Matt's workbench - current project: Hornby Mk2e coach

matto21

Western Thunderer
I went away for a week with the family and a great time was had by all. What wasn't so great, however, was how much this derailed (pun intended) my enthusiasm and flow at the bench. Since getting back, I've struggled to get back into it, which is annoying!

Despite this, I have pushed on with the CCT and fitted multiple, tiny plastic triangles to the solebars.

07 (1).jpg

I've also sanded down the very prominent roof ribs and fitted some more appropriate vents. Note the roof is actually moulded in transparent plastic.

06 (3).jpg

I've thought long and hard about the raised window frames. Despite being unprototypical, I'm keeping them in place. Removing them is more effort than I can face at the moment!

05 (3).jpg

Matt

matto21

Western Thunderer
Hi all,

Somewhat predictably I've lost all enthusiasm for my parcels projects, both SPV and CCT, so have done what all good modellers do - turned my attention to something different!

A few posts back I mentioned coaches. Once again I must reiterate that I'm no expert, but whereas before I had no interest, I do now.

I've started building up a small collection of Mk1's, but came to realise I can justify a few Mk2's as well - in particular the aircon variety.

All my coaches will be blue/grey, however I picked up this intercity executive BSO at a bargain price from ebay. As an outlier, it made a good place to start practicing the modifications and details I intend replicating across all my Mk2's.

I initially looked at the Bachmann Mk2f's, but I'd need to remortgage the house just to buy a handful, even at used prices, so quickly settled on the Hornby Mk2e and f's. They're not as refined, but I have been able to buy a few at far more wallet friendly prices!

The first job was to remove the four lumps on the roof that are meant to represent the grab handles and replace them with wire:

BSO01.jpg

That done, I turned my attention to the bufferbeam steps. I pondered these for a while and considered leaving them off. But, having noticed them, I couldn't ignore them.

I read a thread where someone used some Stenson HEA steps, but in the end made my own from scrap etch folded and soldered together.

BSO02.jpg

A small detail, but hopefully worth the effort.

Lastly, I replaced the handrails with wire and added some cosmetic detail to the corridor connector (the outer one only).

BSO04.jpg

Please note that the body isn't clipped in place here.

I intend to repaint the body - the ends need patching up, as visible here - but I've also filled and sanded the moulding pips on the roof, and there's some scuffing on the bodysides too.

Matt

matto21

Western Thunderer
Small changes that make a big difference, and proper modelling to boot, Matt :)

Jon
Many thanks Jon, appreciate it!

Limited time over the weekend with family duties and travelling back from the big smoke, however I found some time to finally finish the Parkside 13t wagon interior.

S.jpg

Also, I remember seeing these kits advertised in old copies of RM. I really wanted one but they were already unavailable by that time. So, when a lucky break on eBay turned up this built example, I couldn't resist for nostalgic reasons!

01.jpg

Matt

jonte

Western Thunderer
Many thanks Jon, appreciate it!

Limited time over the weekend with family duties and travelling back from the big smoke, however I found some time to finally finish the Parkside 13t wagon interior.

View attachment 213077

Also, I remember seeing these kits advertised in old copies of RM. I really wanted one but they were already unavailable by that time. So, when a lucky break on eBay turned up this built example, I couldn't resist for nostalgic reasons!

View attachment 213076

Matt

Congrats on your ‘win’, Matt. Looking forward to the finished version :thumbs:

Great finish on the open wagon, inside and out :)

Jon

matto21

Western Thunderer
Hi all,

My wife has been away with work leaving me on dad duties so progress has slowed right down. Having said that, the BSO has been repainted in full and transfers applied.

I wasn't going to bother doing anything to the printed on window bars, however decided to replace them with wire and I'm very glad I made the effort.

BSO007.jpg

BSO005.jpg

BSO006.jpg

Matt