Next phase of my life

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Not much to report on the modelling side of things but today was my last day at work.

The next phase of my life begins and I awoke this morning feeling very excited about it.

Colleagues at work had a collection and present me with some cash which I plan to use to buy something to remind me of them at Telford or before, if something catches my eye in the sales and wants in the meantime.

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
Welcome to the ranks of the retired brigade Rob. It might take a few days to sink in but once you get into the routine you will wonder how you found time to work.
I have a few years under my belt and my modeling has been quite prolific and I now work longer hours in my workshop than I ever did before. Enjoy!

Ian

Tim Humphreys ex Mudhen

Western Thunderer
Rob,

Speaking from my experience it is certainly an exciting time of life and opportunities that work stood in the way of can be followed. As well as the time for a little more modelling and working on Love Lane I've been able to become involved in our Parish Council, fund raising for our local church restoration, the S7 Committee, plenty of travel visiting friends spread as far wide as the USA and Australia and most importantly spending time with our children and grandchildren.
Have a great time.

Tim

Michael Osborne

Western Thunderer
Not much to report on the modelling side of things but today was my last day at work.

The next phase of my life begins and I awoke this morning feeling very excited about it.

Colleagues at work had a collection and present me with some cash which I plan to use to buy something to remind me of them at Telford or before, if something catches my eye in the sales and wants in the meantime.
Rob, I have been retired now just over 3 years and I have never been more contented. I set out with a plan and had goals to aim for which I have only been semi successful but it still beats working for a living.
You will find that you still won't have enough time as you will be so busy.
My colleagues at my last firm told me that I would be back asking for part time work within 2 months because I would be bored.
My reply was there is no such thing as boredom, only lack of imagination.

Max M

Western Thunderer
The only trouble with the first year or so of retirement is that all those jobs that you have legitimately put off because you were too busy working will come back to haunt you. :(

Your 'Management' will, no doubt, have a 'to do' list which will be presented progressively over the coming months. :eek:

From my experience the first two years are the worse but it does get progressively easier. :p

cmax

Western Thunderer

Wow! Good luck with the next chapter of your life, As others have said, life now begins!, I'm sure you and Chris have plenty to keep you occupied.

Enjoy!!

Gary

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Thanks all,

We do have plans which will keep us busy in the short term at least. A house move is under way and Chris has paintings in a couple of exhibitions this month as well as our both demoing again at Telford. After that my son gets married in early October after that I hope to pick up a bit more modelling than I have done of late.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
In some ways I had a forced early retirement, at the time both very sad and beneficial. That was two years ago and my feet ain't touched the ground yet !
As all those above had said not enough hours in the day :)).....but enjoyable.

Col.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Congratulations, Rob. I received a clock when I finished - but by Henri Jacot so rather special.

I retired ten years ago and still feel as though I'm on holiday. The one thing I miss is the people, although I still meet up for lunch with three of my closest colleagues three or four times a year. We also moved to a new house which needed "nothing to be done to it". The first job was to build a workshop - done! Problem is that every room in the house has now been reformed in one way or another, with just the lounge to go. I've tried to fit the start up of Finney7, model building, model railway club, social work with the church (although I'm not a member), fishing (which I'd not done for 30 years or more) - the list is endless. Work was 18 hours a day. Retirement is 8 days a week.

I love it, and my life is far more varied and busy and doing stuff I want to do, but don't necessarily expect more time at the work bench!

God (whoever she may be) put me on this earth to finish a certain number of projects. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.

See you at Telford.

Brian

Last edited:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Well done Rob (and Chris with the GRA) you do realise of course that you have now entered the dizzy world of full time modelling - far better than work and very relaxing - for the most part, especially if you ignore the instructions that come with the kit! I took early retirement at 59 and it was the best move I made.

Enjoy yourselves.

kind regards

Mike

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
Rob
Diane and I send you our congratulations on having got out, she was in a similar line of work to you so we know exactly how you must be feeling. Enjoy it.
Martin

Wagonman

Western Thunderer
As a partner in a smallish business, retirement is something that happens to other people! Involvement in a local Housing Association and a history group, plus researching and writing, leaves little time and less energy for model making alas. I'll try not to let my envy show... Enjoy yours!

Richard

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Retirement gives married blokes the chance to take some of the load off her indoors seeing as she cannot ever retire. The worst thing a fella can do on retirement is think "he has done his bit" and end up becoming a burden or under't feet! I learned this 47 years ago when self-employed working from home and went on to assist the two daughter-in-laws when they had young 'uns too. Today, housework and shopping are my jobs, organised as one would on the factory floor ha ha, but cooking is something we can both do and so it works out well if one of us isn't around. Good luck Rob. :thumbs: