7mm START ANEW

Barnaby

Western Thunderer
Posted 11 January 2019 - 00:58

Seeing a post from Stephen Warspite on RMweb reminded me that I needed to order some plasticine/Newplast.
post-1610-0-98208900-1323959995_thumb.jpg
I have long admired Stephens models and the method he used to convey a rather tired rail yard.

Using Newplast which is a plasticine will be of advantage to me but I am a little concerned with its archival permanence so an order was placed today so that I can have a play to see if I can achieve what I want.

Tally ho

Last edited:

Barnaby

Western Thunderer
Part of the new build will be to change over from Lenz control to NCE as I have always thought their hammer head controller did the business. [Now changed to ACE Controller see next post]
Probably going to go for the starter system linked to a smartbooster 5 for that extra bit of power and additional features.

Hattons seem to have the best deal just now and have them in stock but Coastal DCC were very knowledgeable on the phone but didn't have the SB 5 available.

Best

Last edited:

Barnaby

Western Thunderer
Decided in favour of Das for the yard ground with sheets of Wills cobbles/concrete added to break up the expanse a bit. Using plasticine as I was interested in trying I found that it never set firm enough and I was concerned that it would get squashed and require constant attention.

Today I placed the Peco track over the full size plan so I can judge where to drill the holes for my Blue point actuators. The points will be operated from the board front by push pull rods to the Blue point unit.
Still undecided if I should use a lever frame to locate all the levers close together or have each lever opposite its own point. The push rods are some I have from my RC aircraft days and are flexible plastic so will skirt around any obstacles' or all meet up at a lever frame if required.

Here's a photo of the intended layout with Peco track on top of printed out full sized plan.
track positioning.jpg

Regards

Barnaby

Western Thunderer
Sound advice gents I'll be a doing that. I think I'll alter the advice slightly in that I'll lay some 1 or 2mm card down for the Das clay to adhere to and should I need to remove it the card will make for an easy lift. I don't want too much height with the card in case that means the clay is too thin and might crack easily. Away from the track side I'll use thicker corrugated card and probably polystyrene pieces.

Going forward I'll have a trial play to test out the strength of clay - v - it's thickness.

Thanks

Barnaby

Western Thunderer
PLEASE NOTE.
THIS IS THE START OF MY NEW LAYOUT HISTORY,
THE ABOVE LAYOUT HAS BEEN PUT ASIDE.

Hello all long time off the rails.................. and because of a server crash and data loss I'm picking up the threads of my old posts on here and starting my story again here.

The present build on KINGS STREET GOODS got as far as all track down and DCC wired up then I did my back in which stopped my crawling underneath the boards for any finishing/remedial work.

To this end I purchased a RTR 0 Gauge layout on 2 boards over 9ft+ long, I can play trains whoo hoo.
I packed away KING STREET GOODS build and set up my new layout still called Portobello Road TMD but may be changed in time.
More info to follow.

Harry 1.jpg

A little bit more information on how I reached here, there are a few more photos to add.
harry 3.jpg

harry 5.jpg
............... and the wiring is neat with some nifty touches I can learn from.

PORTOBELLO ROAD TMD
Posted October 11, 2021
Here begins Portobello Road with some older post gathered from my King Street Goods topic on here………….
THE LAYOUT NAME MAY CHANGE FROM PORTOBELLO ROAD GOING FORWARD.
Crunch time -- Long story short.
Coincidence, right place right time, fit the bill all the before.
I read on FB that a local group of friends were going to make a show to benefit the Severn Valley Railway and have some interesting items on show for 0 Gauge modellers.
The concept expanded into having 7 layouts I thinks and some shop outlets too, Jim McGeown of Connoisseur models to name one.
It turned out to be a very successful 2 day event and very much enjoyed by all who attended.
Now the coincidental bit -- one of the committee recently put a layout up for sale on a site I am a member of and it pinged me.

Now recently I have stalled working on my own build layout by reason of a bad back which if I get under the layout my disc slip.
So here was an opportunity if suitable to get me a running dcc working layout which at 10ft would be just right.

Today I went to visit and did the deal. This will now allow me to play trains while taking it easy on my own build giving my back time to recover.

Going forward I may name change the new layout, add to the single track fiddle yard or make it cassette based. It is TMD set at the moment but I may want to do some minor tweaks to make it more freight biased but initially I will just enjoy playing.

Best

Last edited:

Barnaby

Western Thunderer
Portobello Road TMD [Layout name may change]
O Gauge, 7mm Scale
Under new ownership me but originally superbly built by Paul Challenor.
Purchased from Harry Bradley the present owner.

Portobello Road is A Fictional BR Blue Era Layout. 1980s.
The Layout is Built Set to A Scale of 7mm Or O Gauge, Controlled by Sig-na Trak DCC, with 2 x locomotives in Sound so far.
Locos Are a Fowler by Ixion and a kit built JLTRT 20.
The Layout Measures 8 x 18 the Track is Peco, With Hand Built Points, Operated Manually Using Push Rod from the Front and Back Using the Blue Point Switching Gear.

The Brick Arches Buildings Are Skytrex (Modified) Along With Scratch Built Engine Shed That Has Been Scaled Up from the Bachmann OO Single Track Diesel Locomotive Servicing Shed Along With the Heavy Lift Crane Scaled Up from the OO Ratio Kit.
Vehicles Are from the Oxford Range, Once Again Weathered.
The Lighting For the Layout is A Strip of Leds For Its Illumination.

Best

Last edited:

Barnaby

Western Thunderer
Yes Sar Alan !!!
I'm trying to get my photos organised after losing my order of posting them on another forum.
At the moment the above photos which I hope you can see are somewhat mixed in their dating but I expect going forward to become more chronological.
I'm trying here to set up the historical background while keeping to the correct timeline.

Best

PS. Just in case Alan can you let me know if you can't see any photos at all

pricei

Western Thunderer
Portobello Road TMD [Layout name may change]
O Gauge, 7mm Scale
Under new ownership me but originally superbly built by Paul Challenor.
Purchased from Harry Bradley the present owner.

Portobello Road is A Fictional BR Blue Era Layout. 1980s.
The Layout is Built Set to A Scale of 7mm Or O Gauge, Controlled by Sig-na Trak DCC, with 2 x locomotives in Sound so far.
Locos Are a Fowler by Ixion and a kit built JLTRT 20.
The Layout Measures 8 x 18 the Track is Peco, With Hand Built Points, Operated Manually Using Push Rod from the Front and Back Using the Blue Point Switching Gear.

The Brick Arches Buildings Are Skytrex (Modified) Along With Scratch Built Engine Shed That Has Been Scaled Up from the Bachmann OO Single Track Diesel Locomotive Servicing Shed Along With the Heavy Lift Crane Scaled Up from the OO Ratio Kit.
Vehicles Are from the Oxford Range, Once Again Weathered.
The Lighting For the Layout is A Strip of Leds For Its Illumination.

Best
It looks like you've purchased a rather nice layout there. Out of interest, how have you found the SignaTrak DCC controller?
Ian

Barnaby

Western Thunderer
Excellent Ian, it's simple and very intuitive to use unlike my Lenz which I found the manual very difficult to decipher.
I think it had been written by the "Hello Hello" or "Dad's Army" script writers.

It now abides in its various boxes if anyone wants to make an offer all fully working just too difficult for me to comprehend.

Best

Barnaby

Western Thunderer
Going forward I want to add a more effective fiddle yard operation while at the same time start another SMALL 7mm freight shunting layout. I have a few interesting ideas for an 8 - 10ft space.

More to follow.

Regards

Barnaby

Western Thunderer
Having some part-built track work on some laser cut baseboards my mind decided to re-use the point work and make up a small shunting plank.
Well, that was the aim, but I am at 11ft already so not so small.

Here's my thoughts:
new pc mini layout E + EXT TO 11 FOOT.jpg

I'm also trying to work out what a normal week would be like at my TMD Portobello Road so I can have something moving in & out other than just locos.
I can see that I can freight in wheel sets, brake pads, lubes and tools etc but is there somewhere I can refer to for info?

It's all fun.

Best

Last edited:

Barnaby

Western Thunderer
Hello.
Even though my HOBBY shed is 12ft x 20ft I have managed to fill it up somewhat.
So I decided to move some "stuff" about.
* This will entail turning the layout through 90D from running along the 20ft length to fitting across the 12ft width.
[I can still operate the layout from front or rear but will only be able to walk around to the rear from one end - no problem]
Create a wood store behind the shed for all my spare wood cut off's, I have quite a lot.
A small wooden bike shed was obtained from Tiger Sheds, photo to follow.

Doing this will give me much more space to both play trains and build trains which will keep my interests active.

More to follow......................