A

alcors1

I been trying to work out where to set my new UK layout,

Choices are

Llandudno line,

cumbria line (carlisle to barrow)

Peak (buxton).

will be 1966-1982

will mainly be class 24, 25, 31, 33, 37 and dmu. Want to run freight.

plus a warship and western.
max turn radius is tight 22", #4 switches.

The layout will run raised so my US layout can get a feed from the hidden staging area. base board is already down, and I nearly completed the first 8ft x 2ft on the US with a port.

Attachments

• LayoutUK_USsm.jpg
    LayoutUK_USsm.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 200
  • LayoutUK_USsm.jpg
    LayoutUK_USsm.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 202
A

alcors1

West Coast - some where TBD

I have taken the plunge, and if the boss finds out I going to get into trouble.

I purchased today from ebay a Bachmann Class 24 weathered with DCC sound, and 6 oil cars and a break van from ehattons.

The loco is the most expensive I have ever purchased (my brass alcos in HO are worth more, when completed, with sound and DPT (direct powered bogies), but these are hard to find, I tried buying some a year or so ago and had no luck.

A

alcors1

West Coast - some where TBD

Started clearing the junk of the layout today, so I can get the raised level complete for the UK layout, just don't know where to put all the junk.

anyhow here is a small video from the nearly completed section.

Neil

Western Thunderer
West Coast - North Wales Coast Line

Like the inset track on the video. I'm not sure if you've stumbled across this site but it's a very good starting point for North Wales in the diesel era.

A

alcors1

Neil said:
Like the inset track on the video. I'm not sure if you've stumbled across this site but it's a very good starting point for North Wales in the diesel era.

Thanks neil, that is a great site for information, it helps me a lot.

I will post some pictures latter, I got most of the track laid, just need to complete it. I do not need to do a duel layer after all I going to share the staging area, and just use one cross over. will show in pictures.

A

alcors1

Here are some rough, I mean rough to show my idea

[attachment=5:3q2r0av1]IMG_0028.JPG[/attachment:3q2r0av1]

Hollyhead

[attachment=4:3q2r0av1]IMG_0029.JPG[/attachment:3q2r0av1]

conway - Hollyhead

[attachment=3:3q2r0av1]IMG_0030.JPG[/attachment:3q2r0av1]

conway to Llandudno

[attachment=2:3q2r0av1]IMG_0031.JPG[/attachment:3q2r0av1]

Llandudno

[attachment=1:3q2r0av1]IMG_0032.JPG[/attachment:3q2r0av1]

Llandudno goods yard

[attachment=0:3q2r0av1]IMG_0033.JPG[/attachment:3q2r0av1]

Llandudno to Conway

Attachments

• IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0029.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0032.JPG
    IMG_0032.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0033.JPG
    IMG_0033.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0029.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0032.JPG
    IMG_0032.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0033.JPG
    IMG_0033.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 135
A

alcors1

North Wales Coast Line

made some tunnels and put track bed in place.

I also can run my US locos from the fiddle yard to the Port, track all tested and glued.

[attachment=0:26o4huuh]IMG_0001.jpg[/attachment:26o4huuh]

next few days I want to seal of one end of the layout and have all tunnels complete (US end). But I need to make some Double tunnel entrances, probably with some stone or brick I can print then wrap around a cardboard cut out of the shape.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 115
A

alcors1

North Wales Coast Line

Slowly starting to take shape

[attachment=1:3vmpyq1t]IMG_0014.JPG[/attachment:3vmpyq1t]

No That I have separated this end of the layout from the US portion.

[attachment=0:3vmpyq1t]IMG_0015.JPG[/attachment:3vmpyq1t]

This tunnel leads to the fiddle yard and represents the line to chester.

now I need to find some slate wall paper, or picture I can print to make a nice slate wall.

Attachments

• IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 92
A

alcors1

North Wales Coast Line

well I am done for tonight, but I add these

[attachment=1:2mt972l5]IMG_0001.JPG[/attachment:2mt972l5]

[attachment=0:2mt972l5]IMG_0003.JPG[/attachment:2mt972l5]

Tomorrow I will build my double tunnel and complete the middle section to split llandudno and Conway

Been thinking of changing the towns to

Blaenau Ffestiniog
Bangor
and Holyhead

so the above area will be Blaenau Ffestiniog. then though a tunnel to bangor, and another tunnel to Holyhead.

