Love Lane, B.R. (E) c.1956-59

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Colin, sorry for got to add the link! Not just trolley buses but RT and and other stuff further on I believe.

http://www.mikesbuspages.com/londontransport.htm

Enjoy :thumbs:
Great site mate, I can just remember a trolley bus journey( old git I know:)) ) when I was a kid, not sure when but it was a family holiday down in Christchurch, the bit that fascinated me was at the end of the route the bus was turned on a steel covered turntable, would make a good model scene.
I have a book on the trams and trolley buses of Southend-on-Sea but have no memory of those at all, but I remember the Southend Corporation buses we would use from Rayleigh to Southend, Mum would take us to the beach in the summer and invariably the bus was an open top, good fun when there was a sudden rain shower.

Like the idea of trolley bus service on LoveLane.

Col.

Tim Humphreys ex Mudhen

Western Thunderer
Finally a couple of new pictures although not very good quality. We're at the stage where the layout is wired and can be operated. Switches for point motors to be fixed and final fettling of the operating mechanisms then on to the scenic side.

This first image shows the whole visible layout looking from the country-end towards London. Total length without fiddle yards is 20 feet with a maximum width of 2.5 feet. The track layout is a double track from London leading to a single track into the country. London trains will terminate here and a push-pull unit will carry on up the line. Various goods, parcels and special trains will either stop here or continue up the line. The trap-point, leading to a sand-drag, protecting the mainline is visible on the left whilst just in front of the Jtank a catch-point can be seen protecting the mainline from the yard.

IMG_6694v1resized.JPG

This view is towards London and shows our mock-up of the platforms, station building and signal box. The loco and wagons are in the goods yard and horsebox in the dock road.

IMG_6683v1resized.JPG

This next view to towards the country end. The J tank and coaches are sitting in the loco spur, this will have and inspection pit and small coaling stage whilst the parcels vehicle on the goods yard head-shunt. On the left is a trap point protecting the mainline. First stages of building the road over-bridge and water tower are in the background.

We now have a work-schedule that maps out the route to completion; the team meet most Wednesdays and welcomes assistance.

The Love Lane team

IMG_6689v2resized.JPG

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Thats looking spectacular..!

I wish id had more time to be involved from the begining... Ill get up on a wednesday soon enough..!

JB.

Tim Humphreys ex Mudhen

Western Thunderer
Love Lane is operational for those who will be attending the East Anglian S7 group meeting in Sudbury this coming Sunday. It can be run as either DC, although with only one engine in action, or as DCC. Steam and Diesel outline models of all colours are welcome. Phil, will you bring your converted Heljans?
Tim

S7BcSR

Western Thunderer
It is looking good. So how far do you think you might have got with it by April? Do you want an outing with it to Brightwell? Not saying for definite but I could be interested.

Rob

Tim Humphreys ex Mudhen

Western Thunderer
It is looking good. So how far do you think you might have got with it by April? Do you want an outing with it to Brightwell? Not saying for definite but I could be interested.

Rob

Rob, we were discussing this possibility on Wednesday and were going to speak to you about the possibility of attending. We hope to start ballasting and painting very soon followed by structures and scenery. So by April it should show considerable progress; if you at Croscombe in the near future perhaps John Birch and I could discuss this with you?

S

SteveO

I really like the potential of this layout and I'm looking forward to seeing it developed. It will be a fitting tribute.

S7BcSR

Western Thunderer
Rob, we were discussing this possibility on Wednesday and were going to speak to you about the possibility of attending. We hope to start ballasting and painting very soon followed by structures and scenery. So by April it should show considerable progress; if you at Croscombe in the near future perhaps John Birch and I could discuss this with you?

I am hoping to get to the next Croscombe get together (whenever that is), happy to discuss it then.

Rob

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the pictures Mick...

Hope to get there Wednesday..

JB.

Your welcome, sadly no Wednesday for me, might struggle for next monthly meet too, you can blame me if any engines fall down the loco pit, surprised anyone let me near Love Lane after my car woes LOL

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
For those who can't make it on Wednesdays we have have a number of jobs that could be done off site. Peter Cavalier bought a number of building kits which we intend to use. These are Skytrex and pretty straightforward but a decent job and some good painting ad weathering will provide some excellent items.

We also need a platform mounted signal box and the one at North Weald would be an ideal prototype. I am unaware of any suitable kit so it's a scratch build. However if someone would like to take on the task of measuring the box at North Weald, even if they don't want to build it that would be a real help. It's possible we could go for a laser cut set of parts. I am happy to do the artwork for that if it's the way we want to go.

Adrian Marks is currently delving deep in his archives so we can get the correct signalling plan, including fog signals which would have been rather important in the 1950s
Track plan.jpg
Above is Colin Dowling's plan of the layout. We spent Sunday discussing scenic possibilities and this is the result (currently). At the station end the viewer will look into the station area over higher ground and through the bottom of the gardens in the adjacent road, rather than have the railway itself at the front of the board. Colin's sketches below show the view along the road up the hill, viewed from the goods yard entrance and the second view shows the concept as seen from the station platform looking up to the (unmodelled) houses.

LoveLane goods yard 2.jpg

LoveLane Station 2.jpg

Alan

Western Thunderer
Some how missed this. I will follow with interest. Whilst modelling rural Devon I do find urban/suburban layouts fascinating. I suspect that comes with living in Forest Gate, Ilford and Goodmayes for some 28 years.

SteadyRed

Western Thunderer

That sketch of the entrance to Love Lane GOODS reminds me of Sheffield Wicker Goods, The sign was dark blue, heavy gate posts, weigh bridge just inside the entrance. I'm sure much like hundreds across the network prior to "rationalisation".

There was a video posted on Youtube primary selling the benefits of the then new Tinsley marshalling yard, but it also showed the old ways of handling freight. Scamell Scarabs, 4 wheel vans, etc etc.

Dave