Old Parrock

PaulR

Western Thunderer
Everyday I get nearer to finishing, but I never quite get there. I feel that I entered the Cameo competition as a hare but finished as a tortoise. This layout has taken 18 months longer than anticipated. However, railway modelling is about satisfaction not speed and I do feel a great sense of satisfaction with Old Parrock. Yes, there are things I would do differently, but that's for the next project.

Photo98.jpg

The station and covered lever frame are now complete.

Photo 95.jpg

The porter dozes in the afternoon sun, but no-one will worry about that...

Photo 99.jpg

...because everything is a bit sleepy.

Photo 96.jpg

The coalman's cart needs weathering, there are passengers to paint for the carriage and I need to finish the fiddle yard. Three locos need crews and one needs couplings.

Photo 97.jpg

Richard H

Western Thunderer
Stunning! Simply stunning! Such a convincing, verdant landscape. I first 'discovered' Sussex at the end of the 1960s and I was left with a lasting impression of a fertile landscape and a cultural continuity with ancient roots, and a visit last year confirmed that impression yet again. Since the 60s I've enjoyed Sussex-related things such as Kipling's evocations of the landscape and history of Sussex ... and now you've created something that has a similar effect. Congratulations!

PaulR

Western Thunderer
Old Parrock was completed in May, just before the shed got too hot for the summer. I've had a few months with little railway modelling but a lot of thinking and planning - is any hobby better for dreaming than model railways! I've also made some changes to the shed and the cameo is stored away in the hope that one day I'll get the chance to take it to an exhibition.

I've been working on some Roxey Mouldings Stroudley four-wheel coach kits. This is part of a master plan to change the layout's period to 1900-1910, my favourite era. They look a bit raw at the moment. The idea is to run these behind one of the Dapol terriers. I looked at the Hatton's Genesis coaches, but decided that it's more fun to make things even if you can't quite achieve the factory finish.

coach build 10-09-20.jpg

coach build 10-09-20 - 2.jpg

I'm also working on a LBSCR brake van.

IMG_20200910_141154720.jpg

Given that we can have no idea when we will be able to have exhibitions again, I've decided that any layout I build now must have the ability to remain set up at home, and should be fun to play with. With that in mind, I'm planning a new project and having a break from the 'Brighton' - this time it will be Edwardian GER in EM Gauge. This little beauty was a GER 209 Class before it became a LNER Y5.

IMG_20200910_144425557.jpg

It's going to be fiendish - I can't wait!

AJC

Western Thunderer
Oh good, I shall enjoy the High Level Nielson vicariously; lovely looking thing. I've told myself that I need to finish at least a couple of things before buying anything else, loco-wise.

Adam

PaulR

Western Thunderer
Things are gradually moving in the right direction. I'm just about to start on the interiors. Edwardian seated passengers are in the post. Then I have the roofs to do, and the most exciting and daunting part of all - painting.

My skill at soldering up etched brass kits is slowly returning after years of neglect!

image.jpg

AJC

Western Thunderer
You sell yourself a bit short, I think; your soldering is much neater than mine! I don't think that I've seen a properly modelled close-coupled rake of 4-wheelers before (someone somewhere will have a full rake of North London Railway coaches, I'm sure...).

Adam

PaulR

Western Thunderer
Many thanks for that kind comment Adam.

Old Parrock is getting a bit of exposure on 24th October. It is featuring in the Oxford and District Model Railway Club's virtual exhibition: OXRAIL2020 I've made a couple of short films for it (do I really sound like that - good grief!) and I think I'm involved in a Q&A session during the day. Must get a haircut...

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
@PaulR

And features in LB&SCR Modeller's Digest Issue 12... lovely photographs. Please be sure to post details of the first outing of the layout.

regards, Graham

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
A very nice video... accompanying music seems appropriate to the era.

Nice milepost, such a typical-WT-off-topic discussion that one.

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
Total joy and absolutely beautifully observed scene of the Weald, took me right back to my childhood. Well done indeed Paul.
Best wishes
Martin