EDIT: Drat I just noticed I put the brick going the wrong way on the tunnel. I guess once I finish adding the other details it will not be that noticeable. I going to weather it a bit with the airbrush.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 87

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
North Wales Coast Line

alcors1 said:
EDIT: Drat I just noticed I put the brick going the wrong way on the tunnel. I guess once I finish adding the other details it will not be that noticeable. ...
Not trying to be critical or picky or anything, but it did sort of jump out at me immediately as soon as I saw the picture. :scratch: I'm not sure what 'other details' would take the eye away from it? I'm not saying you should, but if it was mine I'd correct it a.s.a.p. before going much further...

A

alcors1

North Wales Coast Line

Jordan said:
[quote=""alcors1"":1pl8rs7j]
EDIT: Drat I just noticed I put the brick going the wrong way on the tunnel. I guess once I finish adding the other details it will not be that noticeable. ...
Not trying to be critical or picky or anything, but it did sort of jump out at me immediately as soon as I saw the picture. :scratch: I'm not sure what 'other details' would take the eye away from it? I'm not saying you should, but if it was mine I'd correct it a.s.a.p. before going much further...[/quote:1pl8rs7j]

yep this morning when I looked at it, I changed my mined, it will be swapped out tonight.

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
North Wales Coast Line

Hi Alcors1
Interesting project you have there :thumbs: Have you thought about using polystyrene for the hills/embankments, this stuff i find to be alot better to get a nice contour :thumbs:

Rob :wave:

A

alcors1

North Wales Coast Line

lancer1027 said:
Hi Alcors1
Interesting project you have there :thumbs: Have you thought about using polystyrene for the hills/embankments, this stuff i find to be alot better to get a nice contour :thumbs:

Rob :wave:

I have thought about it, but I do not have the right tools to deal with it, or any polystyrene, I have a ton of rocks made from my first layout, so I just need a basic frame under neath. most of the raised areas will have road and terrace house on. Just a 3 places will it be complete hills.

A

alcors1

North Wales Coast Line

waited all week for my first UK train,

and here it is a Bachmann Class 24 with sound.

I been impressed with the detail level and the sound, but the part that go on the buffer beam, seem to be missing some. Does any one know where I can get link connectors?

I also got some hornby stock, 6 oil cars and 1 brake van, the horny cars do not do well on my atlas points, they derail and rock on the frogs. Does any one make replacement wheels which would be a little wider ?

[attachment=0:3k7lt9ob]IMG_0016.jpg[/attachment:3k7lt9ob]

[attachment=1:3k7lt9ob]IMG_0009.JPG[/attachment:3k7lt9ob]

in the background you can see my Alco RS1 - SPS, this is a custom brass loco, had to strip it down due to a on board fuse that blow in the sound decoder, leaves the sound working but no motor function, cost about 12 pounds to get it fixed.

Attachments

• IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 68

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
North Wales Coast Line

alcors1 said:
I been impressed with the detail level and the sound, but the part that go on the buffer beam, seem to be missing some. Does any one know where I can get link connectors?

...also, the horny cars do not do well on my atlas points, they derail and rock on the frogs. Does any one make replacement wheels which would be a little wider ?
Firstly the 24 Coupling. I don't know for certain, but I don't think the Screw-link Coupling is included with R-T-R stuff usually. The problem is that it'd hang down & foul the tension-lock coupler fitted. Check if that coupling is fitted to the body or the bogie (truck); if it's fitted to the truck it may foul the buffer beam pipework (if fitted) as it swings on curves. You will probably find the tension-lock coupler one of the most frustrating things about UK models. The drivetrain has caught up with US standards these days, but 20-odd years ago the couplers and the awful old "pancake" motors were two of the main reasons many UK modellers turned to modelling the Dark Side instead... :bowdown: :bowdown:
If the models have the right "NEM" mounting box, then Kadee's #17 through 20 will be plug-in replacements. :thumbs: With the sharp curves you have you won't be able to use 3-link / Screw-link couplers on their own.

