Mike G's Workspace.

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the replies. DJH had been my gearbox of choice for many years, smooth and very quiet. But when the screws (that hold it together) sat below the frame of the engine, I decided to go to High Level. I have had motors give up the ghost on me - but only since I moved to DCC. I've got half a dozen engines with these boxes and there's been no problem, but on this one and the one before I had the same problem. I paid for some replacement worms (sounds odd doesn't it) and they wouldn't fit the motors...too small. By the time I tried them years had elapsed!
I seem to remember that when I first started using these they had brass worms and not plastic, anyway, order placed with Mr Gibbon.

Progress on the 37...windscreens in, side panels fitted and more sanding work completed. I've also stripped the 56 down and await the postman. It's pouring with rain today so I haven't been able to re-spray the front's of the 37 to see if anymore filling and sanding is required. Tomorrow's another day. On my shelf of shame lies a Finney 51/61xx (chassis completed) and it's there - glaring at me, daring me to open the box again!

Stay safe

Mike

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Just a quick update...handrails in, fan and grill installed and proper couplings added to the buffer beam. More rain again today, if it's like this tomorrow I may have to re-sort to a new build. I have a Rumney Models fish van to complete/ start, something different from the last 6 months of loco building.
The reason I'm not looking at the Finney kit or the Mitchel 45xx or the Mitchel Manor is these require bits to be formed into circles and I don't have the proper bending tools to form the smoke boxes or boilers. I usually blag a bit of time off my friends that do have this kit...you gotta love lockdown!

New 37.jpg

Stay safe

Mike

Last edited:

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
While waiting for the temperatures to rise - so I can realease the 37 - and put it into primer. I think it'll have to wait till April next year before it's top coat goes on. In the meantime I've been busy with some CAD work for NewportRod and this little beastie from Rumney Models.BR 1/801 Fish van. An exceptionally well thought out kit and is really a game of soldering bit by bit. The pictures explain more than I can type. There is some cleaning up still to do and some more soldering on the sides and ends...because I forgot!

Fish van.jpg

Justin has designed the frets to be jigged together to provide the 3D of the supports. I've finshed both sides and ends. Really enjoying this.

Fish van 1.jpg

These solder into a cage that hold these parts, that's for tomorrow, along with a start on the underframe.

Stay safe

Mike

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Today's progress..sides and ends on to the cage, doors added. Chassis started. Still some solder filling to do, which I hadn't noticed until I took the picture. All fiddly bits left, but I have to say it's been great fun to build. The best bit is the roof fits perfectly without any faffing about.

Fish van 2.jpg

Just balancing on the chassis.

Stay safe

Mike

AJC

Western Thunderer
Hi Mike,

I like this approach - reassuringly precise and enjoyable from my recent effort with Justin's wooden ended LMS open. The painted result looks really good. I'd also quite like one of these vans - I have a few of the various LNER patterns and the collection would benefit from a matching BR one.

All best,

Adam

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Adam
Reading the notes on this van, the only difference on the BR version is the clasp brakes. I can recommend the kit, its been great fun so far. Just brakes and the rigging to do.

Stay safe

Mike

AJC

Western Thunderer
Adam
Reading the notes on this van, the only difference on the BR version is the clasp brakes. I can recommend the kit, its been great fun so far. Just brakes and the rigging to do.

Stay safe

Mike

The roof profile is a bit different, and there’s one or two things that mean reworking the brake gear on the Parkside kit isn’t a runner (width possibly?). As it is, it’s not available at the minute and I have a fair amount of house stuff to pay for...

Take care,

Adam

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Today's progress has been a little less dramatic. Folding up the brakes and then adding the exceptionally fiddly side stantions, these nearly saw the model heading westwards towards the wall. But adapt and overcome (note to self...stop being so generous with the solder).

FIsh van.jpg

And being a good boy I folded up the ever so small stops that sit on the edge of the solebar. To my mind this shows just how much effort the designer has put into the kit. I've also added the notice board etches to the van. Tomorrow will see the work continuing on the chassis with even more brake work, as a by note the new gearbox for the 56xx turned up today. I see a weekend of gearboxes infront of me.
Still very much enjoying this bit of the challenge.

And can I just wish my daughter, Sarah (and her boyfriend Mike) all the best for the future as she completes on her new home tomorrow. The reason I add this is that my modelling time just might be cut short for a few weeks - if you know what I mean.

Stay safe

Mike

For Adam .. C.51 – BR 1/801 Fish Van

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
5E0A0A0E-D2CA-4146-819A-3E128AB97C9A.jpeg So what does three and a half hours modelling time get you, well...this.
All the brakes and the rigging are done. This was a lot of work, most with those annoying 0.3 mm holes. Annoying, because I can’t seem them.
So still to do are the levers and I suspect more annoying holes to be found. Really pleased the way this is turning out.

Stay safe

Mike

AJC

Western Thunderer
Looks really good, Mike. I must admit, I cheat with these and drill out all the 0.3mm holes to 0.5mm. The drills last longer, there's more chance of getting solder in the joint and I can see the resultant holes at the first attempt. These underframes do get quicker the more you do, too.

Adam

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
More work on the under frame brake system and yes more annoying 0.3mm holes, well there were ;). The brakes system is now complete and the vacuum cylinder is in. Tomorrow will see the castings being added and the wheels will go in as the bearings have been done as well.
Nerve jangling as some of this has been, it's been great fun. I think the fair people of Ystrad and Hengoed may be big fish eaters, as I would definately build another one.

Fish van 4.jpg
Fish van 5.jpg

Superb design, just follow the instructions, RTFM! Needs a good polish. I did buy some of the brass sticks, that were mentioned in another thread on WT. They do, do almost the same job as the fiberous type just not as well. But for cleaning up joints (prior to soldering) and etches, no more picking out pieces of fibre from my fingers for me! I haven't tried the steel ones as yet.

Stay safe

Mike

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Finished, except for the painting and that'll have to wait till Spring. Well worth the effort, some parts fiddly but a really good build. The roof is merely balancing on the body.

Fish van 6.jpg

Back to gearboxes now and fix my 56xx. I have a 16t min and a 5 plank open sitting on the desk waiting for their chassis. 56 first though.

Stay safe

Mike

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Well, no gearboxes have been built. A glut of painting and decorating has been achieved, but now with lockdown, that has come to a close for 2 weeks as well! So, on with the BR 5 plank open. Another Rumney models kit - chassis. More 0.3mm holes to ignore, sorry, make bigger. This is progress today. Hopefully to a close tomorrow and then on with the g/boxes, that's if the LMS coach D1791 doesn't magically open itself and plonk it's contents onto the bench. Hopefully Mr Postman will deposit the stones ventilators I need after I've started the gearboxes.

BR 5 plank open.jpg

As with the last of Justins' kits, it all fits and this time I didn't lose my temper doing the fiddly bits.

stay safe

Mike