Sony Cyber Shot Camera.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Hi All,

Rather than clog up Larry's Llanfair Road thread in the WR action forum, I thought it's best to start a new thread here, following a brief discussion about using mobile phones for taking pictures.

Some years ago it was mentioned on one forum or another about taking photos with the camera on the layout and a Sony Cyber Shot camera, models that have an x in the model number will work using a mobile phone for focusing and taking the shot.

Here are a few photos that I have taken on Pottery Quay.

20221004_100917.jpg

The 1st shot shows the camera perched on the edge of the quay and ready to go.
The next shot is taken with the camera at its normal wide angle setting.

DSC04134.JPG

This next shot shows the telephoto lens set as close to the subject and still be in focus.

DSC04133.JPG

I have moved the camera to look along the layout.

20221004_101348.jpg

The next shot has the full wide angle view.

DSC04137.JPG

and one with the telephoto lens focused on the end of the nearest wagon.

DSC04138.JPG

And finally, a screenshot of what you can see on the phone.

Screenshot_20221004-101612.jpg

Here is a link to the one I'm using, there are others in the range, just remember that it needs to have the X in the model number to work with a mobile phone.

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Technology relating to phones is a bit beyond me. Using a camera, stacking gets over the depth of field problem Those images posted here are okay. Compact pocket cameras often have a low mounted lens. A chap on another channel uses a Canon compact, a G12 I think. It was limited to f8, nevertheless he posted some fine pictures of his layout of Peterborough.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
was limited to f8

I don’t think it’s that limited, Larry. There are factors such as the tiny sensor and optics in compact cameras, compared to those used in larger formats. I read some time ago, so it’s probably wrong now, that a compact f8 is roughly equivalent to DSLR f32. It seems too high and I’m sure there’s a better comparison somewhere.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Yes you are right Kay. I forgot about the tinier sensor. The Peterborough owner was quoting the f8 reading on the camera. I remember how short the depth of field was on a Pentax 6X7 at a given aperture than on a 35mm SLR. Of course, the medium and large format cameras had movements (swing back or front or both) to assist back in time.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I bought an app "DSLR Camera" to try to overcome some of the iPhone deficiencies in depth of field and focusing but to be honest I now rarely even think of using it. The irony is that the latest idea is to manufacture bokeh in portrait mode, this making things worse.

Another irony is that, even with DSLR high end cameras many good lenses don't stop down more than f16 even though the film speed rating can be set to extremely fast.

Do smart phones even have variable apertures?

Kylestrome

Another irony is that, even with DSLR high end cameras many good lenses don't stop down more than f16 even though the film speed rating can be set to extremely fast.
That's most likely because very small apertures beyond f/16 generally cause high difraction, leading to a soft (unsharp) image.

David

Kylestrome

Thanks, David. My ancient 60mm f2.8 micro nikkor goes down to f32, very useful for close up work.
I knew someone would mention macro lenses. :) Macro lenses are specifically designed to provide a flat field of focus and to work well at small apertures.

As an aside, many of the modern lenses for mirrorless cameras, and those built into 'pocket' cameras like these Sonys, would be full of distortions and abberations if they were not corrected by in-camera software. They are designed that way in order to achieve crazy zoom ranges and wide apertures while remaining small & compact.

David

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
In many ways I yearn for the good old days of hand polished lenses made fit for purpose. I also would like a full frame 35mm x 24mm format digital camera but can’t justify the expense. That way several Nikkor primes would still provide what they were designed to do. As it is the 20mm f2.8 is just an ordinary lens, while the standard lenses serve as portrait lenses.

I just gave my 300mm f4 to my oldest grand daughter as a gap year present, She is in Kenya doing voluntary work and as a budding wild life artist the lens is so much better off in her young hands. So, the three lens iPhone really is a good substitute for an old geezer to carry!

ICH60

Western Thunderer
If you have time this gives an explanation on how your smartphone camera works and the software that manipulates your picture.