Re Wheels. When you say "a little wider" I take it you mean the distance apart on the axle- the "Back-to-back"; not each wheel having wider tread, because it sounds like that's what the problem is..? The back-to-back should be adjustable to a degree. Funnily enough I've had to do the very same thing to a few US cars that weren't running well through Peco points... :scratch: :lol: :lol:

A

alcors1

North Wales Coast Line

Jordan said:
[quote=""alcors1"":8krw7emx]

...also, the horny cars do not do well on my atlas points, they derail and rock on the frogs. Does any one make replacement wheels which would be a little wider ?
Firstly the 24 Coupling. I don't know for certain, but I don't think the Screw-link Coupling is included with R-T-R stuff usually. The problem is that it'd hang down & foul the tension-lock coupler fitted. Check if that coupling is fitted to the body or the bogie (truck); if it's fitted to the truck it may foul the buffer beam pipework (if fitted) as it swings on curves. You will probably find the tension-lock coupler one of the most frustrating things about UK models. The drivetrain has caught up with US standards these days, but 20-odd years ago the couplers and the awful old "pancake" motors were two of the main reasons many UK modellers turned to modelling the Dark Side instead... :bowdown: :bowdown:
If the models have the right "NEM" mounting box, then Kadee's #17 through 20 will be plug-in replacements. :thumbs: With the sharp curves you have you won't be able to use 3-link / Screw-link couplers on their own.

Re Wheels. When you say "a little wider" I take it you mean the distance apart on the axle- the "Back-to-back"; not each wheel having wider tread, because it sounds like that's what the problem is..? The back-to-back should be adjustable to a degree. Funnily enough I've had to do the very same thing to a few US cars that weren't running well through Peco points... :scratch: :lol: :lol:[/quote:8krw7emx]

I been looking into the screw coupler options, but still not sure, Neil has them and they look great, I might be able to use kadees NEM, only if it allows me to dangle other pipes on the buffer beam.

you are corrected I meant the distance apart on the axle- the "Back-to-back".

A

alcors1

North Wales Coast Line

tore up the tracks tonight, not sure if my plan was good. Going back to the board to think about how to make a more realistic layout. Maybe a will just do 1 place, but do it well, allowing for longer passenger trains, I will have to look a llandudno junction / llandudno. at the moment I have riped out the double track and made it a single with feeders to the hidden stage in 2 different towns.

my layout space is j shaped with a 12 ft x 14" in the long section, 6 ft x 15" and 3 ft x 15. if you have any ideas on what might be awesome, let me know, I am open for suggestions. I still want to keep it Wales (mid to north, BR TOPS 1972-1982)

A

alcors1

North Wales Coast Line

After a few hours on the phone with my Dad, and surfing around the internet and looking at google earth, I realized, my wants and reality do not live on the same street. I am really trying to get a looks a feel for north wales, that is it. If I was doing this before internet, then I would not have a clue (not like I have one now), specially being here in the USA.

[attachment=3:3nky6gg9]IMG_0039.JPG[/attachment:3nky6gg9]

Holyhead

[attachment=2:3nky6gg9]IMG_0041.JPG[/attachment:3nky6gg9]

Bangor

[attachment=1:3nky6gg9]IMG_0040.JPG[/attachment:3nky6gg9]

Bangor

[attachment=0:3nky6gg9]IMG_0038.JPG[/attachment:3nky6gg9]

Llandudno

I am open to suggestions so feel free, nothing is set in stone.

Ordered a Blue/Gray 2 car DMU over the week end, hope it get shipped tomorrow, then I will have it saturday. Been looking at howes sound decoder, they sure are pricey.

Where can I get people from to put inside, and how do I change the destination names in the cabs?

Attachments

• IMG_0038.JPG
    IMG_0038.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0040.JPG
    IMG_0040.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0041.JPG
    IMG_0041.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 37
A

alcors1

North Wales Coast Line

little youtube made on my iPhone in HD.

I have ordered and it is in the mail, a DMU 108. I am looking for a sound decoder, I know Howes has one, as does SWD, and now Olivias, working on the best deal, will have to install myself (no big deal), I do not pay VAT so that should reduce the price a little.

Also been scout 08, working out if it is better to purchase a Bachmann and add sound (will use a cheap US sound decoder), or Hornby with sound installed.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
North Wales Coast Line

alcors1 said:
... If I was doing this before internet, then I would not have a clue, specially being here in the USA.
With you all the way there, specially being here in the UK!!! :p :lol: :drool:
The Internet has been a fantastic asset to research the Railways & Railroads of other countries... I like to think my current Soo Line locos are far more accurate to prototype than the ones I did in N scale 20 years ago... :scratch: :oops:

Re getting the "feel" of the North Wales lines, no doubt you are following Neil's thread here on his Morfa layout (and :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: like the rest of us!)... although your available area is somewhat different, maybe try and replace the long straight run of track with a more flowing curved line (with flexi-track) - even by taking it in towards the middle of the board from each corner, if you follow me? I hope Neil doesn't mind me copying this picture from his thread, but imagine this is your board, with the edge on the left (the sea) and the middle on the right (hills)...

file.php

See what I mean..?