Midland Railway Block Instrument

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
Many years ago when I had a oo gauge model railway I acquired some block instruments to add veracity to the operation. Some I disposed of but a few were kept and have been stored in wholly unsuitable locations, usually damp garages, where they have been gently mouldering for the last 40 years. They were in ex railway tatty condition when I got them and time hasn't benefited them. Earlier this year I made a decision to auction off my railwayana collection but inspection of these items told me that as they stood they were worth little, I would have to accept that or commit myself to doing them up, I chose the latter but I wanted an sensible standard without completely eradicating the origins, you may judge whether I have achieved that aim from the pictures.

This is as the subject, stamped MRCo and 1897 on the base so it's 123 years old, it owes nothing to the MR, LMS, or BR, all of whom owned for less time than yours truly. It remains to have the glazing and retaining beads fitted otherwise it's complete. It is unusual in that whilst it's a non pegging instrument it still has the handle fitted from the era when the MR used the block as a telegraph instrument as well, when the indicator is at line blocked the operating the handle puts a positive or negative battery to line that will also operate the needle at accepting end of the section. If the needle is at Line Clear or Train on Line it must not be used for telegraph messages, typically train running information and the like. The LMS stopped the practice and most of the telegraph only handles were removed so this is a relatively unusual survivor.

Best wishes
Martin

IMG_0999.JPG
IMG_0997.JPG

J_F_S

Western Thunderer
Not sure what it looked like before Martin, but it certainly looks very nice now - good job, well done! I, for one, would be interested to follow your restoration process here if you are doing another one.

Regarding these "non-pegging" instruments, is it not also the case that they were used for train description purposes before routing bell codes were introduced? I wonder if it comes from a location where such a practice might have survived for some local reason.

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
Thank you JFS for your kind words, unfortunately I don't have a before picture, it has been stored dismantled in various Christmas sweetie tins since before the house move 8 years ago. The current pandemic has very few/no upsides beyond a lot of time and a need to remain at home which has acted as a sort of spur to get things done. Suffice it to say it was in poor condition, the woodwork joints glued with some sort of animal glue had loosened and all the metalwork was both dirty and the lacquer was flaking off. I have another instrument part way through renovation which I will illustrate since you ask.

I think your probably correct re routing information and I will follow up a line of enquiry about this else where. When I was first on the railway I ended up in Carlisle for 6 months on the West Coast mod working effectively for Manchester Divisional S&T on telecomms testing which allowed considerable free time in the evenings to explore the predominantly LMS and LNER infrastructure with traces of the LNW/NER/MR influences to be discovered especially outwith the public pervue, I count myself fortunate that I was able to experience this just before it disappeared. I had an encounter with routing bells between Petteril Bridge Junc, London Road Junc, and Carlisle No5 box which were used to distinguish between NE and Settle and Carlisle trains, but I think the only time I did.

Regards
Martin