Query - Lightmoor British Carriage & Wagon Builders book

Chris Veitch

Western Thunderer
Can any owners of Lightmoor's interesting-looking British Carriage & Wagon Builders tell me if it features anything on Forrester's of Vauxhall Foundry, Liverpool? They were a mid-19th Century rolling stock builder although I believe much of their work was in shipbuilding or other engineering. Given the number of 19th Century modellers on WT I'm sure there must be somebody out there with a copy.

I'm not after a copy of the entry or book loan - just to know if they're in there. The book looks interesting anyway and I've come across Forrester's in some research I'm doing so I'd like to know if it's worth getting a copy for both entertainment and research value - and Christmas.

Thanks,

Chris

PS Just realised this probably should be in "Questions & Queries". Anyone know how - or if - I can move it?

Last edited:

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Can any owners of Lightmoor's interesting-looking British Carriage & Wagon Builders tell me if it features anything on Forrester's of Vauxhall Foundry, Liverpool? They were a mid-19th Century rolling stock builder although I believe much of their work was in shipbuilding or other engineering. Given the number of 19th Century modellers on WT I'm sure there must be somebody out there with a copy.

I'm not after a copy of the entry or book loan - just to know if they're in there. The book looks interesting anyway and I've come across Forrester's in some research I'm doing so I'd like to know if it's worth getting a copy for both entertainment and research value - and Christmas.

Thanks,

Chris

PS Just realised this probably should be in "Questions & Queries". Anyone know how - or if - I can move it?

Hello @Chris Veitch
Sadly, the Lightmoor book - a lovely thing, and rich in history - has nothing on Forrester’s or the Vauxhall Foundry. However, Grace’s Guide notes them as having a short-lived interest as locomotive builders: George Forrester and Co - Graces Guide

Cheers

Jan

Arty

Western Thunderer
Sorry that was a bit abrupt, the phone went, looked through the index and flicked through the book but no mention.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
This book was substantially revised recently (was it last year) with a lot of new content.
On the off chance I just checked the revised book and again nothing.

Chris Veitch

Western Thunderer
Many thanks chaps. I'm interested in them in connection with research into gunpowder traffic on the Festiniog Railway as they were suggested as possible builders of their iron gunpowder vans.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I have asked this question of Ian Pope who tells me that:-

1/ there is no infomation about Forrester in the book;
2/ the scope of the book is wagons built for the "standard" gauge lines.

regards, Graham