Search Engine

John Miller

Western Thunderer
I've been trying to search 'water gauges' on W/T - I've tried single quotes (') - double quotes (") - putting plus (+) between the words - putting the phrase in brackets () [] - but nothing seems to work - what's the secret?

Also - is it possible to get the post containing the desired phrase to come up at the top of the page with the actual phrase highlighted in red?

Many thanks .... :thumbs:

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
I think water+gauge works but possibly very few posts with both together.

I just tried water+gauges and your post above came straight up.

John Miller

Western Thunderer
Yes I see that - but when I click on some of the other 6 pages of returns, there seems to be a rapid succession of two or three posts shown before it settles on one apparently random post with no mention of the requested phrase - or, at best, it might mention 'gauge' or 'water'.

Oh well - thanks anyway .... :confused:

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
The software doesn't take into account the size of photographs , thus it stops where it thinks the searched for words are, then the loading of the photographs shuffles the posts down the page, leaving you with a random post.

The best you can achieve from there is do a 'Cntrl +F' search (CMD+F on a Mac) and enter water as your search term, you can then find every occurrence of water on that page.

Good luck!
Steve

PS - If you are searching for live steam stuff, you may find the odd occurrence under 'sight glass' but there is very little live steam content on WT. If its just cosmetic replica's you want to make then there are a few more posts which will probably help.

daifly

Western Thunderer
Have you tried using the top left 'Search Forums' tab rather than the top right 'Search' box? It seems to find more items.

Dave

John Miller

Western Thunderer
The software doesn't take into account the size of photographs , thus it stops where it thinks the searched for words are, then the loading of the photographs shuffles the posts down the page, leaving you with a random post.

The best you can achieve from there is do a 'Cntrl +F' search (CMD+F on a Mac) and enter water as your search term, you can then find every occurrence of water on that page.

Good luck!
Steve

Ah-ha! - that would explain it - thanks.

PS - If you are searching for live steam stuff, you may find the odd occurrence under 'sight glass' but there is very little live steam content on WT. If its just cosmetic replica's you want to make then there are a few more posts which will probably help.

Yes I've noticed that and I think it's a bit of a shame really, especially as this forum format, content, people, and pictures are among the best on the web.

Maybe part of the problem is that the "1/32" section is buried at the bottom of the last section of the index page - 4 items below the exhibition calender for goodness sake .... :)

I've noticed that your own excellent gauge 1 live/steam stuff has to be mixed in with the other items on the "Members board" in order to get the exposure it deserves.

Perhaps the "1/32" section should be elevated to the "Action" section.
Dunno - it's just a thought .... :drool:

John Miller

Western Thunderer
Have you tried using the top left 'Search Forums' tab rather than the top right 'Search' box? It seems to find more items.

Dave

Yes I have - but as my search doesn't really need the extra search refinements available in the "Search Forums" tab, it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Thank anyway - John

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Ah-ha! - that would explain it - thanks.
No problem John.
Yes I've noticed that and I think it's a bit of a shame really, especially as this forum format, content, people, and pictures are among the best on the web.
Maybe part of the problem is that the "1/32" section is buried at the bottom of the last section of the index page - 4 items below the exhibition calender for goodness sake .... :)
I've noticed that your own excellent gauge 1 live/steam stuff has to be mixed in with the other items on the "Members board" in order to get the exposure it deserves.
Perhaps the "1/32" section should be elevated to the "Action" section.
Dunno - it's just a thought .... :drool:
I don't think moving forum content around will make that much difference - most people here seem to navigate by using the 'Recent Posts' button and the majority of people I know with live steamers spend very little time on the internet as they are too busy building things and running. Its quite difficult trying to convince somebody with a huge list of things they want to build to sit in front of a computer and type about building when they could be building. There is genuinely no interest at all from their side, and if they had that much time to spare, they would be running outside :) Live steam stuff will always be an outlier here and thats fine by me - having some content serves to broaden the subjects that this forum covers and its diversity in subjects, eras, skill sets and participants is one of its great joys. Anyway, you never know what will happen in the future!
Steve

John Miller

Western Thunderer
I don't think moving forum content around will make that much difference - most people here seem to navigate by using the 'Recent Posts' button and the majority of people I know with live steamers spend very little time on the internet as they are too busy building things and running. Its quite difficult trying to convince somebody with a huge list of things they want to build to sit in front of a computer and type about building when they could be building. There is genuinely no interest at all from their side, and if they had that much time to spare, they would be running outside :) Live steam stuff will always be an outlier here and thats fine by me - having some content serves to broaden the subjects that this forum covers and its diversity in subjects, eras, skill sets and participants is one of its great joys. Anyway, you never know what will happen in the future!
Steve

I hadn't really looked at it from that point of view before and I guess it goes some way to explain why you don't see much in the way of comprehensive build threads for live steam on the web in general.

As the owner of mostly newer RTR stuff I've reached the point where I feel the need for the extra satisfaction that comes from actually making things from scratch, so I find these highly detailed build threads of great interest. However I can well understand that the time constraints that arise when going from aspiration to actually making things means much less computer time.

Perhaps this also explains the continued delay in the launch of the G1MRA forum .... :)

Last edited:

John Miller

Western Thunderer
Hey Steve - it accurs to me that you might be able to answer the original question that gave rise to this thread in the first place.

I want to replace the water gauge on my Black Five and that gauge in your attachment above looks exactly like the one I'm looking for.

Do you happen to know the diameter of the tubing and also where I might be able to find those type of fittings.

Many thanks - John

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Hi John
My gauge glass is 6mm in diameter.
In terms of glass and fittings, I'd head straight over to Blackgates Engineering, you can download their catalogue from the home page. I've not used them yet, but have heard good reports from a lot of people.
HTH
Steve