Rundle: An oval in a bedroom in Gauge 3

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
I get the same, Richard, I think it's just slow. BTW, is your Neilson going to be sufficiently complete for a spin on Rundle? Along with some of those ballast wagons? It would look just right.

Ian_T

Western Thunderer
OK thanks for the feedback Richard.

I've just about worked out the basics of editing the website but always look at it with my laptop. I have a rather old phone which is up to looking at WA but not much more - and is very slow when looking at the Web, so I don't tend to do so. It has a reasonable battery life though and works well as a phone (which is what I need generally). My Manager has a much newer Apple thingy (required for Facetime with G'kids) and I'll have a look at the site with that later - and see if I can improve things.

Looking forward to seeing Rundle at the AGM Geoff.

Regards,

IanT

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
The layout now has legs. The roadway is laid and the setts are fixed in place and painted and grouted with tinted polyfilla. I used an old suede brush to scrub off the surplus polyfilla; this has also burnished the setts to give a realistic sheen. They do all look freshly laid, so I will need to darken the cement a bit when I paint the road.
The wagon is a Williams Models flexikit of an RCH 5 plank stone wagon, with GRS running gear, built to look like a well used ICI wagon.

20190110_121035.jpg
20190110_121225.jpg
20190110_121317.jpg

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
It's a simplex petrol shunter, a model of the one used by the GER, LNER and finally BR, in Brentwood goods yard. BR number 15098. A retired driver in my model railway club remembers seeing it there. I wrote about its construction in my G3 Workbench thread. It's still not quite finished, needing the brakes and exhaust to be added. I have had sets of the etches, frames and castings made up and will be offering it as a kit later this year.

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
Getting very close to the G3 Society AGM/Public exhibition, Rundle will be a bit basic, but I think people will get the idea behind it. The lighting is installed, some ballast and weeds added, and the roadway painted. Few buildings though, and mostly unfinished.
20190123_194145.jpg

I haven't sorted out a proper backscene either. 20190123_194023.jpg

I'm pleased with the inlaid track .20190123_193924.jpg

The shopfront is from a Piko G scale US building. This building will be covered in weatherboard, as it's quick and easy to model (the stick is part of the lighting not thebuilding)
20190123_193839.jpg
and a photo of some buildings I hope to adapt for a future incarnation of the layout: Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet, Sheffield.
20190112_133711.jpg

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
What scale is G - 1/32, 1/35?

If so and as a thought - it could be worth looking (if you haven't done so already) at 1/35 buildings produced for military dioramas.

There are alot kits available (mostly European) some of which can be adapted for UK and also many accessory kits e.g.

images
upload_2019-1-28_18-52-5.jpeg
images
images
images

Ian_T

Western Thunderer
1/24th vehicles are commonly used in G3 layouts and don't look at all out of place. Dolls house suppliers also usually have some 1/24th materials (although it's mostly 1/12th) which can also be useful. Something that is noticeable though are figures which have been designed for "16mm/G Scale" - they are a fudge (Trade trying to cover all bases with one product) and nearly always look too big. Assuming an average height of 5ft 8-10" (fairly tall for pre-war times) a 'G' scale figure should only be about 76-78mm in height - and many are way over this. So if you combine 1/24th vehicles/houses with pseudo 'G/16mm' figures then it won't look right. (Making a general point Richard - your van & guy look just fine).

Having said all that, I do have a Brandbright 16mm driver (aka Big Fred) who had a rather painful hip operation and lost at least 6-8" in height.

Talking of "G" - G3 is practically the same scale as LGB 'G' and is modelled at either 17/32nd (Imperial) or 13.5mm (Metric) - take your pick, they are virtually the same. However these days (with the availability of CAD) - it's simpler, easier and more accurate in my view to draw models full size and then scale the drawings down - in which case the correct scaling factor (for G3) is 1:22.6 (and not 1:22.5 e.g. LGB 'G'). So full marks Trevor! :)

IanT

Ian_T

Western Thunderer
A Mountfleet 'Highlander' would look very nice Geoff - thought about getting one for the Grandson but he seems to prefer flying kites (and they are a lot cheaper too). Shouldn't think about boats at all really (not enough hours in the day already) - but I've got an old Bowman Bryant twin that badly needs a nice replica 'Sea Jay' hull to go in - or perhaps it could power a G3 tram engine on Rundle instead? Might be a bit too free-lance for you though... :)

It's an interesting little engine - it's "valveless" - as explained at the end of this YouTube.

( Sorry something keeps happening to my YouTube link - probably I don't understand the right way to post it - if still curious just search YT for "Bowman Bryant" )

IanT

Last edited:

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
Rundle is whatever takes my fancy, Ian. Live steam projects will be just as welcome as historically accurate models. I draw the line at the Donald Mcgill saucy postcard stuff some G scalers seem to like, but anything that opens people's minds to the possibilities of G3 indoors is welcome.