those.
With further locos due out later this year in 4mm that I eagerly await, there will be further 4mm projects for sure.

I just fancy a small 7mm cameo type of layout. I do not have the space for anything else.

As for the place names, it's the 'brand'. I cannot envisage any of my layouts not having an ovine related name. Anything else seems a tad run of the mill. .
In addition, it's all in the modelling.........hopefully.

A small, detailed slice of Devon as modelled by a Welsh sheep.

Seemples.

Rob.

Last edited:

AdeMoore

Western Thunderer
Brilliant Rob, Nanstallon is a favourite spot of mine.
Looking forward to future developments.
Cheers
Ade

adrian

Flying Squad
So please don't expect much etched brass. I'll leave that to the clever people who can and do such things so very well.
That said I'm hoping to pick up new skills and build my own track, some rolling stock and maybe the odd building as I bumble along.
I look forward to seeing what you can do with this in 7mm. It will be a treat to watch having seen what you have achieved in the smaller scale. Etched brass isn't really for clever people, it's just we have a different skill set and like anything it's plenty of practice and giving it a go. We all make mistakes along the way. I'm just a simple engineer so I can build an etched brass kit or scratchbuild a loco because it's nothing more than a simple mechanical joint. Taking an RTR item or plastic kit and adapting it and weathering to me is artistry. For me those are the clever people that can blend engineering and artistry. Hence looking forward to your artistry and hoping I can learn something.
Seemples.
I didn't realise Meerkats came under the Ovis genus. :D

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Have to agree, O.

I did consider something incorporating Wethers but liked the optimism imbued by Lambs Leap.

Rob.

keefr22

Western Thunderer
I was wondering why it had gone so quiet in the Sheep Chronicles Rob and it finally dawned on me to see if you'd sneaked off and started something over here - glad I did as this will no doubt be an enjoyable excursion into the Land of the Giants.... :)

Keith

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
I was wondering why it had gone so quiet in the Sheep Chronicles Rob and it finally dawned on me to see if you'd sneaked off and started something over here - glad I did as this will no doubt be an enjoyable excursion into the Land of the Giants.... :)

Keith

Hi Keith.

I've decided to document the 7mm build here. It is a slow burn but there's a lot less guff here..

I don't think he's realised what a slippery slope it is!

The 4mm Sheep layouts look lovely when photographed in natural daylight, so the next step must surely be to have some permanent 7mm in the garden!

Best keep that quiet......that's the Memsahib's domain...........

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Evening all.

I'm looking to acquire a Toad and I'm having trouble deciding between the Peco 4whl example and the Parkside version.

I'm leaning towards the Peco but would welcome your thoughts..

Can anyone offer some insight into the build of either?

Rob.

adrian

Flying Squad
I built the Peco many many years ago - too long ago to remember much about the build. I suppose the fact that I can't remember any problem might be an indication that it went together well without any problems. One wheel set builds up on a little rocking unit to give a little form of compensation.

The mouldings are really nice and crisp and fit together well. However I haven't built the Parkside version so I can't rate one over the other I'm afraid.

Western Thunderer
Not being an expert on Toads, unlike the Denton's of Royston Vasey, I thought the two are slightly different, one is a 16t and the other 20t, does that make any real difference?

BENJAMIN!

Tony

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Not being an expert on Toads, unlike the Denton's of Royston Vasey, I thought the two are slightly different, one is a 16t and the other 20t, does that make any real difference?

BENJAMIN!

Tony

Morning Tony.

No, I'm not worried about the prototype. More concerned by the build itself, in particular, forming the handrails.

Rob.

simond

Western Thunderer
Rob,

which aspect of forming them?

I’ve built a Peco one, as Adrian, a while back. As I recall, there is a scale diagram in the instructions, and you bend the wires to fit. It’s held on by tiny plastic brackets, I think. I suspect the PD one is the same.

you’ll want a pair of round nose pliers to make the bends. This sort of thing:

AccuLoop Round Nose Pliers Wire Working Wrapping Coiling 2 to 8 mm Prestige tool 702168761945 | eBay

it’s worth making a few test bends using spare wire, and then wrapping a bit of tape around the nose of the piers, to mark the position, so you can get consistent bends.

Given the broad range of RTR GW stock available in 7mm, it’s curious that this particular icon isn’t.

btw, if you treat yourself to a crocodile, it needs the bogies lowered. You can be all sophisticated and used hi tech machine tools, or a decent large hand file! It would also benefit from improved brake handles, but I haven’t yet done that on mine.

Atb
Simon