Slater’s Flexible Vacuum Pipes.

davey4270

Western Thunderer
Has anyone had experience with these please? Would they be suitable to fit on a cast brass pipe and do they have a sealing stop for the buffer plank?
Unfortunately, I didn’t realise the part was missing until after painting and don’t want to damage the paint work replacing the upright fittings.

IMG_6011.jpeg

simond

Western Thunderer
Davey,

I think they’re tight-wound springs, should fit on your stub where the bag goes. From memory there’s a glad hand casting to fit in the pipe at the lower end, which clips onto the holder - I think you’d have to find a way to do that without damaging your paint, and you might want a bit of wire wrapped around the top to simulate the fitting there.

hth
Simon

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Do you mean these ones?
20230717_121934.jpg
I'm going to use these on my 9f Crosti. As you can see from the pictures below I've already soldered the gland onto one end of each spring.
20230717_122106.jpg20230717_122128.jpg20230717_122155.jpg20230717_122249.jpg
They are quite springy! So would probably benefit from having a length of iron wire inserted to help keep their shape (unless of course you fancy having working vaccum pipes).

Hope this helps.
Mike

JohnB

The screw link couplings on the locomotive look nice and big and chunky.

Where did they come from please?

Thanks, John B

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
The screw link couplings on the locomotive look nice and big and chunky.

Where did they come from please?

Thanks, John B
Hi John

They came from LG Miniatures. I think CPL Products do something similar, but Laurie Griffin's looked a little easier to assemble (for me anyway).

Hope this helps.
Mike

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer

I've used these quite a bit on my S African 2' gauge stock, suitably forshortened. They link together fairly easily and look good as they snake around while the train goes through curves.
What black tube do you use, please, & where from?
I want to do something similar, air brake hoses for my 1:48 US O Scale stock. Struggling to find a decent 'tube' that doesn't kink when bent.

George M

This black "tube" is just the spring fro Slaters painted black. I have however used the insulation from the appropriate sized wire withe the copper pulled out for flexible air and water hoses

Best regards from Stockholm, George!

michael080

Western Thunderer
yep, anglers are using this kind of silicone tube. I got 0.5mm and 0.7mm in the picture below:

IMG_20230717_200113_cr.jpg

The 0.5mm type has an ID of 0.5mm, 0.7mm ID for the larger one . The wire in the darker tube is 0.5mm, the wire in the lighter grey tube is 0.7mm. The brass wires are both 1.6mm as a comparison. The OD of the smaller one is about 1.2mm, the larger one 1.5-1.6mm. The tube is very soft.

Michael

davey4270

Western Thunderer
Do you mean these ones?
View attachment 190635
I'm going to use these on my 9f Crosti. As you can see from the pictures below I've already soldered the gland onto one end of each spring.
View attachment 190636View attachment 190637View attachment 190638View attachment 190639
They are quite springy! So would probably benefit from having a length of iron wire inserted to help keep their shape (unless of course you fancy having working vaccum pipes).

Hope this helps.
Mike
I think this is what I need. Is there a different GWR version?