4mm The Strawberry Line in P4

ullypug

Western Thunderer
Well it's been a while since I posted anything on this thread, almost since the beginning of the first lock down in fact.
Whilst I have been concentrating on my Stonehouse St James covid layout in the intervening period, I did decide to complete the signal box for Cheddar. The box itself is a Saxby and Farmer Type 3 and as I noted last time, this was drawn up in Coreldraw and the parts cut by York Modelmaking. What followed was a fairly simple assembly of parts, correcting the various mistakes I made along the way or, as is normally the case when I unearthed a photo after the event showing that some of my assumptions weren't correct!

The sides are 1mm MDF with the brickwork pattern rendered . The windows are Rowmark, stuck to perspex with spray mount. The plinth is Slaters plasticard. The interior is an old Springside kit I had kicking around. I think the levers are painted correctly! Tiles are York self adhesive and other bits and pieces are odds and sods of plasticard, wire and a bit of perspex for the lamp. The nameplate was custom etched by Light Railway Stores.

As with all things, now it's finished I can see a few things that niggle me but the funny thing is the front of the box will face the operators, not the public when it all gets plonked onto the layout. There's a bit of weathering required to the soffit boards but overall it's getting there.

Happier to report that a house move shouldn't be too far away now. Rest assured the new abode has suitable space for layout erection, albeit not all at the same time!
IMG_9659.jpeg
IMG_9662.jpeg IMG_9792.jpeg

IMG_9802.jpeg

IMG_9795.jpeg
IMG_9806.jpeg
IMG_0072.jpeg
IMG_0075.jpeg

IMG_0087.jpeg
IMG_0086.jpeg
IMG_0106 (1).jpeg

IMG_0513.jpeg
IMG_0514.jpeg
IMG_0515.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9804.jpeg
    IMG_9804.jpeg
    286.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0074.jpeg
    IMG_0074.jpeg
    462.1 KB · Views: 5

ullypug

Western Thunderer
Good evening.

Well it's been a while hasn't it?

I had a fantastic weekend at the Portishead WCPR show last weekend which has certainly given the modelling mojo a bit of a boost.

This has come at the right time too, because after some 9 months in the new gaff, I've finally got to the stage where I could actually fish some bits out of their various storage boxes and put a couple of boards up in what I hope will be the 'layout workshop'. This will be somewhere I can have the boards up whilst I work on them in relative comfort.

These were the two that I was last working on at the back end of 2019 and at that time honestly didn't think it was going to be almost 3 years before I'd get a chance to work on them again. But happily, here we are again!

I'm happy to say that on first inspection at least, the boards seem to have survived their period in storage. Of course there are some things that haven't quite survived unscathed. The train shed roof seems to have picked up a slight warp. Not surprising when you consider it's 2ft long and a composite structure of metal, MDF and plastic. It should be easily fixed with some form of clamping.

The signal box has been placed for the first time on the layout. As it was built remotely, I deliberately didn't cut the leadaway out. It was covered anyway at Cheddar so that's good.

The goods shed has been plonked on too. As you can see I was in the process of terraforming the ground with a recess for all of the buildings to drop into.

The motor bus shed seems to have survived unscathed.

Heaven knows where the platform surfaces have gone though! They were cut from Palight. Thankfully I've still got the remains of the sheets they were cut from!

So, where to start? Maybe with the platforms and possible the yard crane.

These boards will take a fair bit of work to complete as I'll want to finish the signal box board before I can move to the Wells end of the station. The station master's house will also have to be built at some point. Don't know where the mock up for that ended up either!

So, hopefully updates will be posted more regularly from here. Hope so, because January will be the 10th anniversary of me starting its construction. Ouch!
IMG_3025.jpegIMG_3024.jpegIMG_3021.jpegIMG_3018.jpegIMG_3016.jpegIMG_3015.jpegIMG_3014.jpegIMG_3013.jpegIMG_3011.jpegIMG_3010.jpegIMG_3009.jpegIMG_3008.jpegIMG_3007.jpegIMG_3006.jpeg

AdeMoore

Western Thunderer
Great to see Cheddar on the go again Andrew.
Shame I didn’t know you were at Portishead on Sunday I could of said hello.
Looking forward to more posts here.

ullypug

Western Thunderer
Starting to find the time I need to make progress when I can. Since the last entry I've completed the first batch of platforms, fencing and made a start on the greenery on the up side of the station. Barrow crossings have been added too. Platform faces and barrow crossings are scribed Palight. which is a foamed pic sheet. Surfaces are generally stone dust from Atwood Aggregates, applied onto glue/paint and suitably sanded down afterwards. Fences and gates are the usual Ratio products. I've also added a 6 tonne yard crane from Osborne Models. I'm working on the stone loading point which was added by Chelmscombe Quarry in the 1950's at the moment. In reality the siding stretched around the front of the layout but I don't have enough width to represent it, so a small cameo of one of their lorries tipping into a wagon is planned here.
IMG_3402.jpegIMG_3401.jpegIMG_3400.jpegIMG_3399.jpegIMG_3398.jpegIMG_3299.jpegIMG_3297.jpegIMG_3273.jpegIMG_3269.jpegIMG_3152.jpegIMG_3153.jpegIMG_3155.jpegIMG_3144.jpeg

ullypug

Western Thunderer
Of course you may! It’s Dulcote Road Stone from Attwood Aggregates. Dulcote quarry was near Wells and the source of most of the ballast on the Cheddar Valley line.
Woodlands scenics buff is a close match and chinchilla dust from a pet shop is a close match too