Magazine Narrow Gauge and Industrial Review

jc2001

Western Thunderer
Many will know that the ownership of Narrow Gauge and Industrial Review passed back to Roy Link after the sad and untimely death of Bob Barlow last year. Since that time a new website has been established with online ordering etc. which I help administer for Roy.

Narrow Gauge and Industrial Review Issue 105 is due for distribution at the end of this month. Contents as follows:
  • Southwold Railway - Blythburgh Station circa 1910. 1:48FS layout by Peter Kazer.
  • Bridge over the Blyth. 2mm scale Southwold Railway diorama by Stewart Green.
  • Kerr Stuart Tattoo Class 0-4-2T - makers drawing and notes.
  • Excelsior in 7mm. O14 scratchbuilt model by Nick Brown (with drawings).
  • Four Midlands Ironstone Tramways - Part 1, Waltham. By Dan Quine (with maps and drawings).
  • The Bridge. HOm ExpoNG competition entry by Maurice Hopper.
  • Tank Locomotive for the Becton Outfall Works. 3ft gauge Bagnall 0-4-0IST - archive material from Engineering Magazine. Includes drawings of Baguley motion.
  • and the usual product and book reviews.
Subscriptions and renewals can be ordered from: Magazines

John

Reactions: AJC

jc2001

Western Thunderer
Issue 106 is on it's way to the printers. Despatch to UK subscribers should occur during the third week of April. EU and 'Rest of World' copies go out from the mailing facilitator as soon as the minimum economic number of items is reached - but those furthest away from the UK should have their copies within the next 3-4 weeks.

Contents as follows:

• Penorwic Slate Quarry revisited - Jonathan Matthews updates readers on his 0-16.5 layout.
  • A 16mm Ruston LBT - scratchbuilding with David Barham.
  • Stronach-Dutton Roadrail System - Fowler Tractor Bogie - drawings and photos from Stuart Baker.
  • It’s a Gas - Dennis Harrison describes how he filled the final corner on the Towy Valley Tramway.
  • Four Midlands Ironstone Tramways - Part 2, Kettering Furnaces. By Dan Quine (with maps and drawings).
  • Ynys Gwyntog - Alex Duckworth brings the story up to date.
  • The Kerr Stuart Tattoo class - origins described by expert Bill Dickins.
  • With the usual product and book reviews, plus readers letters and ‘Jottings’.
A subscription to the REVIEW and back issues can be ordered from the website at: Magazines

John

jc2001

Western Thunderer
Issue 108 has been sent to the printers.

REVIEW-108-cover_zpsrzr4k0i0.jpg

Despatch to UK subscribers should occur mid October. EU and 'Rest of World' copies go out from the mailing facilitator as soon as the minimum economic number of items is reached - but those furthest away from the UK should have their copies within the next 3-4 weeks.

• Woolacombe Bay - Large scale modelling by Franck Combe (7/8ths)
• Stanley - Mark & Angela Fry describe a loco metamorphosis (prototype)
• Modelling the Southwold Railway - The creative layouts of Stewart Green (4mm and 2mm scale)
• Robert Hudson Bogie Wagon - Archive drawing
• Four East Midlands Ironstone Tramways - Part 3 – Wellingborough by Dan Quine (prototype)
• Photography Diorama - Described by Nick Brown (7mm)
• Crochat PE Tractor – Ingenious drive system in O14 by Bernard Marchand
• Finishing the Peckett - OO9 kit by Alex Duckworth

Plus product and book reviews, readers letters and Jottings.

If your subscription expired with issue 107 and you have not yet renewed, there is still time to do so from here: http://narrowgaugean...iption-4-issues. It helps a great deal - and avoids the need for us to send out reminders.

Note lapsed or new subscribers can start from issue 105 onwards - 105 to 107 will be sent from stock. And there are plenty of older back issues available.

John

jc2001

Western Thunderer
Issue 109 has been sent to the printers.

Review-109-cover_large.jpg
Despatch to UK subscribers will be later in January. EU and 'Rest of World' copies go out from the mailing facilitator as soon as the minimum economic number of items is reached - but those furthest away from the UK should have their copies 3-4 weeks after the UK despatch.

Contents:
• Brookford - the story so far. Ever-evolving 7mm scale layout by Paul Lindsay-Scott
• Blacketty Water - 4mm scale bridge diorama by Mark A Greenwood
• Pecketts at Furzebrook -Archive material and makers drawing
• Scottish Grouse Railways - Mark A Greenwood researches two unusual systems
• Y Cob Bach - Developments on Rhyd (O14) by David John
• Portable Power - From the REVIEW Archives

jc2001

Western Thunderer
Review-110-Cover_large.jpg

Issue 110 has been sent to the printers. Despatch to UK subscribers will be later this month. EU and 'Rest of World' copies go out from the mailing facilitator as soon as the minimum economic number of items is reached - but those furthest away from the UK should have their copies within the next 3-4 weeks.

