A Good Read The Tralee & Dingle Railway

adrian

Flying Squad
Not got much modelling done recently as I've been maxed out at work and then last week was a well earned holiday - I certainly picked the right week to go.

Following a review in the Narrow Gauge Gazette I decided on getting the latest Tralee & Dingle book release for my "holiday read".

I'm only still part way through it but have enjoyed every page so far. It is a really top quality publication, 350 pages and probably will be the reference book for the line.

t&d - 1.jpeg

It's not just a description of the line and it's building, but includes the background politics and anecdotes from people along the line. I hadn't realised there was a distinct possibility, advocated by many, for the line to be built to the Irish Standard gauge and connect to the Great Southern and Western, and short of finding £5000 (1888 costs!) to build at 5' 3" there might still have been a railway line to Dingle. There are also chapters on operation and signalling, track plans, extensive details and various drawings of the loco's, coaching stock and wagons plus copious appendices on the research etc etc.

I've cycled around the Dingle peninsula, visited on the motorbike and holidayed with the kids at Castle Gregory so love the area and the book just adds to my appreciation of the area. Throughly recommended for anyone with an interest in this corner of the Emerald Isle.

t&d - 3.jpeg

t&d - 2.jpeg

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thanks Adrian. