1/32 Python P14's

Discussion in 'G1/32' started by Dave Bowden, 7 October 2019.

  1. Peter Cross

    Peter Cross Western Thunderer

    The windows in the model look wrong compared to prototype photo.
    They look a bit small, plank counting, the bolection in prototype is all but 4 planks but only 3 in model. Both seem to start in the same place, plank wise.
     
  2. David Halfpenny

    David Halfpenny Western Thunderer

    It's all a bit strange, given that the model has 5% more planks than the specific prototype photo (though not necessarily every prototype van).

    So here's an overlay of the model photo side onto the prototype photo side:

    Pythons.jpg

    The ratio of Height to Length isn't right, but the relative sizes and locations of the strapping and 'lights' shows clearly.
     
    mswjr and Dave Bowden like this.
  3. Dave Bowden

    Dave Bowden Western Thunderer

    Hi Peter
    I agree with you about the windows but to rectify them would make me loose the will to live! As it is there are lots of other discrepancies that need fixing so as to make it an acceptable model. If and when I can get Ken West to talk to me I'll try to get him to modify the differences. He is currently working on the 1/32 Siphon C's so when that's done maybe he will move on to the P14, but I need some more ref. details before that can happen.
    Dave
     
  4. Dave Bowden

    Dave Bowden Western Thunderer

    Hi David
    The 'in the clear' measurment is out by 5.24mm, but I didn't wish to add to any more problems for Ken.
    Dave
     
  5. Dave Bowden

    Dave Bowden Western Thunderer

    Having looked at the prototype again I realised the side strapping is not proportionally correct. So here's a new photo of another P14 No.550 and the side I've already put the straps on If you compare you can see the height is wrong. I fitted the straps into the model's provided holes. So later today I will post a photo of the other side I've been working on and you will then see the difference.
    Python P14 550.jpg
    P14_Model1_2.jpg
    Dave
     
    Last edited: 23 November 2019
    john lewsey and Keith Phillips like this.
  6. Dave Bowden

    Dave Bowden Western Thunderer

    Here's the other side photo, as you can see I've fitted new longer straps which are more like the prototype in size.
    P14_Model1_3.jpg

    To make these is time consuming as each one is made up of two pieces soldered together, but before that they have to be reduced in width by 1mm and then 3 holes drilled 1.1mm.

    I shall now replace the ones on the other side with the same as these. There are 56 plastic 1.5mm hex bolt rivets to each vehicle, so to complete my other Python P14 I've now ordered two more blocks that each have 100 on.
    Dave
     
    Last edited: 23 November 2019
  7. Dave Bowden

    Dave Bowden Western Thunderer

    I've changed the title to the Pythons as I no longer have the Siphon C (sold it) so this will be about my two P14's from now on.

    One of them has now had the strapping on the sides replaced to ones of more realistic sizes, and a coat of Sadolin to seal the mdf.
    P14_2.jpg
    P14_1.jpg
    So as to not get the sides mixed up I've put 'x & xx' on the roof beams.

    I've now cut up the 24 pieces of strapping for the 2nd P14 and tinned them prior to soldering them together, then I shall drill 3 holes in each one.
    Both sides require filling in all the areas and holes in the wrong place as it have done with the one above.

    Dave
     
    Last edited: 3 July 2020
  8. Dave Bowden

    Dave Bowden Western Thunderer

    I've now done quite a lot to the underframe and the L/W fittings photos below. I've also duplicated the two photos of the wheels that I'd added in another thread to here as well.
    P14 Underframe_3.jpg
    P14 Underframe_4.jpg
    P14 Wheels_1.jpg
    P14 Wheels_2.jpg

    The ends of the axles have been turned down to take roller bearings.
    I now have to fabricate all the DCIII brake gear!

    Dave
     
  9. Dave Bowden

    Dave Bowden Western Thunderer

    I decided to progress the 2nd P14 build by adding the strapping on the sides. These are now soldered together, holes drilled and ends shortened and rounded. This has only been done on one side so far and prior to this the side was painted with Sadolin to seal it.
    New holes also had to be drilled.
    The first photo is of the other side before painting and straps fitted.
    P14 Model 2_1.jpg
    I found that more filling in was required, this can be seen were I've sanded it down in the door area. I shall now go ahead and paint it with Sadolin.

    P14 Model 2_3.jpg
    It can now be seen as to the painted and non painted sides. The doors area has not yet dried out from the extra sanding and painting I did this morning. There are 28 Zinge Ind. hex headed plastic rivets fitted so far.
    The square cut-out in the middle of the doors under the windows shouldn't be there, this has been filled in, and I will have to go back to model no.1 and do the same.

    Dave
     
  10. Dave Bowden

    Dave Bowden Western Thunderer

    I have now fitted the strapping to the other side of the P14 model 2. last week I spent cleaning up and preparing the W/M & L/W parts ready for BC treatment. The steam/vac and screw link coupling all had to cut from a sprues and in the case of the SLC drilled out and tapped 10ba.
    As you will see below it is surprising just how many parts there are.
    P14 Model 2_Chassis parts1.jpg
    P14 Model 2_Chassis parts2.jpg

    The untreated wheels in my last post above are the ones in theses two photos

    Dave
     
    Keith Phillips and Peter Cross like this.