Scattergun Swiss shape and Bristol fashion

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Whilst waiting for the glue to warm up during assembly of the current batch of split axles, I thought I'd take a couple of quick (very quick - sorry about the lousy quality) photos of my latest random eBay purchase.

Therefore, in true scattergun mode I present to you the rather lovely Model Loco SBB CFF FFS Ae3/5:
IMG_8640v1.jpg

To be honest, it's a bit random even for me, although a mate does model Swiss outline. The truth is I've been on the vague lookout for one of these kits since seeing an article in Continental Modeller, probably in the early eighties. I thought it looked a good kit. It is; even now some could learn from this.

Y'see, when Model Loco say 'complete' on their European loco kits they mean complete; the kit includes wheels, motor and gears, decals, pickups and many fine details; even a set of rather lovely etched number and works plates. Items required to complete? Adhesive, solder and paint. oh, and a little time:
IMG_8641v1.jpg

Let's be honest and state from the outset that the approach is normal on the continent. All the German loco kits I've built or have stashed away are equally complete, those from Weinert including sprung chassis, assembled drives and many other refinements, including perhaps the most exquisite wheels you're likely to have seen.

So I'm wondering if there are others on the forum who harbour a strange interest in relatively early Swiss electric locos and would be happy to see a build go up here? My usual refinements are likely to make an appearance somewhere too; there is half an idea about building the loco up on a split-frame chassis.

Oh, and if anyone manages to find out which copy of CM contains the article on building this I'd be grateful. Years have passed and I've lost my copy...:(

Cheers for now,

Steph

Cliff Williams

Western Thunderer
Swiss, German, French all very nice! I even import some to the UK for customers so I can safely say I would enjoy seeing a build of one!