Prototypr help needed please (kettle alert!)

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Can anyone identify this for me? I photographed it at Liss in May 1970 alongside David Shepherd's 9F when Liss (on the then closed Longmoor Military Railway) was suggested as a preservation site. At the time I'd lost my prototype railway mojo (end of steam and all that) and didn't bother with the details or, indeed, the precise date. It's certain that the loco is 139something, and that the number is in raised numerals on the buffer beam, although it's possible that this detail is post preservation.

I remember the occasion well. I was driving mum and dad for a "day out in the country" (does anyone else remember doing that for fun?) and, as we passed the LMR father (with only a minimal interest in railways) suggested we call in to see what was left of the LMR. That's when we found the two locos.

Anyway, any thoughts will be appreciated. (Oh, how I appreciate and enjoy this forum!)

BTW, Mickoo, I've recently scanned some great B & W challenges for you. When they've been post processed I'll show them here for comments.

Brian

Unidentified 0-4-0ST.  Liss.  May 1970.  FINAL.  Photo by Brian Dale.jpg

AJC

Western Thunderer
Here we go: http://www.yeovilrailway.freeservers.com/locomotivesandrollingstock.html

It currently sports an 'interesting' vinyl totem on the tank side and a wholly erroneous and inappropriate Yeovil shedplate on the smokebox door. Dad is doing a few bits and pieces at the Yeovil Railway Centre (the joys of being newly retired) and I gather the latest project is to destroy a perfectly good and appropriate LSWR cupboard door 8 plank by turning it into a faux Yeovil Gasworks private owner (the original was a GRCW 5 plank). I am underwhelmed by this.

Adam

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
If you fancy a read, David shepards 'a brush with steam' book is worth a go, with his many trials and tribulations... It's amazing that he stuck with steam for as long as he did! He had a bit of a horror story with early preservation.

JB.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thanks for all your comments. As ever very helpful in tracking down the origin of the loco and it's subsequent locations and performance.

Shame that Yeovil decided it was OK to sacrifice an original LSWR vehicle though.

Brian