7mm The NKLR a narrow gauge odyssey

Discussion in 'Layout Progress' started by Hobbyhorse, 7 June 2020.

1. Hobbyhorse

Hobbyhorse Western Thunderer

Thought it's about time a started this thread about my newish layout, although I've been building it for two years now it still early days.
    It's ON30/ 0-16.5 ish which is totally new to me, coming from a kit building/ lostwax casting business recently this is my first layout in a long time. For me it's about getting back to the hobby, and it's been an enjoyable process so far.
    I won't start at the beginning but flip from project to project, starting with a Gantry Crane which is keep me entertained at the moment.
    Simon

IMG_2625.JPG IMG_2719.JPG IMG_2730.JPG IMG_2732.JPG

2. AdeMoore

AdeMoore Western Thunderer

Marvellous mod,l making skills, let’s see more please!
    Cheers
    Ade

3. Hobbyhorse

Here you go Ade, just completed the carriage this weekend. Just the detailing which I'll do once it's working.
    Simon

IMG_2736.JPG IMG_2739.JPG IMG_2738.JPG IMG_2768.JPG IMG_2769.JPG IMG_2767.JPG IMG_2761.JPG

4. Dog Star

Dog Star Western Thunderer

Just so that I get the correct understanding of the picture - what is the reason for the plate-with-holes on the left hand side of the photo?

thank you, Graham

AdeMoore likes this.
  5. Hobbyhorse

Graham it's the rivet jig that tac solders to the plate, then the punch which has a 1mm parallel shank goes through it to guide the punch.
    Hope that's understandable.
    Simon

Jon Nazareth, AdeMoore and Dog Star like this.
  6. AdeMoore

Hobbyhorse likes this.
  7. Hobbyhorse

With this project being narrow gauge and with US sleeper spacing it's definitely different to all the other track work I've built over the years.
    I have been following Fastrack for a few years watching the developments with their assembly jigs, point forms, Stock aids and frog helpers.
    With over 50 points to make this system was a good investment in time saving and producing accurate points, although not cheap it's paid for itself when you compare the RTR costs of points, plus these have been used on other projects with friends.
    You can download templates which is what I did for the curved points. Following US practice all the track work is spiked including the points.
    Simon

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Renovater, Kempenfelt, Giles and 13 others like this.
  8. Hobbyhorse

More jigs and cutting metal this week for the control cabin and motor cabin, but that's all the structural bits completed.
    Simon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Renovater, Bullhead, AdeMoore and 7 others like this.
  9. Hobbyhorse

I've been toying with lighting the Lee Marsh lamps for some time, so using some SMB LED's and acrylic rod this is the result.

Simon

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Renovater, LaScala, AdeMoore and 6 others like this.
  10. michael mott

michael mott Western Thunderer

Filed the method of rivet punching with the hole jig away for future reference, Nice trackwork with the spikes.

Michael

AdeMoore likes this.
  11. Hobbyhorse

With a fairy complex layout I decided that the wiring would have to be well organised. Operationally each area will have its own panel, with a master panel controlling the main line and hidden storage. Also JMRI will be used for operation days with a dispatcher controlling all movements.
    Although I'm using DCC it still generates a lot of wires, so each board is wired with clear details. Starting with the power supply area that also contains power management, detection and signalling boards. Each of the layout boards has its own identity and connectors so that it can be taken down to work on. Overall it took around 6 months to get the thing working, with still a few bits to do.

Simon

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 7 September 2020
  12. AdeMoore

Simply outstandingly neat wiring.
    Looks the business.
    Cheers
    Ade

13. Hobbyhorse

Looking around at the trade offerings for suitable small yard office type buildings I decided that around the £50 mark each was rather expensive, so other than some doors, windows and chimneys which I already had I spent this week putting these together. These will be used as the reception office for the Yard masters that also contain the ground frames. The walls are made from Foamex scribed with suitable brick work and coloured with a mixture of rattle cans, acrylics and coloured pencils.

Simon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PhilH, Renovater, Kempenfelt and 6 others like this.
  14. Threadmark: Upgrading the signalling system
    Hobbyhorse

This week I'm upgrading the signalling on the layout. Operational the layout upto now has used local control of the signals with push buttons on the panels, by wiring them into the slow motion turnout outputs on the SE8C's
    But with operating sessions planned for the future using JMRI I've put in some change over switches and run in the ribbon cables to the signal outputs on the boards. That's the first one done and working, onwards with the rest.
    Simon

IMG_3324.JPG

AdeMoore and cbrailways like this.
  15. Hobbyhorse

After operating the layout for some time it became obvious that the small Southfleet yard didn't have the capacity needed, so using various odds and end in the workshop a larger yard has been made. The only division away from using digitrax control equipment is a CDU and solenoids to control the 3 way point, these parts came from a test board that a friend made.
    Operationally very easy with a 3 position switch.
    The last photo show the test board, this was built with an additional bit of circuit that keeps the point in the same position after reapplying power to the CDU, as the CDU didn't do this on it own.

Simon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Renovater and cbrailways like this.