7mm On Heather's Workbench - Prairie ago-go

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
7E7DD083-897B-4E9B-9D79-DDC1827251F3.jpeg

I finally found the gumption to mix some 5-minute epoxy to glue the chimney and smokebox door in place.

Still not done the tank transfers. Possibly today. Anyway, what you don’t see is a fair amount of detail painting has taken place. The cab seats have been done, inside the bunker is done. All the black areas have been second coated, and the smokebox may well get a further doing once the epoxy has set. Almost everything to go in the cab is done and ready to install.

I think my gumption stocks need replenishing.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
We all know what its like when attaching chimneys and domes.......There is only one correct spot where the item is correctly positioned from all angles. So when using Araldite or slow setting glues, I leave a small dry spot on the item and when I am satisfied that it is in the right position, I pop in a small amount of Loctite. This holds said item in position while the main glue sets.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
E9E61C41-EC4B-4FBF-82B1-86381ADECCA3.jpeg

Cab painting getting there. A couple of splodges to deal with, but it will get some weathering before I’m done.

CDE0093B-4B2B-4E39-84B7-6D3FC7DC6DAC.jpeg

Buffer beam dangly bits got painted.

477D71D4-8E18-4305-9126-5025AA50E308.jpeg

The Modelu lamps also got painted. One has been adapted to live in front of the chimney, complete with replacement wire handle. There is only space for two stored lamps, so I’ll choose the best of the rest for that honour.

Talking of Gumption, does anyone recall a Liquid Gunk? I’m sure it was like a universal solvent cleaner. I dimly recall being allowed to use it to clean grease off my push bike in my early teens. I won’t tell you what the rag had formerly been! :oops:

Last edited:

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
AC81DF85-4D50-4943-8BD2-195D05269AF4.jpeg

I’ll have to go steady. This gumption is a deal stronger than it used to be! Whistle chains fitted, more or less correctly.

I am ignoring the elephant in the room - the chassis - at the moment. I can’t work out quite why I have this abhorrence of putting everything back together now it’s painted. I mean, it worked perfectly well before I stripped it for paint, so why wouldn’t it work after reassembly? The strange ways of my brain befuddle me, even after all these years of living in it!

JimG

Western Thunderer
Talking of Gumption, does anyone recall a Liquid Gunk? I’m sure it was like a universal solvent cleaner. I dimly recall being allowed to use it to clean grease off my push bike in my early teens. I won’t tell you what the rag had formerly been! :oops:

Brings back memories of many years ago, messing about with motor bikes and old cars. Brush Gunk on and hose it off to get rid of the accummulated oily grime, etc., which covered the engine. :)

Jim.

simond

Western Thunderer
Horrid stuff. Cleaned off the grimy gritty horrid stuff, and left a slimy horrid residue.

Mind you it got the oil stains off the drive which pacified the parents somewhat.

if you want a cheap effective degreaser the stuff from Screwfix seems extremely potent. I’d recommend eye protection and rubber gloves.

Atb
Simon