RJR Shed Autumn 2010

rjr

Western Thunderer
Following posting some thoughts in the talk section of the forum regarding changes brought on by planning to move inside for the winter as the garden gets cold. I thought I would start a new thread to document my changes..

I think starting with what you do know, is always a good place.. I am undecided about lots of things, but I have decided that N gauge is not for me. So I have started clearing that out. Still no decisions about what will take its place but hopefully seeing some space will help me decide.

SDC17554.jpg

SDC17552.jpg

SDC17550.jpg

I've put the G scale 20 in the space just to get a feel for how big or rather how small the space is.

SDC17555.jpg

SDC17558.jpg

So I guess that's a 156 and a 66 in N to sell !!!

rjr

Western Thunderer
A bit more progress or perhaps it would be more appropriate to say " a few more steps back" due to the fact that all my efforts have been in destruction !!

Both side of the shed bench work are now back to the bare boards and the mountain range has now been "removed"

SDC17559.jpg

Im still not 100% sure of my way forward. but some things I am sure of...

• The back wall where the viaduct is will become my new work bench with a full width section of worktop across, this will sit high enough to allow what is now the viaduct to be used as a non scenic track bed under the worktop, this will connect the two halves of the layout that will sit on either side of the shed. The area under the wortop / around the viaduct will become a storage cupboard, possibly with a door on.[/*:m:13peoojz]
  • [/*:m:13peoojz]

• Im convinced that sadly there is not enough room to build a G scale layout on either side, at just under 6' per side and 2' locos I wouldn't get much action, it would just end up being a diorama.
    [/*:m:13peoojz]

• N gauge is out, I have given it a go but not taken to it.[/*:m:13peoojz]

• OO is possible, this will allow me to position the workbench lower than choosing G scale as well due to less clearance being needed underneath it.[/*:m:13peoojz]

• O would work and be nice but i just cant justify the cost at the moment, I have dabbled with On30 before and like the size, but don't want to go the route of either the dark side or imaginary locations again. I guess I could stroll down to the west Wales region for a WHR type set up, The advantage to me of narrow gauge is the cheaper track and mechanisms robbed of OO[/*:m:13peoojz]

In cleaning I have found some OO track under the bench

SDC17560.jpg

and some N gauge "trix" track that I will probably take to my local model shop "Arcadia"

SDC17561.jpg

along with the N class 66 .............

mergecleanclose.jpg

and turbo star ...................

SDC16487.jpg

to fund part of the new venture.

I also plan some thin shelves along the back wall over the workbench to house the G stuff in a safer, more noticeable spot, when its not being used in the garden

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Looks like some sort of progress, John, though not perhaps in the usual sense..!!

A clear-out can always be useful, especially if there's a bonus of raising some funds. :thumbs:
Then again I'm always somewhat reticent to flog stuff I think of as 'surplus', as I tend to regret it later... such as selling off the last of my U.S. HO stuff a couple of years ago. Now my lad's getting beyond "Thomas" and into U.S. HO himself (sensible kid!! ;D ) I could do with it back again!! :shit: