Micro Flame/Gas Soldering Irons

O

Oliver Bulleid

Hi,

I recently acquired an old brass loco to rebuild, much of the work can be accomplished with an Antex 25w soldering iron but there are a few large items such as the dome. The seller suggested a Micro Flame but I have never used anything so powerful.

Any ideas on either a source for a Micro Flame, presumably a jeweller's blowtorch or should I use the 125w chisel-bit soldering iron that has lain unused in the workshop for 20 years?

Tim

Stu Fox

Western Thunderer
I bought one from Maplin recently @ £22.99. They are very effective on large bits o brass but if you have any low melt solder joins/castings near get in and out very quickly and use a wad of wet cloth/tissue nearby as a heat sink.

Regards

Stu

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Micro flames are great, but as Stu says you do have to be very careful.

I use a Maplin Solder Station http://www.maplin.co.uk/50w-solder-station-35016 for brass 7mm kits which was on offer at £9.99 at the time & it is one of the best £10 I ever spent, Maplins also stock replacement tips too which can be a problem with some other cheap soldering irons.

The last Gas powered iron I bought was from Aldi http://www.rctalk.co.uk/forum/mainuploadsfolder/Tony Smith/soldering.jpg(last of the big spenders:D) & is also very good.

Phill :)

S

Simon Dunkley

I have a small pencil torch: I would steer you away from such for what you want to do, as I suspect you would simply make all small pieces fall off/melt, but not any big bits.

Must admit, I was slightly disappointed when I read the thread, as I thought the title meant something else.

Here's my idea of a micro-flame: you are a bit untidy.

Dave

Western Thunderer
The last Gas powered iron I bought was from Aldi http://www.rctalk.co.uk/forum/mainuploadsfolder/Tony Smith/soldering.jpg(last of the big spenders:D) & is also very good.

I too have one of those Aldi jobbies but the soldering tip has worn out. Any ideas where to obtain replacements from?

I also have an Iroda gas soldering iron/miniature blowtorch, from Maplins. It's poor as a soldering iron but was excellent as a blowtorch for soldering using solder paste. Of course now I have an RSU I don't bother with that stuff anymore. :D

Edit: just read again where you say Maplins stock replacement tips. Is this for the Aldi one?

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
I too have one of those Aldi jobbies but the soldering tip has worn out. Any ideas where to obtain replacements from?

........the Adli ones tip is fine for now, but I will let you know if I find replacments though :)

I have been doing a little research on these Aldi gas soldering irons & it would appear that the Irish company that supplied the 'Power Craft 6720' has gone bust :(

The good news is that according to a chap on another forum the 'Dremel Versa Tip' http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dremel-So...Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item25534888ff is a suitable replacement tip for those of us who are using these irons :thumbs:

I hope this is of help to Dave & any other members using the Power Craft 6720 :)

Cheers Phill :thumbs:

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
I have never used the tips on my microflame (Iroda) I just use the flame and use that to chase the solder down the joint. As it runs along it leaves virtually no cleaning up and it's amazing how far a small piece of solder will run.

In terms of the process (and apologies if this is a granny/eggs moment;)) I clamp the bits together using a variety of self locking tweezers/aluminium hair grips etc. Then I hold the piece with some pliers (it gets hot!!!). I run flux down the joint from my syringe, snip off a small piece of solder from the reel and place in the joint with tweezers. I then heat using the microflame adjacent to where the solder is but not too close as if the flux boils it sometimes flicks the solder off into space. As the solder starts to melt tilt the work piece down hill to help it to run and chase the solder with the flame. When doing solebars or other long runs I can get 3 or 4 inches with a tiny bit of solder.

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
I have never used the tips on my microflame (Iroda) I just use the flame and use that to chase the solder down the joint. As it runs along it leaves virtually no cleaning up and it's amazing how far a small piece of solder will run.
I find it really useful for soldering dropper wires outdoors Rob & need to use the iron with tips in on plastic sleepered track :eek::D

I do agree though;)....for brass to brass joints they are fine with the naked flame:thumbs:

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Sadly I haven't had the good fortune to need to solder track outside yet Phill, but hopefully it's on the cards in the future:thumbs:. We are just waiting to see what a nearby housing development does to a watercourse at the bottom of our garden.

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Sadly I haven't had the good fortune to need to solder track outside yet Phill, but hopefully it's on the cards in the future:thumbs:. We are just waiting to see what a nearby housing development does to a watercourse at the bottom of our garden.
Sounds promising Rob :thumbs::)

Phill ;)