Contents:
• Up the Line - 7mm scale WDLR layout by Kevin Hughes
• Francis Samish builds the Backwoods Lynton & Barnstaple LYN kit (OO9)
• Spooner Quarry Locomotives - New research and drawings from Stuart Baker
• A Tale of Two GVT brakes - David Pomery 7mm scale
• Huwood-Hunslet Diesel Mines Locomotives - Archive material
• Brookford Tales - More from Paul Lindsay-Scott

If your subscription expired with issue 109 (January 2016) then you have just two weeks to renew - otherwise you will not be included in the despatch list for the new issue.

You can login and check your status at: Account

jc2001

Western Thunderer
I realised I missed to post details on issue 111, and now issue 112 is about to be despatched.
REVIEW-112-cover_large.jpg

This issue is a ‘Wagon Building Special’ - following on from issue 111 which focussed on scratch-building locomotives.

Contents:
  • Rhyd Retrospective - David John brings the story of his O14 layout up-to-date
  • Norwegian Wooden Mineral Wagons - 1:45 meter-gauge rolling stock built by Håvard Houen
  • Peris - A Dinorwic Enigma - Drawings, photographs and description by Stuart Baker
  • Talyllyn Wagons in 1:32 Scale - Peter Kazer describes his techniques
  • Four East Midlands Ironstone Tramways - Part 4 - The Scaldwell Tramways by Dan Quine
  • A Closer Look at the Slaters Lynton & Barnstaple Coach 15/16 Kit - David Hughes reports on his progress so far

I should also point out that my wife Marion and I have taken over the business side of Narrow Gauge & Industrial to leave Roy more time on REVIEW and RCL Publications book production. More details here: All change - but in reality not much

John

Last edited:

adrian

Flying Squad
This issue is a ‘Wagon Building Special’ - following on from issue 111 which focussed on scratch-building locomotives.
I really ought to subscribe - I enjoyed issue 111 with plenty of building information, irrespective of gauge. This one looks at though it will be good as well.

AJC

Western Thunderer
A wagon building special? Every magazine should have one! I'll make sure to pass through Ian Allan on Lower Marsh later in the week.

Adam

AJC

Western Thunderer
It's not been printed yet. Give it a week or two.

John

Noted. Not that this will stop me darkening their door - it's by far and away the most convenient place for me to pick up a tin of Humbrol these days.

Adam

jc2001

Western Thunderer
Issue 112 should be with UK subscribers by now.

Marion and I will be at ExpoNG on Saturday with the REVIEW, RCL Publications and Zamzoodled couplings. Please do drop by and say hello.

John

jc2001

Western Thunderer
Issue_113_large.jpg

REVIEW Issue 113 is in an advanced stage of preparation. Despatch will be in January

Contents:

• Festvalla GruvfÄlt
  • A Hudson-Hunslet for Thakeham Tiles
  • Daniel Admson Locomotives for Oakeley Quarry
  • John Fowler Bogie Molasses Tank Wagon
  • HOf 6.5mm gauge Heilbronn Loco ‘Besighiem’
  • Scaldwell & Hanging Houghton
  • The Profiform Guillotine and its Uses
  • Brookfords Tales 3
Plus the usual product and book reviews, readers letters and Jottings.

John

AndyH

Thanks John, that’s really helpful. I have subscribed since the outset and it continues to be a very high quality magazine.
Andy

A

Arun

As a recent subscriber [especially as Peter Kazer gave me a nice write up! in issue 112], I've been looking through the website at past NG&IRM article but haven't been able to identify [by name] any that might have plans of industrial fireless locos. Anyone out there recall any such article in the past?

Arun

David Varley

Western Thunderer
As a recent subscriber [especially as Peter Kazer gave me a nice write up! in issue 112], I've been looking through the website at past NG&IRM article but haven't been able to identify [by name] any that might have plans of industrial fireless locos. Anyone out there recall any such article in the past?

Arun

Arun,

There's a index somewhere on the NG&IRM website.

Regards,

David V.

A

Arun

Thank you David - There is indeed an index available for subscribers but it only identifies layouts and articles by heading/title - not by content. Hence my question directed at longer term readers who might have recalled such an article whose content would not have been readily identifiable from its title.

Regards

Arun

jc2001

Western Thunderer
Hi Arun

If you search the index for fireless it does indeed show an article by Tim Shackleton in issue 99 - Fireless Loco at Regent's Tar Works

John

A

Arun

Thanks for that John - I quite like the idea of a model fireless loco. Back number has been ordered!

Arun