The Titfield Thunderbolt

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
The title may be a bit misleading but couldn't think of another.
My aim is to produce a train similar to that in the Titfield Thunderbolt film which was made up of locomotive, machinery truck and brake van. This is a picture of my version of the GWR Loriot which I am going to use to carry Dan's home, as he called. A fellow member of the Brighton Circle has enlarged his 7mm Craven 1st Class coach to G3 for me. The etches are body only and I have two winging their way to me as we speak. One I will make up as a complete carriage, the other will be body only as per 'Dan's Home'.

Jon

IMG_1289.JPG

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Just looked at the date of the last post, 2016!

I've been thinking about the coach that sat on the machinery wagon and how to make it. The wagon above is not the correct one and there isn't a supplier of one either. I do, however, have some basic etches of the LSWR Royal Saloon of 1843 kindly enlarged from 7mm by Mr Kosmider of Steam and Things in Australia.

IMG_1914.JPG IMG_1915.JPG IMG_1916.JPG

If I cut off the ends, up to the door frame, then the shortened coach would fit on the wagon and I wouldn't have to try and curve the end etch to fit the curve of the side which looks to me to be a very tricky thing to do. However, I do have a set of spare ends and so, I'm going to have a go at curving just to see if I can do it. Not sure, though, that if it works, I won't still cut off the ends of the sides. Afterall, I'm only after a basic coach ala Dan's home.
I wouldn't include the louvres in the ends but I would like to try and fit some down the sides. Anyone have any ideas how I could achieve this?
As things aren't turning out quite like the train as featured in the film, different wagon and coach, I'm thinking of renaming the loco. There is a piece of music, Variation on a Theme of/by Paganini so, maybe Paganini. But then, I may find that another composer has written a Variation on a Theme of another's music and so, the name could change yet again.

Jon

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Just looked at the date of the last post, 2016!

I've been thinking about the coach that sat on the machinery wagon and how to make it. The wagon above is not the correct one and there isn't a supplier of one either. I do, however, have some basic etches of the LSWR Royal Saloon of 1843 kindly enlarged from 7mm by Mr Kosmider of Steam and Things in Australia.

View attachment 85008 View attachment 85009 View attachment 85010

If I cut off the ends, up to the door frame, then the shortened coach would fit on the wagon and I wouldn't have to try and curve the end etch to fit the curve of the side which looks to me to be a very tricky thing to do. However, I do have a set of spare ends and so, I'm going to have a go at curving just to see if I can do it. Not sure, though, that if it works, I won't still cut off the ends of the sides. Afterall, I'm only after a basic coach ala Dan's home.
I wouldn't include the louvres in the ends but I would like to try and fit some down the sides. Anyone have any ideas how I could achieve this?
As things aren't turning out quite like the train as featured in the film, different wagon and coach, I'm thinking of renaming the loco. There is a piece of music, Variation on a Theme of/by Paganini so, maybe Paganini. But then, I may find that another composer has written a Variation on a Theme of another's music and so, the name could change yet again.

Jon
Could you not place a few sleepers crossways on the wagon and then put the body on them? Should still have plenty of clearance height wise.

Rob

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Rob
Yes, I've seen models where the coach is on bearers but well, not too sure about that one.

Heather
Now there's a good name, Elgar, and English as opposed to Italian. I wonder if Purcell wrote any variations, mmm.

Jon

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
One side of Dan's home buckled terribly when I soldered :rant:it so, that's a scrap item now. I'm almost certain that there isn't a supplier of a G3 carriage that looks anything like Dan's home but if anyone knows differently, please let me know. At the moment, I would accept any small carriage :).

Jon

Mike W

Western Thunderer
If the etched body you have is good other than the little accident, could you not get another one?

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Mike
If I had thought about it before any soldering, I may have used the inner overlay but stuck it to a home made side. I think that the etched side was too thin or I applied too much heat. They come from Australia and so postage is high and I won't be getting another. My latest thinking is to cut it out of styrene but not sure how I'll cope with accurately forming all of those windows and the inner overlay.
I've pushed it to the back of my mind, although it still comes to the fore from time to time, and am going to make a start of the SDCR wagon today.

Jon