Phil's boat building bench

simond

Western Thunderer
Well, if it’s variable, you’ll have to develop it.

If you’ve got CAD that you can send over, I could have a go during my lunchtime. It’s one of those interesting problems...

Atb
Simon

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon,

Thanks for the offer. What CAD format do you use, I'm using QCAD which defaults at .dxf there are several other options, but when I tried .dwg it didn't seem to work.

simond

Western Thunderer
Hi Phil,

I have TurboCAD and Solidworks. SW will import pretty much any format. I’ve PM’d you my email address.

Atb
Simon

Phil O

Western Thunderer
I mean't to post yesterday, but I got distracted. I have more or less beaten the hull into submission, lots of filing and filling and more filing. I think I'm fairly happy with the result.

Corona 9.jpg

Just needs the rudder sorting, to finish the underside, but I will save that for later, as it's likely to get knocked off. There's a silver lining to the removal of the gunwale around the stern and that it will allow the making and fitting of the timber decking, as marked in blue on the drawing.The timber decking up for'd will have to wait until the superstructure is in place. I'm not sure how I will do this, the choices are to scribe it, or make it up from strip, I may well do a scribed version and see how that turns out.

I now need to mark off the position of the fairleads and port holes and order some rod and or tube for these items once I have the sizes, plus tube for the funnel. I can't see any scuppers, either on the drawing or the photo's, but there must have been some otherwise the deck would have been awash. At the moment I think I will send the jury out to deliberate on this point.

And finally I need to offer a debt of gratide Simon for offering to help out with the stern bulwark problem. Thanks Simon.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
There's not been a lot of progress, although there has been a lot of very foul language, trying to get the stern timber decking to an acceptable styandard. it's not perfect, but hopefully some of the mistakes will be covered by the overhang of the bulwark and the rest will disapear under deck detritus.

Corona 11.jpg

I have also taken delivery of my order for various diameters of plastic tube, so the funnel has been sorted, whilst I have been waiting for the solvent to disapate, before adding the next strip.

The obsevant will also notice the body of an Oxford AA3 toad, this is going through an upgrade in accordance with Ullypug's blog on the other channel. This is another fill in job.

I will need to get back to sorting the stern bulwark, Simon has not had the success that was hoped for, so it will be back to further attempts at the CAD, I have a few ideas, that I will play about with, but I will give that a few days, before I start again.

Giles

Western Thunderer
Re the stern balwarks, I might simply tape a sheet of A4 paper round the stern at an angle, like a bonnet, and trace the horizontal on to it, and get the development that way.

Looking impressive!

simond

Western Thunderer
Tom is on a Solidworks course today, he has the file with the 3D form in it, and will ask the tutor for inspiration.

If that doesn't work, my approach would be to create the gunwale rail, supported by however many ribs might be required, and then tape the paper over it, and the deck line, and apply the wax crayon to highlight the two curves. Once you've cut that out, it can be transferred to thin plasticard.

atb
Simon

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Tom is on a Solidworks course today, he has the file with the 3D form in it, and will ask the tutor for inspiration.

If that doesn't work, my approach would be to create the gunwale rail, supported by however many ribs might be required, and then tape the paper over it, and the deck line, and apply the wax crayon to highlight the two curves. Once you've cut that out, it can be transferred to thin plasticard.

atb
Simon

Thanks Simon,

I will await developments at your end.

I have made a start on the fairleads, the eyes of the boat are done, but need a little fettling. The holes are drilled for the other fairleads are drilled in the existing bulwarks, I need to visit the clubroom and turn up the fairleads.

simond

Western Thunderer
Fingers crossed, we have a solution. I got an email, but unfortunately after I left the office. I shall report tomorrow!

Atb
Simon

simond

Western Thunderer
upload_2020-6-16_11-45-19.png

Success! I have sent you a PDF with the developed template on it, which should be to scale.

When Tom comes back from his training, I will learn how it was done. I'm also curious to understand the dimensions that the system has generated, as it seems to be 180 degrees total to me...

upload_2020-6-16_11-46-49.png

atb
Simon

michael080

Western Thunderer
wow,

the magic of 3D-CAD.
Long ago, I learned to drawing 3D tube intersections, funnels etc., but this was complicated and I never had any chance to actually use it in my career.
All this knowledge is obsolete today. The most exciting part of 3D sheet metal-CAD is that you get cutting patterns that can go directly to the laser cutting machine.

Michael

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Fairleads duly turned and fitted.

Corona 12.jpg
The fairleads are just about disernable in this Starboard side piccy, you can't see them at all in the port piccy, just the holes. White is not the best medium to try and photograph, less so on the phone.

Many thanks to Simon for help with the bulwark development, I have printed it off and will see how it goes, as the boat has crossed the river to the clubroom.

JohnG

Nice work Phil,

It's great that Simon has helped with the 3D stuff, I agree with Micheal regarding the progress in computer generated development and laser nesting and cutting, it is the only modern way to remain commercially competitive, you can do in seconds what previously took hours. As you know I am a time served Sheetmetal worker and the development of these shapes by hand is not too difficult, simple triangulation would be the way to go, just don't lose your 'place', Draw the plan view, section the top and bottom, number the top and letter the bottom or vise versa, step out number to number, letter to letter, but triangulate number to letter over the height to establish the true lengths, if symmetrical, then work out from the centre line to halve the work and away you go just keep plotting......easy really..... it's time consuming but 45 years ago we had little choice. now sadly it's becoming a lost art, as was getting the marking blue from around your fingernails.

Well done all, great camaraderie, great modelling.

John

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Hi John,

Thanks, wish you'd come along earlier, you have just stirred the grey matter and reminded me how to go about it, but thanks to Simon and the dark art of 3d. I/we seem to be on the right path now, a trial fit this morning proved that we're on the right track, I just need to up-size the pattern a tad, which I have just printed off and will check it out tomorrow. The only sheet working I did was with 1.6mm stainless, either galley work or boiler casings, everything else was 1/4 and upwards, the worst was 3/4 thick valve boxes for subs, which had shouldered corners and we weren't allowed to anneal or press hot.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Today's progress is the Stbd side portholes are done and I hope won't look too bad.

Corona 13.jpg

Pt side is nearly there, 3 out of the four done.

Corona 14.jpg

Hopefully I can crack off the remaining 3 portholes tomorrow and I can put the lid on the superstructure and fit it into the hull. It will then be onto adding the remaining bulwark and detailing.

As I was over the clybroom, there was a little progress on the 1361's, whilst I was waiting for the solvent to disperse.

Again apologies for the rubbish pictures.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
A bit late on parade today all. It's been one of them days when I should have stayed in bed until lunchtime. I went over the club room this morning and forgot the template for the bulwark. I fitted the last stbd porthole and then mucked up the front pair, which led to the recourse of a lot of foul language, especially when the 2nd one went west. Anyway after several more attempts I finally got the little b@$#%@#%s sorted, I have the photos and will post them once I download them to the laptop. I then proceeded to give the club room and bit of a clean up before I b@@@red up anything else.

This afternoon I cut out and tried the bulwark template and to my astonishment it was pretty good, so whilst on a roll I cut the plasticard and I 'm in the process of sniffing solvent fumes as I beat it into submission, 2/3rds of the way there. I will take a photo or two once the evil deed is done.

Thanks to one and all for your support and especially Simon for the time and effort put in on my behalf.

jonte

Western Thunderer
A bit late on parade today all. It's been one of them days when I should have stayed in bed until lunchtime. I went over the club room this morning and forgot the template for the bulwark. I fitted the last stbd porthole and then mucked up the front pair, which led to the recourse of a lot of foul language, especially when the 2nd one went west. Anyway after several more attempts I finally got the little b@$#%@#%s sorted, I have the photos and will post them once I download them to the laptop. I then proceeded to give the club room and bit of a clean up before I b@@@red up anything else.

This afternoon I cut out and tried the bulwark template and to my astonishment it was pretty good, so whilst on a roll I cut the plasticard and I 'm in the process of sniffing solvent fumes as I beat it into submission, 2/3rds of the way there. I will take a photo or two once the evil deed is done.

Thanks to one and all for your support and especially Simon for the time and effort put in on my behalf.

Perhaps our luck’s a changing, Phil ;)

Pleased for you.

Looking forward to the pics.

Jonte

Phil O

Western Thunderer
OK, here are a couple of pictures of the fairleads and portholes, these pictures are a bit clearer as I took them on the tea making bench after I cleaned and before I replaced the paraphernalia.

Corona 15.jpg

Corona 16.jpg

Once I have strirred my bones into action I will post a photo of the stern bulwark.