Scattergun Not everything is on rails in this house

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I've not had a "proper" holiday for over a year, so I decided to award myself the rest of the post-Easter week on light duties. In other words, doing whatever takes my fancy once the household chores are done.

As it turns out I have been helping Best Beloved by building a couple of amateur radio kits for him. His eyesight won't let him do the fiddly surface mount soldering any more, so muggins here gets the job. There's a thing about being outside your comfort zone. Yeah, that.

Anyway, this evening, now the varnish has dried nicely, I plan to pick my way carefully through this little lot.

image.jpg

The instrument panel transfers won't be needed, as I used aftermarket etched ones. Not that you can see them, but still.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
It was Rowney Artists Gloss. Thins nicely with white spirit, but can take a good day or two to dry hard. It's meant to be used for sealing oil paintings, but it's a nice thin and hard coat.

I will experiment with Klear on something I don't particularly care about first. I want to know whether brushing or spraying will work best.

flexible_coupling

Western Thunderer
Not at all a fan of SMD assembly (again - eyesight!); I prefer high-voltage valve audio. 380+V floating around, that gets the motor running!!

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Klear sprays very nicely direct from the bottle, you don't need to thin it at all. You can brush it quite successfully as well, but I prefer to spray it.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I plan to experiment. I think the cloudy liquid in the bottle I have has been putting me off!

Anyway, the transfers are done. I am quite convinced Airfix simply reduced the 1/48 versions down to 1/76. Quite frankly, I could have left half of them off and no-one would have noticed except me. All pastel pink and blue, barely noticeable on the white airframe!

A dose of matt varnish to finish things off, and final assembly before heading back to the display cabinet.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
What kind of Klear have you got? None of mine is cloudy and it's a few years old now.

Loving the TSR2 BTW, I look forward to the day I get round to building mine.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
What kind of Klear have you got? None of mine is cloudy and it's a few years old now.

It sounds like the description that I have read in several places of the new version - like yours I have a few bottles of the original and mine is still "Klear":))

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer

Loving the TSR2 BTW, I look forward to the day I get round to building mine.

It's definitely Johnson's, but I think it's the new formulation. From what I've read it still dries clear, it's just cloudy in the bottle. I think a test is required, don't you?

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Hello Heather,

all of the things that I have read about the new klear is that it dries clear!~?

But please test it first.

OzzyO.