NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hi how do you weather your box vans them fruit vans look very good.

Thanks.

All the stock is weathered using Humbrol weathering powders.

I shall write one up at some point. In essence, the powders are applied, sealed with Matt varnish then removed to varying degrees, plank by plank using a 2cm fibre brush. Once happy, its sealed again using matt varnish.

But I will write it up in due course.

20190522_054030-01.jpeg.jpg

Rob.

Last edited:

D602bulldog

Thanks.

All the stock is weathered using Humbrol weathering powders.

I shall write one up at some point. In essence, the powders are applied, sealed with Matt varnish then removed to varying degrees, plank by plank using a 2cm fibre brush. Once happy, its sealed again using matt varnish.

But I will write it up in due course.

View attachment 132289

Rob.
Hi i will be looking forward to your write up cheers

Muddysblues

Western Thunderer
Hello Rob, I just popped by, haven’t been in much lately, just had a nice catch up, stunning weathering on the kettles and stock.

They will fly out, when you sell them to fund the 7mm project :D.

With your talented weathering skills, and eye for detail, your 7mm project is definitely another one for My watch list.

Best regards
Craig

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hello Rob, I just popped by, haven’t been in much lately, just had a nice catch up, stunning weathering on the kettles and stock.

They will fly out, when you sell them to fund the 7mm project :D.

With your talented weathering skills, and eye for detail, your 7mm project is definitely another one for My watch list.

Best regards
Craig

Afternoon Craig.

That's very kind of you to say so. The 7mm project is a tad dormant at present. A combination of work being a tad hectic at present and a lack of space to get on with things is currently conspiring against me.

I may well look to progress on individual items such as buildings and stock but at present, I am tinkering with 4mm still.

The latest victim of the Sheep weathering table is a Hornby B2 Peckett , destined for Sheep Dip.

It's still a work in progress but here are a couple of photos.

Rob.

20201028_125214-02.jpeg 20201027_215848.jpg

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning all.

There's been no real modelling in 4mm for a little while.
I've had a tinker with a 7mm wagon as per the associated Lamb's Leap thread and that's been about it.
However, with so many lovely models emerging now in 4mm, I have no intention of abandoning things small. One issue I have with disappearing completely down the 7mm rabbit hole is space and here the 4mm Cameo format is my friend. That said, space is still the issue..........but less so.....ish.

Impending additions to the loco stud are in the form of one of the Bachmann 1P 0.4.4t, 58072, a Highbridge loco, which will be added to the roster for Bleat Wharf. A second collectors club edition of the same loco type, No 54 in S&DJR Prussian blue is also eagerly awaited. The photos looked stunning and will scream out for a BLT layout to accommodate it.......

Despite this, the next 4mm project will be firmly based on the Wisbech and Upwell.

Why?

Well, I blame my dear Aunt May and a book I had from her when I was about six (and still have). 20201114_105052-01.jpeg I've already ordered and received a Model Rail J70 from Kernow models. Unfortunately this example had to be returned due to a waggle as it tottered about the place. I still await a replacement.

In the interim, I have been carrying out some research and acquiring suitable reference material. I think I'm about there now and I'm indebted to Rob R of the parish who has sent through copies of some truly excellent articles. These have finished things off very nicely.

The new layout will be based on Outwell Basin and will be a goods only layout set around 1950.
Simple and minimalist spring to mind. I have the required buildings, three in number, all small. I still need to confirm the plan itself but it will have more than a passing resemblance to Outwell. I have been asked if there will be a water feature on the layout. I'm not sure is the answer. That said, Outwell Basin had a delightful little girder bridge over the Wisbech Canal. The prospect therefore is very tempting......

I'm not certain if proceedings will commence before Christmas. There is an appetite for such things and I have some time off (finally !) starting on the 12th. That said, the Memsahib may have other ideas as to how this time can be put to use.......

Here then are a few images to set the scene.

A plan from Wild Swan publication's lovely book on this line.

w3.jpg

A few photos...out0011.jpg up009.jpg out0012.jpg

And the image that started it all..........TobyandtheStoutGentlemanRS1.PNG.png

Oh, and the name of the new layout ?..............

Outwool Basin, obviously.......

Rob.

Last edited:

ceejaydee

Western Thunderer
Toby and Percy were always my favourite standard gauge Awdry locos :thumbs:

There was an article in a Model Railway Constructor Annual 1983 called 'Steam In The Street' which for a 12 year old me fleshed out the real story of Toby.

Look forward to your tramway :)

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob,

I know you are going to do a write up on the weathering of the 7mm wagon at some time. But I was just wondering if you apply the Matt varnish by brush or air brush?

Regards,

Martyn.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Well, its better. But......................there's a tight spot.

And.......there is so little clearance between the crank pins, the slide bars and the side sheets that they can rub and mine do. I need to gently ease out the side sheets but I'm prepared to remove the slide bars and connecting rods. I mean, we don't see them do we......

Rob