Scattergun LCDR (SECR)

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Following on from Phill's thread Roaming in the Gloaming and mention of the LCDR here are some pictures of my dad's conversions of the Hornby Dublo SECR R1 0-6-0T. Apologies for the qualities of the photos as these are the only ones which exist.

A bit of a nostalgia trip of some of my very early modelling including the ex LCDR M3 4-4-0.

SECR R.jpg
LDCR R 0-4-4T converted in the early 1960's by my dad from the Hornby Dublo SECR R1 0-6-0T.

SECR J.jpg
SECR J 0-6-4T converted in the early 1960's by my dad from the Hornby Dublo N2 0-6-2T

SECR Q.jpg
SECR Q (ex SEC) 0-4-4T converted in the early 1960's by my dad from the Hornby Dublo SECR R1 0-6-0T.

SECR Q1.jpg
SECR Q1 0-4-4T converted in the early 1970's by myself for my dad from the Hornby Dublo SECR R1 0-6-0T.

SECR A.jpg
SECR A2 (ex LCDR) 0-4-4T converted in the early 1980's by myself for my dad from the Hornby J83 0-6-0T.

SECR T.jpg
SECR T (ex LCDR) 0-6-0T converted in the early 1980's by myself for my dad from the Mainline J72 0-6-0T.

SECR ACIS.jpg
SECR ACIS class (ex LCDR) 0-6-0 converted in the early 1980's by myself for my dad from the K's Kirtley Midland Railway 0-6-0.

phileakins

Western Thunderer
Thanks for sharing Dave, I really didn't think that an R1 (LCD) could be made our of an R1 (SER). Well, that's proved me wrong!

Lovely models, I take it you no longer have them?

Phil

S

Simon Dunkley

Thanks for sharing Dave, I really didn't think that an R1 (LCD) could be made our of an R1 (SER).
Phil
Nice to know that something good can be made out of an SER abomination. (Hello Mr. S.* if you are reading this.)

*He knows who he is.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
The ones I built for my dad were in my very early modelling days and you are quite right - I/we had to use the nearest RTR model to the drawings of the loco we wanted and start converting from there. Today's modellers have it relatively easy with all the RTR stuff and kits.

I've been out of 4mm modelling for so long now (I concentrate on HO and O scales) I expect there are still gaps in the market for turn of the century (1900) locos and rolling stock for the smaller pre group companies.

Bob

Western Thunderer
Today's modellers have it relatively easy with all the RTR stuff and kits.
Something of an understatement there Dave:)

Thanks for putting those photos up, excellent models:thumbs:

mintri

Excellent models, If I remember correctly the Mainline J72 could be made into a G6-HO scale - although LSWR.
Am I correct in this?
Steve

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Steve said:
the Mainline J72 could be made into a G6-HO scale
You're quite correct - it can be.

I do have a part conversion of the Hornby (ex Dapol) Terrier body into a LBSC E1 0-6-0T. If and when it's finished it'll be on a J72 (I think) etched brass chassis as this gives the correct wheel spacing in HO.

D G Williams

A double treat – London, Chatham and Dover and a glimpse into model railway history! Congratulations on those ingenious conversions to produce a collection of truly individual models.
How much did you have to alter the K’s kit to make the Kirtley rebuild of the Acis class?