Syphon G Bogies?

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Hi,

My question is, did any Syphon G's survive into the blue era still running on these GWR American? bogies.......

post-6992-0-23245800-1436979927_thumb.jpg

Many Thanks

Phill

djparkins

Western Thunderer
Hi,

My question is, did any Syphon G's survive into the blue era still running on these GWR American? bogies.......

post-6992-0-23245800-1436979927_thumb.jpg

Many Thanks

Phill

Phill -

At the risk of being called a 'rivet counter' [!!!] I don't think so - though I hope someone will come along with a contradictory photo in order to save you work!

If either did it would more likey be the Diag. O.33 vehicle.

DJP

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I travelled by train from Reading in the 1970s, either to Bristol or to London, and noted the Siphon Gs in use for newspaper traffic. I did not see any inside framed Siphon with American bogies, most had the 9'0" Collet style plate frame bogie. There was one outside frame Siphon G on American bogies at that time, this is the vehicle which went to the Severn Valley when withdrawn.

[I made a mistake with the original post and wrote "inside" when I meant "outside" for the preserved vehicle - now corrected]

Last edited:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Thank you all for your help & advice......very much appreciated:)

So it would seem that the vast majority were running on these then ?....

20150715_213721.jpg

There was one inside frame Siphon G on American bogies at that time, this is the vehicle which went to the Severn Valley when withdrawn.

I am intrigued by the one that went to the SVR with American bogies though, would that have been a Diagram 0.33 ? ..........anymore info on this vehicle please ?

Phill

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Hi Phill, where did you get your Syphon G's?

Len
The front one is a David Parkin etch kit I think, I got it S/H & repainted it & modified the roof. the other one started life as an outside framed Ian Kirk kit...which I bodged into an inside framed example...although I think I should have made the ends vertical planked too :oops:

Phill

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
So it would seem that the vast majority were running on these then ?....
View attachment 46097
Or like these http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/gwrsiphon/h37949112#h7026d79

I am intrigued by the one that went to the SVR with American bogies though, would that have been a Diagram 0.33 ?
The outside frame Siphon G is to Diagram O11... for which there is one body style and three different styles of underframe... and probably three or four types of bogie. One lot was fitted with vacuum and westinghouse brake.

The SVR example is here.

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
I travelled by train from Reading in the 1970s, either to Bristol or to London, and noted the Siphon Gs in use for newspaper traffic. I did not see any inside framed Siphon with American bogies, most had the 9'0" Collet style plate frame bogie. There was one inside frame Siphon G on American bogies at that time, this is the vehicle which went to the Severn Valley when withdrawn.

The outside frame Siphon G is to Diagram O11... for which there is one body style and three different styles of underframe... and probably three or four types of bogie. One lot was fitted with vacuum and westinghouse brake.

The SVR example is here.

I'm confuse now DS, was there a Inside Framed/American bogie example which went to the SVR?

Phill

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I'm confuse now DS, was there a Inside Framed/American bogie example which went to the SVR?

Phill
My sincere apologies, I made a mistake with the original post and wrote inside when I meant to write outside.

The most likely source of an answer to your question, other than a photo, is the HMRS book on Siphons in which there is information about the types of bogies fitted to the different Diagrams. In some cases the book records details of bogie changes.

djparkins

Western Thunderer
My sincere apologies, I made a mistake with the original post and wrote inside when I meant to write outside.

The most likely source of an answer to your question, other than a photo, is the HMRS book on Siphons in which there is information about the types of bogies fitted to the different Diagrams. In some cases the book records details of bogie changes.

But to keep things simple -

If you fit 9ft Pressed Steel Heavy Duty Bogies your vehicles WILL be correct!

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Someone mentioned there being one withdrawn in the early 70's listed in the HMRS Syphon book.....but I wonder if this was the SVR outside framed one?

Is my bogie in the pic a pressed steel heavy duty one?

Phill

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Thanks again, I will get another set of those GWR 9' ones from Shawn at Telford & put them both on those bogies :thumbs: