Rundle: An oval in a bedroom in Gauge 3

Discussion in 'G3' started by geoff_nicholls, 22 February 2018.

1. geoff_nicholls

geoff_nicholls Western Thunderer

Just like a real train set!
    I'm selling this half built GRS DMU and needed to check it runs. It does, and very well despite the curves. I could be having so much fun playing trains, if I hadn't fallen in with you lot, you bunch of po-faced rivet counters!

20181027_090909[1].jpg

2. Ian_T

Ian_T Active Member

Takes patience to count rivets Geoff - whereas the po-face came naturally! :)

IanT

76043 and geoff_nicholls like this.
  3. Yorkshire Dave

Yorkshire Dave Western Thunderer

You need either a set of O, P, C69 or C77 stock then you can have the Circle Line.

4. geoff_nicholls

Finished screwing the track down, and tried a test run with my Eastern Counties excursion 3rd and Parliamentary carriages. IMHO when you're sat inside the circle the four foot radius curve is not very noticeable. If it weren't for my proper railway taking up the other end of the room I could have increased the radius to five feet and accommodated a Wantage Tramway type layout, or something similar to Makhis' Earl of Dudley layouts.
    Viewed from the outside, the gap between the buffers is more obvious
    20181028_140020.jpg 20181028_140301.jpg

Devonbelle, chrisb, cmax and 8 others like this.
  5. Spitfire2865

Spitfire2865 Western Thunderer

All you need is a speaker under the layout playing flange squeals. That way no one can tell you its an unrealistic curve!

6. Yorkshire Dave

Look good - nice and simple. Just some ballast, weeds, grass, hedges, bushes, fences and ungated crossings to set it off light railway style.

cmax and Peter Cross like this.
  7. geoff_nicholls

you read my mind.

Sleeper Agent likes this.
  8. geoff_nicholls

More progress on Rundle. The woodwork stage of covering all but the rails, on the scenic half of the layout, is nearly complete. I've used 1.6mm ply, laser cut to my artwork by my local model shop. Very expensive, but a 24 hour turnround. The brass strips are for soldering the road checkrails in place. The far quarter will just be overgrown track. I've added a third rail for 45mm gauge on the non-scenic section, by fitting two LGB R1 turnuts I'll have the option of G scale, or some East Anglian 3' 6" gauge trams, in the future (like North Quay, Great Yarmouth).

20181115_150329.jpg 20181115_150345.jpg

9. geoff_nicholls

just soldered the check rails in the first section. Had to make the gaps 4mm to accommodate longer wheelbase wagons. Hopefully it won't look too bad once it's painted. I used 0 gauge rail for the check rails. Hopefully you lot will be too dazzled by the stunning scenery and exquisitely modelled rolling stock to notice.

10. Yorkshire Dave

I'd be tempted to fit the 'turnuts' and scenic the section to run as dual gauge. Or not even have the turnouts and have interlaced track instead with a tram shuttling from two boards similar to the 'siding' board.

11. geoff_nicholls

that describes exactly what it was like at Great Yarmouth North Quay, an aspiration for a future layout.

12. geoff_nicholls

Work is progressing, laying the sheets of setts retrieving from slimming down Aldeburgh Harbour, and dismantling Lea Siding. I'm planning to use Slaters and Busch stone sheets for the buildings, I'm hoping that will be quicker than individually laid flemish bond. Looking for suitable buildings in Sheffield, which I can check out when visiting family.
    20181217_171828.jpg

20181217_171952.jpg

13. geoff_nicholls

The cutting and shaping of the reclaimed setts is complete, all six feet of it is laid and being glued in place. Then the rest of the roadway from balsa and filling with tinted polyfilla.

20181231_153904.jpg

Couldn't resist a recreation of the famous photo of the Whaley incline on the Cromford and High Peak Railway, the current favourite choice as inspiration for scenery and buildings for the layout. Only 53 days until Rundle has its debut at the Gauge 3 society Show in Flitwick.

20181231_153202.jpg

14. Yorkshire Dave

Strange place to have a show. Being on the A6 I thought Clophill would have been more logical - unless it's hall hire etc.

Is it an 'open' or 'closed' show?

15. lankytank

lankytank Western Thunderer

Dave, it's down to 'hall hire' & availability of a room big enough for the AGM - last years was, shall we say, a little crapped, there wasn't room to get the cat in so we could swing it.....! :eek::eek::eek:

It is open to the general public (except the AGM bit) with a couple of G3 layouts - Rundle being one, along with Chalfont appearing as well, along with G3 traders.

Give us 'til later in the week & I'll try & rustle up a thread in the Exhibitions section giving chapter & verse.

Arty and geoff_nicholls like this.
  16. Ian_T

Ian_T Active Member

17. Mike W

Mike W Western Thunderer

Flitwick is on the Midland Mail Line and the hall is very close to the station, which is a big advantage for a few. Over the years we have held this show at Bedford, Leighton Buzzard, Ampthill and Milton Keynes and whilst all of those have major stations, the hall has always been a fair trot away. If you go Dave, or any other WTers, please say "hello" at my stand.

18. lankytank

lankytank Western Thunderer

Well done Mr Turner - saved me a job...….. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

19. Arty

Arty Western Thunderer

If I look at the link Ian on my mobile, I get up to the title of the traders, then nothing whilst scrolling down and eventually the pictures of last years meeting.
    Not sure if this a problem just with mobiles ?

20. Mike W

Mike W Western Thunderer

So at least you can see the picture of yourself Arty!

Arty and geoff_nicholls like this.