7mm START ANEW

Barnaby

Western Thunderer
After spending a period of time building my shunting plank I have decided to start anew again.

This is because I have made plenty of mistakes while building the layout, corrected the same and learnt plenty of best practice from the assistance offered on the various forums. I have taken this decision to leave the working DCC track on the bare baseboard but to leave the layout unfinished and start anew

I have started to accumulate the infrastructure so I can begin when ready. I ordered 3 x 48 inch baseboards from Grainge and Hodder a couple of days ago.

I'll be posting occasional updates as I go.

Best

Last edited:

Barnaby

Western Thunderer
Some new laser baseboard parts arrived today from Grainge & Hodder. I unpacked them and will sort them into their 3 distinct types tomorrow.
Giving some thought to how the fiddle yard baseboard is going to work before I glue them up as I need the front half to be on view also need to set the industry building locations.

laser baseboards_n.jpg

Best.

Barnaby

Western Thunderer
Just been trying to squeeze a gallon into a pint pot using paper templates and Anyrail to tweak my plan, copy below.
As the boards are each 48 Inches max long and I have got 3 inline points on one [Board 2] it was going to be over size @ 49.5 Inches long. However if I swap one on the points for a "Y" @ 15.04 Inches long it gives me all bar a smidgen 48 inches, hurrah. IE. 16.38 + 16.38 + 15.04 = 47.8 Inches it will fit.

EMANON SIDINGS 12ft change over H-S point to rh point +SECTIONS+colour change.jpg

Nothing is finalised yet the bright colours are just to group areas of the plan together. Once I have the baseboards built I will be printing at full size the track plan to stick down onto them.

Last edited:

Barnaby

Western Thunderer
Hello unklian, yes probably will so something like that. Certainly I will draw into arrivals uncouple pull forward then have the shunting loco draw out the wagons and distribute them releasing the working loco.
It will create an added little bit of interest. Similarly the 2 points in the yellow track on the exit from the fiddle yard I could turn into a D/S but like this is more awkward and interesting at least it is for me.

Best

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I like these type of layout where they make you think at least three moves ahead when shunting. Even more interesting is when a longer vehicle is introduced.

Barnaby

Western Thunderer
!st one being glued up, 2 more to do.

laser board  glue up.jpg

Best

PS. The Stanley Tool to square up the box frame is a winner, it will also hold true multi sided objects which will be handy for other wood working jobs and only cost a £10-er too. Simple, quick and easy to use.
Put the plastic/fibreglass corner alignment pieces into position, pull the tape tight and lock off then tighten the handle to tension the tape up.
Job done.

Last edited:

Barnaby

Western Thunderer
Some small progress made. Photo shows Board 2 sitting on top of Board 1 with full size paper templates to confirm installing.
23270507_10212066308425655_8658894545845690518_o.jpg

Board 1 fits to the LH end of Board 2 and contains all the industry sidings.

Board 3 sits to the RH end of Board 2 and contains the Fiddle yard behind a view blocker and the head shunt for on view yard shunting.

Boards 2 & 3 are the same width 400mm, Board 1 is 600mm and all 3 are 1200mm long.

It's my 12ft plank.

2 Mink wagons arriving tomorrow from Minerva/Ixion models and will get a show on the baseboard.

Regards

Barnaby

Western Thunderer
Hey Mr Postman what have you got for me....................
2 new Mink.jpg all Minerva-Ixion.jpg

2 new Mink from Minerva/Ixion models and then inline with a Fowler on the new board top test point layout.

Slight hic-up on delivery but a quick phone call to Chris and 10 mins work got it sorted. See next photo>>>.
weight loose.jpg
the weight inside had popped off.
To get the roof off just gently squeeze the sides and lift it off.
If you look closely you will see the weight has 2 holes, they locate over the spigots on the wagon centre line. Then there are 4 lugs 2 at each side which clip over the top of the weight. I added a little copydex too but I don't think it is necessary.
The roof just simply clips back on via it's protrusions on its underside.
Place the roof as shown then position the wagon over it and gently press down rocking the wagon a little with the curve of the roof and you will hear it click-click into place.

That's it, job done, all secured 10 mins in total.

Best

Barnaby

Western Thunderer
Cross bracing now fitted to the three boards and my unbuilt, still boxed JLTRT class 20 which is in a very dusty state is finally taking shape under the control of Sandy.

The box of bits will turn into D 8059
D 8059 colour.jpg

Bogies now being built and painted as is the cab interior. The windows are masked out to control the painting.
I am intending to have it built as D 8059
DSCN3679.JPG

Regards

Barnaby

Western Thunderer
Some updating to this project.

While reviewing some of the posts on RMweb I saw one that showed "PECO POINT WHEEL DROP STOP". I was interested enough to order some for my layout to trial.

I was just going to lay a small piece of plastruct at the widest gap to stop the wheels from dropping but these are an excellent option and can easily be hidden.

https://youtu.be/nvgUiRG48aY

Thanks for Andrew P of Seven Mill Siding for recently displaying them.

Best

Got my Point, wheel drop stop inserts from Parliamentary Trains.

Thanks for the great service Steve.

I've just ordered a Walthers overhead travelling crane H0 scale [Prt: 933-3102] to be used as a sacrificial donor or to use as a reference to build from plastic/brass strip.

https://youtu.be/Q383SYjDPGQ?t=23

On the new layout I want to be a crane driver
sun_bespectacled.gif
but I need to decide how the collect and deliveries will work. As I'm no Giles [End of the line] I wont have any lorries delivering so I intend to do it all by rail. Raw materials in, finished goods out.

I can get rid of one of the crane motors by making the crane fixed and use the loco to position the wagons correctly. that will leave me with 2 motors one to operate the hook and the other to traverse across the track, we'll see how it goes.

Barnaby

Western Thunderer
Posted 06 January 2019 - 19:52

There's been a bit of a lull in here over the last few months. I've been having some house work done, improving a small shed for my wife to play about in then got knocked sidewise and spent a few days in Hospital in the run up to Christmas.

All now tickety-boo health wise with a rejuvenated interest in model trains.

I had been looking for a local club with some 0 gauge interest and it looks like I have found somewhere 10 mins away which I'll be visiting in the next week or so. Initial contact is very friendly and welcoming so must get a pack of biscuits to go with the cups of tea.

All aboard...…………

Best