7mm S7 Layout

My planned S7 layout is based loosely on the ex-Great Eastern Railway terminus of Aldeburgh. Pronounced ‘Orld-bruh’. The period chosen would be post nationalisation, allowing me to run a mixture of steam and diesel.

An extract of the 1882 OS Map, courtesy NLS Maps, shows the very linear track layout. Dominated by the main station building and trainshed on the right. A relatively large goods shed in the centre. With the engine shed located at top left. Notice a line runs through the engine shed and re-joins the main line on this map.

OS_Map_1882.jpg

On later maps and images, the line beyond the engine shed has been truncated and no longer joins the main line. However in my world, that line still exists going to a private siding.

OS_Map_1927.jpg

I propose to change some structures, for example; the station building with its train shed is distinctive but not, in my view, a pretty structure. Plus once a train arrives, it would be concealed from view as the roof is supported by a solid brick wall. With the only light entering the trainshed being from each end and the toplights/ventilators.

Train_Shed_2.jpg

With this in mind, I decided to clone the Framlingham’s ‘L’ shaped station building, which is some 15 miles distant on a different branch and flip it to fit the plan. It has a traditional canopy to match the shape of the main building, which is then extended on a high supporting wall, with the remainder of the platform with a picket fence as far as the signal box. Foamboard mock-up below.

Framlingham_Mock_Up.jpg

To add interest, I introduced a curve to the platform to make the layout a touch more characterful.

The Goods Shed was moved from in front of the platform to the rear of the layout and also swapped for a representation of the slightly smaller ‘canopied’ Snape Goods Shed which is 5 miles distant and on a third local branch. I felt the original ‘through’ Goods Shed would dominate the front of the layout and would be too big at the back. The changes to buildings I propose, are all from the local area and from a similar period.

A bridge has been added only to act as a scene blocker from the, as yet to be confirmed, sector plate/traverser.

Some licence has been applied to the original track plan to add interest and give several shunting options. But I am hopeful it still has the essence of the original.

Aldeburgh_3_Draft_Q_Composite.jpg

Baseboards (Tim Horn) are sitting atop leg-supports, tied together by a 12mm plywood solebar held together by inside fishplates with prototypical domed head coach bolts. Giving an operating height of approx. 40”. The solebar/fishplate idea is not mine, credit goes to my good friend Steve for allowing me to copy his design.

Layout_20200803.jpg

Each baseboard surface is framed by 8x20mm strip wood to provide a well, into which 8mm EPDM foam (RH Nuttall) will be dropped to provide some sound deadening and to allow the buildings/structures to have their footings on the plywood baseboard surface. The foam will also allow the turnout operating mechanism to be concealed below the surface, a servo driven modified rod-in-tube approach (still in the planning stage) is favoured. I am of an age where I don’t like grovelling under baseboards, so it is my intention to top mount servos at the back of the baseboards and have the operating rod on the plywood surface. This idea came from JimG earlier this year, in his 2mm ‘Found in the Attic’ thread.

Layout_20200803_1.jpg

Just coming to my first turnout, so time for some considered thinking. ;)

Last edited:

pricei

Western Thunderer
Hi Claud,
Nice layout design. I was interested in your use of EPDM foam. Have you used it before? Does it make a big difference in reducing sound from 7mm locos?
Regards, Ian

Hi Claud,
Nice layout design. I was interested in your use of EPDM foam. Have you used it before? Does it make a big difference in reducing sound from 7mm locos?
Regards, Ian

Hi Ian,
No I've not used EPDM foam before, but previous excursions with cork/Sundeala were less than successful. The EPDM foam was discussed here a while ago in the Permanent Way Area - Underlay, what's your poison? So thought I'd give it a try. It meets my requirements in terms of providing a flat surface covering for my turnout rodding. It's light and is easy to cut and shape. If it has any sound deadening properties, that's a bonus.
Mike (not really Claud)

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
Hi Claud,
Regards, Ian
Ian,

The EPDM foam which RH Nuttall can supply is available in three grades, and can also be purchased with a self adhesive layer. I can certainly attest to it's ability to stay stuck down !

Ian