1/32 Devoran Quay

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
A Happy New Year to you, Simon.

Surprised but delighted, I received a jewel of a book for Christmas- 'On the Trail of the Titfield Thunderbolt', written by a young and very knowledgable chap.

Simon

Flying Squad
Today I did something a bit unusual in that I ran the trains on my own, without visitors or visiting locos. I took the opportunity to fix an electrical feed problem to the headshunt and yard, and also re-fixed a point changing mechanism I had put down last September, which makes it feasible to now change the points allowing "down loop to headshunt"and "headshunt to yard" movements.

I also took a lot of photographs, concentrating on freight stock, I didn't get any passenger stock out at all.

So here follows a bit of a "photo bomb" of an eccentric garden line outside Bath, the photographs are in chronological order, and show stock being added and taken off a train by the Ruston, and then the whole freight was reversed into the headshunt (it just fitted) before being run down into the yard, the first time the such a movement has ever taken place on the line.

Part 1:

DSCN9324.jpg DSCN9326 (1).jpg DSCN9333.jpg DSCN9338.jpg DSCN9342.jpg DSCN9346.jpg DSCN9348.jpg DSCN9363.jpg

D6356

Western Thunderer
Lovely set of pics the shed, bufferstop and reflective moment are "awesome" in modern speak! The End of the van and GUV shots also very pleasing. I hope you enjoyed the indulgent moment of pleasure.
Thanks for the inspiration they offer
Robert

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
Very nice, the sort of detail we see in photos in MRJ all the time, but in 1/32 you can actually see it with the naked eye. With the recent developments in this scale there's definitely a need for a small exhibition layout to show it. There's a book out recently explains how to go about it, by some bloke called Rice.

AndyB

Western Thunderer
V With the recent developments in this scale there's definitely a need for a small exhibition layout to show it. There's a book out recently explains how to go about it, by some bloke called Rice.
Something like 'Pomparles Siding', built by some bloke called Castens? :D
Or Worcester Road - Steve Harrod?

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
witticisms aside, an extra chapter in "Creating Cameo Layouts" devoted to the larger scales would be very useful. For me personally, any layout must have a passenger service, which makes things a lot more difficult. One could quite easily build a cameo layout in 1/12th scale with a couple of live steam deWintons, but reduce that scale to gauge 3 and it can easily feel cramped, even if the passenger service is a BR railbus. Then there are specific problems like the entrance to the fiddle yard; what is often referred to as the mouse hole more resembles a cat flap.
Many are put off upgrading to the larger scales, believing that you need a lot more space, so anything that shows what can be achieved in a back bedroom is always welcome.

Simon

Flying Squad
The up St Erth milk tanks came through this afternoon, maintaining route knowledge for the WR crew over the inland Southern route.

Approaching Launceston Road they experienced some delays owing to livestock on the line....

DSCN9676.jpg

Which seemed oblivious to the situation

DSCN9677.jpg

The signalman had a few visibility problems too

DSCN9678.jpg

The train was nonetheless advised to "proceed at caution"

DSCN9679.jpg

And the line was eventually declared clear!

DSCN9688.jpg

Simon (and Dusty)