4mm The Idler

Neil

Western Thunderer
The layout's coming on a treat. I was wondering what might be an appropriate backscene when I remembered I had a print of this picture on my bedroom wall as a teenager (I was a weird kid, no Ferraris or tennis girls for me) ....

coalbrookdale.jpg
... perhaps too dramatic? A further quick search on the internet brought up this painting of a backstreet in Burslem which I thought showed promise as a starting point.

burslem.jpg

Joe1980

Western Thunderer
Neil those images are great! I think why I may do is create a sort of stencil from the shapes in the second image and create a sort of misty/greyed-out back scene. Hopefully it’ll give the impression of the smokey atmosphere and hint at other bottle kilns nearby, without the back scene becoming too pronounced. I massively appreciate you sharing those images.

I now need a roll of card or something to start the back scene I guess!

757251EF-DE27-4FDB-AF39-ABD31FF1E046.jpeg 6B0EF016-B01B-4ED4-A52E-58F3525CCF5B.jpeg

Last edited:

steve50

Western Thunderer
Hi Joe, fantastic little layout you've got there. What did you use for the ballast and groundwork, it looks very effective?

Steve

Joe1980

Western Thunderer
Hi Joe, fantastic little layout you've got there. What did you use for the ballast and groundwork, it looks very effective?
Steve

Thanks Steve, very kind of you to say. It’s a long way off still, though!

The groundwork and ballast is done the following way:
  • ‘fine basing sand’ that I bought off eBay.
  • Stuck down with the usual PVA/water/washing up liquid mix.
  • Track is then sprayed with red oxide, grey and black spray paint.
  • A bit of Das Clay is squeezed into gaps to make it a bit more varied in textures
  • Finally, the paint is a blend of grey, off-white and black tester pots of emulsion, mixed with washing up liquid and water.

steve50

Western Thunderer
Thanks Steve, very kind of you to say. It’s a long way off still, though!

The groundwork and ballast is done the following way:
  • ‘fine basing sand’ that I bought off eBay.
  • Stuck down with the usual PVA/water/washing up liquid mix.
  • Track is then sprayed with red oxide, grey and black spray paint.
  • A bit of Das Clay is squeezed into gaps to make it a bit more varied in textures
  • Finally, the paint is a blend of grey, off-white and black tester pots of emulsion, mixed with washing up liquid and water.

Thanks Joe :)

Joe1980

Western Thunderer
Well, no progress on the buildings, but found a couple of shock-absorbing wagons whilst at my local model shop earlier. I have a kit version of the ShocVan to build already, but couldn’t resist investing today.

9F1D9EE8-5377-4CD8-A701-AFD617D1B1C0.jpeg B6D79924-D7B6-43C1-9A64-4C1EFD8437DA.jpeg

Joe1980

Western Thunderer
A pretty dull morning over at The Idler. Naturally the pottery works is closed and there is virtually no traffic on the line, but a small engineering train arrived, dug a hole, and set about bedding-in the water tower. No one was sure why they arrived in a ShocVan though, or why they were still at work.

57469E46-7B1F-49FA-8DC3-95102BF6EFB1.jpeg 5863934A-EB94-4334-B5B1-4F260F8149F6.jpeg 0FE13A59-7323-4548-96B0-DDDEDBB6C7B8.jpeg 0FA7D5BD-07AE-4766-9AFD-E9FBD90BB984.jpeg

Joe1980

Western Thunderer
It’s amazing how much you can get done when you’re working from home. Similar view to yesterday’s picture, but notice the office/store now actually has a roof on (after 5 months). Used York Modelling self adhesive roof tiles and dusted them with weathering powders. Needs some bedding-in but hopefully you’re getting the idea.

49EA4220-1EAE-461A-8585-6ED3C986CA61.jpeg