Motor info, please

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
We have two locos owned by club members which need new motors. One is a Lima 33 and the other a Bachmann A3, both in 7mm.

Can anyone advise suitable "drop in" replacements, please?

Ta ever so!

Brian

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Tricky that. The only drop in replacement for an unmodified Lima Class 33 drive will be - another Lima drive bogie. The one from the French diesel loco would fit if it came up as an option instead of the 33.

Don't know about the A3 at all - perhaps give FineScaleBrass a call? Or see if ABC can do something although I think the axle diameter might be non-standard and you'd still have to dis-assemble the wheelset...

Steph

Puddlejumper

Western Thunderer
I would assume a finescale brass large motor and gearbox would fit the A3. They sell them on eBay for about £65-£70 or you can buy 5 for £250. Obviously you can also buy them direct from finescale brass. I have a couple here if you are struggling to get hold of one, drop me a PM and I can sort one for you. As for the Lima one I also happen to have a Lima 33 upstairs in a cupboard which is going to be converted so the bogies will be surplus, again PM me if any use/interest, I'm sure we can sort something out
Doug

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the thoughts, chaps. I was hoping that we could remotor the A3 without removing the wheelsets - as far as I can see these are pressed on to the axles so removal presents the two issues of a wheel puller and then re-quartering the wheelset.

The Lima bogie sounds like the way to go so I'm chatting with club right now and will come back to you imminently.

Many thanks for your really helpful comments.

Brian

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Can the A3 motor not be removed from the gearbox?

I guess so, but if the motor is only available as part of the motor/gearbox combination it's a bit extreme to pay out £65 or £70 and then not use the new gearbox.

I didn't get to club on Friday and know that things have moved on, so I'll review the situation at the next club meeting (Thursday evening) and report once I find out how things have changed. I'll report back later!

Thanks again for your help.

Brian

InvernessTMD

Western Thunderer
Are they not the canon equivalent to the Mashima 1833? I have the Brassworks 03 and I think that is what it is (not opened it up for a few years!)

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Are they not the canon equivalent to the Mashima 1833? I have the Brassworks 03 and I think that is what it is (not opened it up for a few years!)
Actually I don't know, but my first comment on taking the lid off the loco was that the motor looks like a Canon so you may well be correct. May be worth a try as a similar motor is only about a fiver. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll still wait until I see the state of play next Thursday evening though.

Brian

Puddlejumper

Western Thunderer
I'll have a look at the spare ones I have upstairs and see what will fit. I've probably got a motor to fit........there are quite a few in the "they might come in handy sometime" box:thumbs:

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I'll have a look at the spare ones I have upstairs and see what will fit. I've probably got a motor to fit........there are quite a few in the "they might come in handy sometime" box:thumbs:
It's very generous of you to look in your spares for me. As mentioned previously I'll have more news after Thursday evening - on the 33 as well as the A3. I believe that a spare chassis has been found for the 33 so that may have been settled.

I much appreciate all the help.

Brian