Midland 3 plank open wagon

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
This is going to be my version of Mike Williams' Midland 3 plank open wagon. I have a drawing dated 1875 and I'm following it as best I can. I've put in some rivets to represent the bolts that pass from the top edge of the sides and hold the planks together. I've also added two tie rings each side and two on the ends, also shown on the drawing. I will also be making up some wooden brake blocks and the gear that goes with them.

Jon
IMG_3563.JPG IMG_3564.JPG IMG_3567.JPG

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Modified brakes fitted, the V hanger is moved to the outer face of the solebar, but I've not fitted the inner brake shaft support as I won't be able to strip down things with it fixed in place. I've put in a dummy bolt head each end to represent the bolts that hold the planks together and there are three along each side doing the same. I've also fitted eight tie rings, two each side and two at each end. The buffer guides are as per drawing. I'm off now to strip it down and give it a go in the ultrasonic cleaner.

IMG_3594.JPG IMG_3595.JPG

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Jon, how have you fixed the sides in place? With my usual one piece body I often pick wagons up by one side, but I wouldn't like to do that to a wagon where the side is fixed by glue alone. I pick this one up by the ends, but one day I'll forget. I have been toying with the idea of a few pins acting as dowels and fixed with Aradlite? Or maybe you feel it is OK anyway?

Mike

Spitfire2865

Western Thunderer
When I get to doing mine again, itll definitely need pins. But its quite hard to drill perfectly centered.
Or I could use the ironwork I designed to hinge the sides...

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Mike
I ran some super glue along the inside and it held until a few days ago when I picked it up and one side let go. I've re glued it now but I must be more careful in future. It certainly needs something for those forgetful moments.
Geoff
Yes, I do. The rings are nickel silver and I use Gibson 4mm short handrail knobs Ref. 4M53, one of Jamie's ideas.

Jon

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Here it is all finished bar the number plate. Because I made up wooden brake blocks, I had to make new brake gear/links to go with it. Looking at these pictures, I've noticed that I've forgotten to fit the brake shaft support, better go and do that.

Jon

IMG_3608.JPG IMG_3606.JPG IMG_3611.JPG

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Trevor
I bend up the links myself and the shackle is a fabrication from two turned eyes diver soldered to a length of, in this case, thick copper wire. The whole affair is quite strong.

Jon