Rescue and recyling - could this be the answer ?

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
I recently lost my garage layout following catastrophic damage after a severe roof leak. Metcalfe kits unfortunately succumb following a good soaking to a state beyond recall and one of the boards was well soaked too. This was the straw that broke the camels back, so to speak, and I abandoned the layout completely. I also abandoned the idea of building another layout in my unheated garage again, too. Certain surviving elements of the layout have been incorporated in my other layout in a heated and dry shed - see my Whatborough Camp thread. The troubling thing is that now I find myself with a number of kits, vehicles and other items bought originally for the now abandoned layout and nowhere for them to be used. I am sure you can see the problem.

There was a glimmer of good fortune. Quite surprisingly, the baseboard that was thoroughly drenched, having been carefully stacked, end on, and allowed to dry naturally, had done so without any sign of warping or other deterioration. So here I am - a 66" x 24" bespoke base board hanging around waiting for action. Is this the solution to my problems - a micro-layout? Well, it's a possibility and it is just a matter of a bit of thinking as to homing the half-relief shops, houses and the engine shed among others in a plan :confused: ! It is essential that it will represent the end of a branch line with accommodation at the terminus for a two coach push-pull set.

Well, I'm working on it and an idea is coming together -slowly!!! If it transpires there will be a new 'Cropsham' thread on the Layouts forum (why not re-use a good name when you've already thought of it......;)) Having said that any thoughts or suggestions - polite one's only, please - are most welcome.

Roger :).

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
I built most of the structures for a lockdown layout and then set the project aside when I started in 7mm scale. I put all of the structures into a display cabinet, and somehow both the structures and the bare layout now look happier. The structures could easily come together on a different (future) layout, and the bare layout could end up with a completely different scenic treatment. The only downsides being the finite space for layouts and the lack of residual lifetime to build everything I want to try.

jonte

Western Thunderer
I recently lost my garage layout following catastrophic damage after a severe roof leak. Metcalfe kits unfortunately succumb following a good soaking to a state beyond recall and one of the boards was well soaked too. This was the straw that broke the camels back, so to speak, and I abandoned the layout completely. I also abandoned the idea of building another layout in my unheated garage again, too. Certain surviving elements of the layout have been incorporated in my other layout in a heated and dry shed - see my Whatborough Camp thread. The troubling thing is that now I find myself with a number of kits, vehicles and other items bought originally for the now abandoned layout and nowhere for them to be used. I am sure you can see the problem.

There was a glimmer of good fortune. Quite surprisingly, the baseboard that was thoroughly drenched, having been carefully stacked, end on, and allowed to dry naturally, had done so without any sign of warping or other deterioration. So here I am - a 66" x 24" bespoke base board hanging around waiting for action. Is this the solution to my problems - a micro-layout? Well, it's a possibility and it is just a matter of a bit of thinking as to homing the half-relief shops, houses and the engine shed among others in a plan :confused: ! It is essential that it will represent the end of a branch line with accommodation at the terminus for a two coach push-pull set.

Well, I'm working on it and an idea is coming together -slowly!!! If it transpires there will be a new 'Cropsham' thread on the Layouts forum (why not re-use a good name when you've already thought of it......;)) Having said that any thoughts or suggestions - polite one's only, please - are most welcome.

:thumbs: :thumbs:

Engine shed and presumably a ‘green’ coloured two car set?

Seaton automatically springs to mind, Roger, and a brief search reveals the following track plan which I reckon should fit the area available: Seaton LSWR, Devon. More or less.

Just an idea, but I’m pleased that even this cloud has a silver lining ;)

Cheers,

Jon

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
I built most of the structures for a lockdown layout and then set the project aside when I started in 7mm scale. I put all of the structures into a display cabinet, and somehow both the structures and the bare layout now look happier. The structures could easily come together on a different (future) layout, and the bare layout could end up with a completely different scenic treatment. The only downsides being the finite space for layouts and the lack of residual lifetime to build everything I want to try.
Richard,
I know the feeling about available remaining lifespan - very much so! The best of luck in re-vitalising your possible 7mm project

:thumbs: :thumbs:

Engine shed and presumably a ‘green’ coloured two car set?

Seaton automatically springs to mind, Roger, and a brief search reveals the following track plan which I reckon should fit the area available: Seaton LSWR, Devon. More or less.

Just an idea, but I’m pleased that even this cloud has a silver lining ;)

Cheers,

Jon
Jon,

Stop being a railway modeller and go on the stage as a mind-reader :) ! To be fair though, it will be a far more urban with a track plan nodding towards Seaton whilst the surroundings being more like one of the options from Yorkshire Dave in #4 above - to whom I send thanks as well.

Roger :) :thumbs:.

jonte

Western Thunderer
Richard,
I know the feeling about available remaining lifespan - very much so! The best of luck in re-vitalising your possible 7mm project

Jon,

Stop being a railway modeller and go on the stage as a mind-reader :) ! To be fair though, it will be a far more urban with a track plan nodding towards Seaton whilst the surroundings being more like one of the options from Yorkshire Dave in #4 above - to whom I send thanks as well.

Roger :) :thumbs:.
:))

I seem finally to have discovered a latent talent at long last !

How about this one then, Roger, for a little more urban atmosphere Disused Stations: Uxbridge Vine Street Station

Apologies in advance for the GWR slant, but hoping you can manage to overlook that bit ;)

Jon

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Gentlemen all, you are so very kind in supplying links and constructive comments, all of which have given me much food for thought, not least of which is that I will add a little length by means of a detachable fiddle yard where trains can run on and off a tray which can be bodily lifted, (per the Peter Denny inspired plan in one of the RM booklets), and reversed for the return journey. I do feel a turntable would be a luxury, not to mention space gobbler on such small set up but there is so much more to get the old imagination in to top gear :thumbs:.
My most grateful thanks to all.

To paraphrase Fu Manchu - "The hobby will hear from me again" (Giving my age away once more.........:D.)

Roger ;).

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
A final note for this thread - and to show that the many suggestions kindly supplied from members have been put to good use - I would like to say that details of the commencement of construction of a new Cropsham, which will shortly arise from the recovered and recycled wreckage, will appear in due course in the appropriate sub-forum.

Thank you all once more,