Richard's Workbench - T3

Discussion in 'Workbenches, including workshop techniques.' started by Dikitriki, 15 November 2017.

1. Steph Dale

Steph Dale Western Thunderer

They do - that's how you can tell them apart :D

Steph

Dan Randall, daifly and Scale7JB like this.
  2. Pencarrow

Pencarrow Western Thunderer

They do, it's just the names and numbers that enable you to identify them. :p

Must admit though that my knowledge of early LSWR types isn't what it should be. I am of course suitably educated on Beattie Well Tanks and the variaties of T9 but my period of interest is mid 50s onwards so I've not really spent much time looking at the earlier types that disappeared before this.

Dan Randall likes this.
  3. Peter Cross

Peter Cross Western Thunderer

Chris. Now if it was early 50's a lot early locos were still around. BR seem to think they were past their sell by date.

4. Bob Bunker

Bob Bunker New Member

Hi - I am currently trying to work out how to fit inside valve gear to a 7mm Beattie Well Tank, I understand it was Allan valve gear, but I have no idea of the actual layout - do you have any diagrams, photos etc that I could borrow please? Thanks

Bob Bunker
    Hong Kong

5. AJC

AJC Western Thunderer

Are you sure that's correct? Not really my area - more @Steph Dale's but I'd always thought they were Stephenson's. The 1366 panniers and the 1361s certainly do have Allan gear (supposedly because the Cornwall Minerals Railway locos they're derived from did), but they're obviously nothing to do with the Beattie design...

Adam

6. oldravendale

oldravendale Western Thunderer

David B likes this.
  7. Lyndhurstman

Lyndhurstman Western Thunderer

AJC likes this.
  8. AJC

AJC Western Thunderer

Perhaps more useful than anything I could say on the topic - does this help at all?

2-4-0T - Beattie Well Tank, 5ft 6ins Driving Wheels (GA of the thing as built).

Adam

Lyndhurstman likes this.
  9. Lyndhurstman

Lyndhurstman Western Thunderer

10. AJC

AJC Western Thunderer

This barely technically-literate rude mechanical has no idea what type of valve gear it shows, however - though it does demonstrate what is there which is - hopefully - a help.

Adam

Last edited: 24 February 2020
    oldravendale and Lyndhurstman like this.
  11. adrian

adrian Flying Squad

The drawing I believe shows Allan gear. The straight expansion link of the motion can be made out on the drawing.
    Screenshot 2020-02-24 at 16.19.29.png

Which although reversed matches the diagram from this link.

Locomotive Valve Gears 1

AJC likes this.
  12. oldravendale

oldravendale Western Thunderer

May I suggest an alternative?

Why not contact the loco owner (for the non-NRM one), or even the NRM?

Brian

13. Bob Bunker

Bob Bunker New Member

What a cornucopia of helpful advice... Thanks folks... I had assumed it was Allan's, because (a) Griffin's website said Beattie locos and (b) there is precious little room to get valve gear in, so the reduced height of Allan gear would make sense...
    In fact why am I doing it anyway? Just because it is a challenge..! Fact is, with this corona-virus scare (even though here in Hong Kong we have far fewer cases than plenty of other countries), self and wife are tending to hunker down at home and not go out much, so I am catching up on the pile of kits on the shelf, and had a fit of masochism to attempt inside gear on the Beattie...
    Well done, team - much appreciated!
    Thanks again
    Bob Bunker
    Hong Kong

John Baker, adrian, AJC and 1 other person like this.
  14. Dikitriki

Dikitriki Flying Squad

It's been a while, but the T3 has had its radio control fitted, and I have spent some time making it just so prior to handover. I took some pics while it was being tested on Heyside (bit of a wrong turn somewhere), and will take some studio ones when the sun is re-lit.

P1010169a.jpg

P1010170a.jpg

P1010171a.jpg

Richard