Squeal, Bang, Clank!

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Sorry - didn't brake in time :eek:

Bit of a hopeless case really -

Triang 00 (christening present from an enthusiastic aunt) up to the age of 8, then a gap.
Full size (M&GN country) from 13 to 18, shifted a fair bit of coal, rail and sleepers.
BREL (Crewe Works and more) 16 to 23.
Pretty much all armchair stuff (well ok, and a bit of discrete cupboard stuffing) 23 to present (now that's a long time....), bobbing in and out of 0 Gauge Guild but have somewhat lost track of what's going on out there these last 10 years or so.
A week at Wolsztyn 4 years back (only 2 of us there!) brought the excitement back with a rock and a roll.

I have recently joined up as a result of exposure to a friend's 0 Gauge work which has rekindling a desire to do something myself - time will be a big issue for a year or so, but this year sees the installation of a 30ft x 7ft 6 'facility' for use in years to come :)

Main rail-related interests (in no particular order): Minor railways, Industrial locomotive builders (especially the development of diesels), Industrial lines (esp. ironstone industry), scrap yards, rail cranes, freight, anything with 'atmosphere' (that doesn't rule out much!), branch lines. Any era, Trevethick through Brunel and Rowland Emmett to Brush Type 2s.

Main modelling influences to date: I'd have to say primarily MRJ - from the very first issue. A couple of trips to Telford in recent years and most recently the ability to view the work of members on here and 'on there'.

Therein lies a problem or three, as -

A) I find myself being influenced by all manner of forces (even looking at 1/32....), desperately trying to focus in on something specific.
B) I find myself wanting to create accurate engineering but bewildered by the amazing effort and skills involved in this,
C) I'm wondering if I will be able to develop the necessary skills to achieve what I see others are doing. In that respect I note that gauge and 'precision' of building are perhaps less important than the ability to create a consistent 'illusion' from whatever skills may be to hand.

Not only that, but I've just joined the Scale7 Group (I joined once before for a year, when it was first floated) and shortly to taste bad coffee made in a dolls house.

No doubt I'll be overshooting the platform quite regularly, and I often get distracted while I should be keeping an eye out on the boiler gauge glass level - bear with me please :confused:

Tony

HC Enterprise1.JPG

Simon

Flying Squad
All sounds good to me, especially the industrial diesels bit and that lovely Hudswell picture:thumbs:.

There was a similar looking machine parked up at "Websters Sidings" (by then not rail connected) on the Stoney Stanton Road in Coventry when I was a student there in the early 1980s, a lovely faded blue colour as I recall (oops)

Another (industrial) diesel that I like a lot is the jackshaft driven "centre cab" Fowler that the Air Ministry had quite a lot of. I have often thought it would make a very satisfying model, especially in one of the larger scales.

Is your Avatar the back end of an earlier Fowler?

Welcome anyway!

Simon

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Welcome Tony, very pleased to see another S7 modeller! We like pictures, so very pleased you've posted a great pic on your introduction post! :thumbs:

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
... I've just joined the Scale7 Group ... shortly to taste bad coffee made in a dolls house...
I understand that the coffee is acceptable if you make yours yourself... the sausage rolls carry a 'Elf warning.

...No doubt I'll be overshooting the platform quite regularly...
A pre-requisite of WT membership, if you look at the membership number then you will find it has the prefix "SGM" which, as you have discovered, means Scatter Gun Member.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
.....Is your Avatar the back end of an earlier Fowler?......
Simon

Hi Simon. Yes - 1934 vintage which is pretty early . Needs a bit of attention having stood for many years, but at least she is saved from the scrap man (I put my hand up at the wrong moment at an auction....:D ).

You have a lot to answer for, with your ScaleOne32 thing - I'm now trying to make contact with John to get hold of a 48DS kit, I thought it would make a nice centre piece for a small industrial diorama and be a good starter project for etched work (just goes to show the scatter gun concept is working already!:) ).

Locomodels

Western Thunderer
A) I find myself being influenced by all manner of forces (even looking at 1/32....), desperately trying to focus in on something specific.
B) I find myself wanting to create accurate engineering but bewildered by the amazing effort and skills involved in this,
C) I'm wondering if I will be able to develop the necessary skills to achieve what I see others are doing. In that respect I note that gauge and 'precision' of building are perhaps less important than the ability to create a consistent 'illusion' from whatever skills may be to hand.

Hi, welcome to the madhouse, you'll get used to it all eventually. ;)

To answer your problems in order.
A) This isn't really a problem, it affects us all, just accept it and do your own thing. Try everything once. :thumbs:
B)Effort is the easy bit, skills will come with experience and we are all here to help. :confused:
C)Gauge and precision are your choice, some of us are a mite picky though and go to extreme lengths to get things right, even though you sometimes can't see them. We just like to know they are there. So illusion is everything, just go for it, one thing that you can be sure of here is getting encouragement. :))

You'll just love it here, though it can become addictive.

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
All sounds good to me, especially the industrial diesels bit and that lovely Hudswell picture:thumbs:.

There was a similar looking machine parked up at "Websters Sidings" (by then not rail connected) on the Stoney Stanton Road in Coventry when I was a student there in the early 1980s, a lovely faded blue colour as I recall (oops)

Another (industrial) diesel that I like a lot is the jackshaft driven "centre cab" Fowler that the Air Ministry had quite a lot of. I have often thought it would make a very satisfying model, especially in one of the larger scales.

Is your Avatar the back end of an earlier Fowler?

Welcome anyway!

Simon

Simon you naughty boy nearly got away with it:))

Welcome Tony and enjoy.

S

SteveO

Welcome Tony. I too am way too under the influence of others, as I'm sure most of us here are too. Just when I've think I've made up my mind somebody changes it for me by showing something they've done - which accounts for the massive pile of 'stuff' in the loft!

Simon

Flying Squad
- I'm now trying to make contact with John to get hold of a 48DS kit, I thought it would make a nice centre piece for a small industrial diorama and be a good starter project for etched work (just goes to show the scatter gun concept is working already!:) ).

Ah, that'll be me then.

I bought the rights moulds etc to the 48DS from John back in October and need to get some more etches done in order to make it available again.

I'll endeavour to do this sooner rather than later:rolleyes:

Most impressed you saved a Fowler - you must have a big back garden:))

Simon

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Tony and welcome, just keep the scatter gun well loaded and post plenty of pictures and you'll do fine.

cheers

Mike