On Heather's workbench - four wheels on my covered carriage truck

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Painting is never to be rushed, even for simple liveries. The first coats of primer obviously got dust specks, so it had to be rubbed down.

image.jpg

The roof and underframe have been brush painted, with the underframe subsequently being airbrushed with Humbrol matt black 33 with a matt varnish top coat.

The body parts have been reprimed, and are currently drying after their second coat of Rail Blue.

If that dries well, without the specks that meant the first coat had to be rubbed down, then tomorrow will see the varnish coat go on. Then I can try the bespoke laser-cut flush glaze properly. :thumbs:

Western Thunderer
Hi Heather :thumbs:

Can you put a pic up of the finished wagon after the owners weathered it please ?.

Steve :cool:

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
With the final blue coats and varnish top coat complete, I set about the glazing today.

As you know, having followed this thread, @BrushType4 agreed to create some custom flush glazing for this build. I opted to retain the kit glazing for the door droplights, and Philip provided custom cuts for the main windows. As you might recall, each window was subtly different in size to its companions, so care was taken to number each window so I could match them up again!

image.jpg

image.jpg

I think you'll agree the result is superb, and far better than the massively rebated kit version. The glazing is held in by running diluted Kristal Klear round the edges, which is the first time I've tried it. I will warn the client that heavy handling might dislodge a panel.

Next, the window bars, a lick of paint on the inside of the bodywork and final assembly!

lankytank

Western Thunderer
Bloody 'ell, (sorry), but that glazing is nice (another description formulated in my head to do with dogs & spherical objects)......... Sweeeet.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Rather awkwardly the client has asked if I might be able to move the door glazing out a bit. :confused:

I'm having a think. It might be possible…

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Turns out it is possible.

Okay, so I have to ping the bars out and remove the glazing, but having scored carefully round the edge of the frame with a needle point it just takes a few minutes to cut and file the material to be a good fit.

Before:

image.jpg

After:

image.jpg

A modicum of fettling to lose the fluffy edge, but I think that's an improvement.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Looking good Heather, but don't make the door glazing as flush as the main windows, as they are actually drop lights, so should be inboard a little (to allow for the operating mechanism I presume?) They'll need the "Beclawat" finger bars at the top too. :thumbs:

Quite right, Dan. The door window apertures have the finger bar moulded at the top. I've lined the glazing up with that.

:thumbs:

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
image.jpg

I took this shot just now as I intended it to show the gloss of the body side for the client to see. Then I thought why bother, because I need to fix the roof on and take proper shots anyway.

I thought it might of interest to show the droplight rebate compared to the main windows. Before fixing the panes in, I ran a black felt tip marker around the edges to try and prevent the prismatic effect of the thick material. It sort of works. Still, once the client's finished with it you probably won't be able to see through the windows anyway!

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I managed a couple of rough and ready "works" shots of the completed model this morning.

IMG_8059.jpg

IMG_8052.jpg

I think it looks the part. I'll be delivering it to the client on the way home from the S7 Brightwell meeting next week, so if you really must inspect it close-up and personal I shall have it with me on the day. The client will be lettering and weathering, and he's going to send me photos when it's finished.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
That is the best CCT that I have seen... since the Mopok 4mm versions. Thank you for sharing with us.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
That is the best CCT that I have seen... since the Mopok 4mm versions. Thank you for sharing with us.

Thanks, Graham. It's interesting you say that, because apart from the glazing and some work under the floor, it's pretty much what came in the box.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
When packing the model to take down my local model railway club (to show off) I managed to knock off one of the safety loops. While fixing it this morning I decided I couldn't resist fitting a dynamo belt.

image.jpg

Well, it was upside down at the time, and it would have been churlish not to.

It's a bit of phosphor bronze strip I have, normally used for pickups, which just happened to be the right width.