O gauge live steam

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
I've long been interested in 7mm live steam, and in fine scattergun tradition recently pushed aside a couple of other projects and made a start.

One of the real experts in the field, Clarry Edwards, described in MRN, Feb 1961, a live steam M&GNR 4-4-0. Full of good tips, the article showed his idea of a separate cylinder/ crank axle unit which could then be fitted within a one piece cosmetic frames/ footplate/ superstructure unit.
A sort of steampunk RG7 idea really.

The M&GN 4-4-0 used a single cylinder with 2:1 gearing and I have followed suit.

First job was a cylinder block, machined up from a nice piece of bronze.

IMG_0008.JPG
Rather than a conventional slide valve I took the idea used in the G1MRA ARM1G design with a circular section steamchest and valve. I do not think I've ever had an original design idea, but am very grateful to the true engineers that do come up with these ideas).
Some careful drilling with 1.2mm steam ports and 2.2mm exhaust way joined the relevant bits up.
(The slide valve is sitting upside down in this photo)
IMG_0009.JPG

Screwed glands for both piston and valve rods were fitted to a one piece back plate. A plain front plate and top plate with angled steam inlet and blastpipe completed the block.
IMG_0008.JPG

Two 'mainframes' were cut and drilled, then fitted with bearings for both crankaxle and driving (wheels) axle after which the crankaxle, crank etc could be made up and tried for size.

IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
The crankaxle, complete with gear wheel, was silver soldered together, and a slip eccentric timing collar fitted. Valve eccentric, eccentric rod and strap just about completed the gear.
IMG_0010.JPG

Assembly fortunately showed it all fitted.

IMG_0009.JPG

The completed assembly.
IMG_0008.JPG

This photo taken just before the air line was pushed on for the first time. It runs.
IMG_0008.JPG

mswjr

Western Thunderer
Glad your back on here posting Jamie, Nice bit of engineering as usual ,And a lot bigger in the pictures as in real life, And youve started another project, Must be a model engineering thing,as ive about 3 on the go at once as well.

mswjr

Western Thunderer
Nice, both would look nice,Both a lot of work, I am building a Hunslet Linda in 31/2 inch gauge and oo gauge Malvern road cheltenham, and a gauge 1 9f ( this one is hard work) and some wagons started for the Hunslet, And still have ideas in my head, Guess we just like making stuff.

adrian

Flying Squad
I shall be watching with interest as I've always enjoyed the live steamers.

One of the real experts in the field, Clarry Edwards,
I was most fortunate to meet Clarry on a number of occasions and closely inspect and watch many of his loco's running. As you say a real expert in the field.