7mm The Derby Line: Basford North

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
Looking good Tony,
it's great to see it all coming together and I notice you have lots of natural daylight which is a bonus. I will be looking into buying some lighting bars with some LED spotlights as my playroom ( that's what the wife calls it ! ) resembles a dungeon on a cloudy day.

Keep up the good work,

Martyn. PS, the new avatar is a silent hint for the Finney7 mafia.... ;)

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
Well it's all quiet with the hierarchy, and no denials yet so fingers crossed. I would certainly be in the market for one.

Martyn.

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Not much progress to report, apart from moving the track from the loft to the railway room.
115.JPG

Now we've actually had some good weather, and I've prepared the parts for board 14.
013.JPG

A friend has kindly printed the Templot plan, that will allow me to plan the next 3 scenic boards.

dibateg

Western Thunderer
At last I've had time to lay out some of the Templot plan - something went wrong with the printout, so I've only got bits of it! I wanted to get an idea of what it will look like. There are only two baseboards and the lifting section to complete now - so 11 out 0f 14 boards done. Next one is more complicated as the line will be on an embankment. I've been copying ideas from Martyn's Church Norton.

The Bulwell common line curves off to the left in the background, the 16tonner I standing about where the goods shed will be. The track to the left of the wagon on the edge of the paper is the bay platform line. Through lines will be beyond that, with the station to our left.
P1050263.JPG

The tandem point leads to the goods shed, dock and yard siding in the forgound..

P1050264.JPG

At least I'm getting an idea of what it will look like...

JimG

Western Thunderer
At last I've had time to lay out some of the Templot plan - something went wrong with the printout, so I've only got bits of it! I wanted to get an idea of what it will look like.

Tony,

I wonder if your printer doesn't want to know about long PDFs. The part of the printout which the wagon is standing on is the first three feet of one of the ten foot PDFs. I made the PDFs to be A1 width which would give an overall size of 3048mm x 597mm.

I do remember having a (largely unsuccessful) fight with my previous Canon A3 printer to get it to print anything but standard sheet sizes.

Jim.

dibateg

Western Thunderer
A friend is printing the Templot plan for me. In the meantime I paid a visit to the Nottingham archive to see if I could find any more information on the Derby Line. There were lots of documents, but I couldn't find a building plan. I did have a look at an excellent GNR plan of the station in 1903. It's beautifully drawn.
IMG_3778.JPG

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Now I've cleared the last of this years commissions, I been spending some time considering the structures that will be required for the layout.

I thought it might be an idea to make a start with the bridges, as they will be simple - but essential. So working from drawings and pictures I've made a full size drawing on an A3 sheet of the Vernon Road Bridge. This will be used to create a design for laser cutting... Photos are the bridge being demolished in 1970, and at a guess with the trolley bus in 1960. I need to find out when they finished in that area.
IMG_3836.JPG

S7BcSR

Western Thunderer
Cor blimey!! The trolley bus brings back many memories. Was that the one the went right through to the turning point on Victoria Embankment?

Rob

dibateg

Western Thunderer
I will have to plead ignorance on that one Rob - I was never a native of the area! This project stems from my interest in the GC line.

Regards
Tony

S7BcSR

Western Thunderer
Thanks. I couldn't read the no. clearly but thought it was possibly a 43 or a 41 both of which went to Trent Bridge.

I am enjoying following your build as I have an interest in the GC. I used to travel between Nottm. Vic and Loughborough Central everyday to school in the 50s and early 60s. I am building one of the Annesley/Colwick J11s that used to be at the head of our morning train.

Rob

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
This project stems from my interest in the GC line.
Tony, (@dibateg), I am confused by this comment. You are interested in the GCR line and then build a model to represent a GNR station (as given by the helpful Wiki page for Basford North)... seems to me that there might be an interesting story to be told.

Which GC line holds your interest?

regards, Graham

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Graham -
I achieved my GC ambitions with Charwelton in 4mm. Replicating the London extension in 7mm would be difficult to do convincingly without a long room. Basford North fitted the bill, a junction, my favourite engines, short passenger trains (apart from the holiday ones ), and plenty of goods and mineral trains. More importantly, I might even be able to achieve it. It still doesn't fit perfectly, but will have to do...

Cheers
Tony