LSWR Passenger Luggage and Break Van C1859

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Lantern, Birdcage or Clerestory - not sure what the difference is if any? Maybe somebody can educate us?

Mike

simond

Western Thunderer
I think Lantern & Clerestory were architectural terms, though I doubt Birdcage was.

I would associate Lantern with something squarish, and Clerestory with something longish (like a church nave, for example), but this is nothing more than quasi-educated guessing on my part.

AJC

Western Thunderer
I think Lantern & Clerestory were architectural terms, though I doubt Birdcage was.

I would associate Lantern with something squarish, and Clerestory with something longish (like a church nave, for example), but this is nothing more than quasi-educated guessing on my part.

A clerestory is literally that - a clear storey. Hence the full length of whatever it might be, and lots of windows. A lantern, well, lantern-like. Birdcage just seems to be one of those cognate labels - because well. they look a bit like a birdcage.

Adam

Stevers

Western Thunderer
'Caboose' seems to have been the LSWR term for these things - probably nautical in origin. Spookily, whilst Jon was working on his splendid senior scale model, I was virtually working on the van that brought up the rear of the train that derailed at Downton in 1884 with a view to 3D printing it in 4mm scale for EM Gauge - I'd like to think this van will seem familiar!
1859 Pass. Brake.jpg
Of the carriages and vans in that train - all built in the 1860s - it's become my favourite. In 1884 this van had the benefit of the Newell mechanical brake, so my van has my interpretation of that created using the drawings and diagrams in Gordon Weddels Volume One. The curly spoked control wheel for this can be glimpsed in the window. For Newell brakes it seems the brake blocks slid on bars suspended between the W Irons, so my W Irons are cosmetic and I've left room for Masokits sprung W Irons between them. The 3D model was generated in OpenSCAD using 2D drawings imported from QCAD.

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Stevers
I'm always amazed at what can be achieved with 3D printing these days. Your van looks very good and you'll have to post a picture when you receive the actual print.
There isn't any real real evidence, as far as I can find, with regards to the braking system on my 1859 van. I tend to get carried away with the braking systems in G3 as it is possible to have them working. I've made two brake vans where the brakes can actually be applied by winding the brake handle but opted out with this van. There will be a set of brakes but non-functioning.
Do you have any evidence of lettering for the sides of these vans, prior to 1860, other than that which is shown in George Weddell's book, LSWR CARRIAGES Vol. 1 1838-1900?

Jon

Stevers

Western Thunderer
Hello Jon,

Normally I would be trying to recreate the LSWR of the 1950s, so I'm new to this. The complete 'Downton' train is to go with a loco built with the aid(?) of a K's Milestones Falcon Class loco kit bought on something of a whim that came bereft of its primitive K's underpinnings. I have created a montage of the fateful train using the BoT Accident Report, and liked the overall look of this block train where pairs of short coaches had been close coupled to aid stability. Fitted with the not very continuous Newell Brake I reckon it makes an interesting snapshot of the state of railway technology in the early days of Verwood station on the Salisbury and Dorset.

One of the drivers for this was the availability of CAD (rather than workshop) time whilst keeping an eye on my mother. I've used this time to create each of the coaches of the train, but using only the drawings, modified by close observation of the photos in the book to guide me. The end result is that I have no knowledge of these coaches beyond what's in my Weddell Volume One. One thing I did pick up from a photo was that the doors on this van appeared to be shallow framed presumably so that there was somewhere for the droplights to go - that's if they had them of course! The loco will be stripped of its more dubious Beattie knick-knacks and will have the monstrous (Adams?) stove pipe chimney and modestly extended cab. The coaches will also be in late condition as generally photographed, with long buffer shanks, two full length footsteps and ventilators on the roof - if I can work out what they looked like. Whether they can really be 3D printed in this form (sans roof) remains to be seen, but there is always the option for me to break the completed 3D model up into parts that can be 3D printed.

These vans with their external framing seem ill suited to a two tone livery that for the other coaches may or may not have been an unlined early version of Brown and Salmon Pink. For this period they seem to have been lettered 'L & SWR', and the appropriate Methfix transfer sheet has only two of those - and that according to Gordon is only enough for one side of the Second Class coach that was in that ill fated train - cripes!

Generating the Downton block set in CAD was an unexpected little project that in trying times I have managed to generate a lot of enthusiasm for and have really enjoyed doing.

Steve

Last edited:

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
I've almost come to the end of this build. All that I need to do is to fix the body to the underframe but, before I do that..........

On the corners of the body are these brackets. The two verticals are joined by a piece that wraps around the corner post making them, for me, a difficult item to make by hand. So, I'm wondering, if anyone is having anything etched in G3 and have a little corner to fit these onto, I would be very grateful. Just a thought.

Jon

Image (15).jpg

Mike W

Western Thunderer
I wonder how accurate the drawing is for small details like those corner brackets. They are nicely drawn so might be 100% right. But on LNWR carriages (the only railway I know anything about!) they were cast iron and rebated into the framing, so completely flush and invisible once painted.
Mike

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Mike
I know nothing about railways and so, you are most probably right. However, It's too late now as I managed to get a coat of primer on the body this morning.

Jon