LSWR open wagon

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Right, my experience with Humbrol rattle can varnishes is to avoid them. The quality control was horrid, and I had several cans that failed to work from new.

The lower right effect looks a bit like what happens when you apply an acrylic paint over enamel, especially fairly fresh enamel. If I was weathering the wagon I'd be quite pleased with that crazing paint finish! The upper right and left differences could simply be down to humidity levels or differences in how long you shook the can for before spraying.

This is my problem, really. Rattle cans are all fine and good, but I don't trust the contents to spray the same every time.

Now, your mileage may vary, but I have had excellent results using Precision's ready-to-airbrush varnishes. They don't have a tint (the Humbrol stuff is yellowish), gloss is glossy, satin is satin and matt is the best flat matt varnish I've come across. Of course, it supposes you have an airbrush and want to use it! Happily, I find Pheonix-Precision do supply their varnishes in rattle cans. You will pay a premium, but what price quality?

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Heather
That's very constructive, thank you. I've ordered a tin of Vallejo matt acrylic to give that a try, I'll et you know how I get on, of course. If that fails then, it'll be a tin of Precision's matt varnish. I do have an air brush but find I'm leaning more and more to rattle cans these days.

Jon

D816Foxhound

Western Thunderer
Jon,

If you prefer rattle cans, you could also try Testors "1260 Dullcote clear cote spray lacquer". A lot of the military modellers rave about it.
However, it's an American product and difficult to find in the UK. It may become even more scarce with trade wars looming!!

Roger

Spitfire2865

Western Thunderer
Jon,

If you prefer rattle cans, you could also try Testors "1260 Dullcote clear cote spray lacquer". A lot of the military modellers rave about it.
However, it's an American product and difficult to find in the UK. It may become even more scarce with trade wars looming!!

Roger
I regularly use Testors dullcote but have recently been taken by Mr Color's matt spray. Double the cost but seems like double the volume.
Im sure you could find it in the UK. I can find Humbrol products here so Im sure itll work the other way.

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
IMG_2009.JPG

A full set of transfers but still no acceptable matt varnish to apply to the gloss paintwork. My tin of Vallejo arrives on Wednesday and that will be the start of some trials to see what sort of finish I get with it. I'm almost of the opinion that it will stay gloss with the transfer film showing if these trials don't work out. Oh, and I haven't forgotten about the precision varnish, Heather.

Jon

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
IMG_2017-001.JPG IMG_2020-001.JPG
I sprayed on the Vallejo matt acrylic varnish yesterday and was surprised how 'wet' it went on. I think that I should have applied very thin mist coats until it was all covered but, obviously, I didn't. The picture on the left shows were there is quite a build up of varnish that has stayed shiny. The tear on the top plank has a little mark in it where I, stupidly, tested it with my nail for hardness, it wasn't. The picture on the right is where the varnish didn't fully take. I don't think that it is due to finger marks as I was careful not to lift it here but, one never knows.
My question today is, how can I get rid of the faults on the left picture?
As they are still soft, do I let them completely harden before spraying again, or do I have a go today?
Would rubbing down help?
The right hand faults are worse when looked at in the flesh, so to speak.

The faults on the right picture I will probably have to live with unless another coat would sort that out. Any thoughts?

Jon

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Let the varnish harden first. As it does so it will shrink slighty and draw itself around any raised detail.

In the first picture it appears a bit heavy as the varnish has run creating the lazy L on the 2nd and 3rd planks. To create the effect in the second picture of the end I suspect there is some rogue matter on the paint.

In either case let the varnish harden before attempting any repairs. Once hardened then lightly rub down the affected areas with a small piece of very fine wet and dry emery paper (used wet) and reapply paint if necessary.

However, if you intend weathering the wagon use this to hide any flaws.

In my experience with Vallejo varnish I spray from about 10 to 15 cm with a low air pressure and a fine mist. The varnish can also be thinned with either Vallejo or Tamiya thinners.

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Dave
I used a rattle can and I shook it for five minutes before applying it. I think that you are right in that it should be rubbed down after letting it harden thoroughly. I just need to walk away from it for a week or so and then look to see how it fares.
Thank you

Jon

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Looks very good Jon :thumbs:. Well worth the effort and perseverance with the paint and decals.

Now you need a LCDR and a SER wagon to complete the set... as long as they don't outnumber the LBSCR ;).

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Trevor
The chain hooks were shown in the 1877 drawing that I was following.

Overseer
The drawing actually shows a casting so, you are quite right in thinking it looks a little frail.

Jon