Social Media

Neil

Western Thunderer
It is like text messaging but with a several recipients. anybody here could manage it :) ....

I hate to burst your bubble Cynric but I struggle to use my mobile phone as a phone, texts are a lost world to me.

28ten

Guv'nor
Symbian, is a bit of a law unto itself, it struggles with some of the More modern stuff, Nokia are using Windows 7.5 on their newer phones and it is actually quite good and cheaper than iOS

In Reply to Adrian Richard and a few others have asked about a chat facility, I won't add 3rd party code to the software because of the inevitable problems and bloat,not to mention update hell. There are a couple of possibilities for doing something off site and I am assessing the options, I also like the idea of being able to screencast live. The important thing is that it is simple enough for Neil to be able to do the basics, without having to do loads of complicated stuff

Neil

Western Thunderer
... simple enough for Neil to be able to do the basics, without having to do loads of complicated stuff

Basic sounds good to me, :confused: but perhaps the world shouldn't revolve around my own level of imbecility. If there's a significant desire for all singing/all dancing complex stuff then I wouldn't want to stand in the way of progress.

S

SteveO

do some interesting things with small groups outside the forum framework.

This sounds interesting. What do you have in mind?

I really want to get into kit building (and everything else that goes with it - soldering, electrics, painting, weathering, etc) and maybe advance to scratch building later (my little Fox Walker aside...). Would you be offering live classes/discussions or would this just be an extension of the 'social club' atmosphere?

If it's the latter, do you think it would create an elite from an elite? Or divide the tech-savvy from the plodders (no offense!).

There's an opportunity here for people like me to learn from the vast amount of experience of the members here, and also create a valuable niche for this forum. As far as I know, there isn't a regular online educational resource for people who want to extend their modelling expertise. There are plenty of blogs and guides but none in one central location. It could be an opportunity to extend the reach and expertise to become quite a valuable resource (both financially and in experience/tuition).

cmax

Western Thunderer
Sounds a great idea, however if like me, you have a mega slow broadband, any live messenger service is a non starter.

Gary.

28ten

Guv'nor
This sounds interesting. What do you have in mind?

I really want to get into kit building (and everything else that goes with it - soldering, electrics, painting, weathering, etc) and maybe advance to scratch building later (my little Fox Walker aside...). Would you be offering live classes/discussions or would this just be an extension of the 'social club' atmosphere?

If it's the latter, do you think it would create an elite from an elite? Or divide the tech-savvy from the plodders (no offense!).

There's an opportunity here for people like me to learn from the vast amount of experience of the members here, and also create a valuable niche for this forum. As far as I know, there isn't a regular online educational resource for people who want to extend their modelling expertise. There are plenty of blogs and guides but none in one central location. It could be an opportunity to extend the reach and expertise to become quite a valuable resource (both financially and in experience/tuition).

First concern is ease of use, but it would certainly make for a more interesting 'show and tell' if a bit of realtime movie could be incorporated. I think it is inevitable that there those who can do the tech and those that cant, but if there is a simple message facility then anybody should be able to participate if they want to.

28ten

Guv'nor
Having had a good look, it would seem that something via Google + or Facebook would fit the bill, I can do either although I would lean towards google as there is less, erm, rubbish to wade through, and the circles concept is easier to get to get to grips with. But I guess there are more facebook users, its up to you lot really.......

28ten

Guv'nor
Facebook? Yuk.

From what I see there is little content that has any value beyond the here and now.
I tend to agree, but for a chat facility, both Facebook and Google+ are free and pretty simple to use, and a chat facility is by its very nature here and now.
In an ideal world it would be something contained within the forum software, but for very good reasons (stability and maintenance being two) I dislike add ons, and the other thing is that G+ and Facebook some video possibilities, which could be fun

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Given a preference, I would go for Google+ - I have never seen it but I hear nothing good about Facebook.......

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Given a preference, I would go for Google+ - I have never seen it but I hear nothing good about Facebook.......

Facebook content is driven by its users so in that respect it's not good or bad, it is down to how you use it. Adjust the settings to friends only and it's a great way to keep in contact with family and friends without the garbage.

I favour Facebook as I'm a IPad user and I don't want to login to google.

28ten

Guv'nor
You may have noticed Facebook and G+ buttons have appeared, for those of you who wish to share, also in the works is a Facebook and G+ page, which will enable some chat facilities and a few ideas that I have in the works.

Simon

Flying Squad
You may have noticed Facebook and G+ buttons have appeared, for those of you who wish to share, also in the works is a Facebook and G+ page, which will enable some chat facilities and a few ideas that I have in the works.

Are you a shareholder? :)):)):))

Sorry, back to work....

Simon

in da shop

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
I did notice and shared my workbench thread on Facebook. :thumbs: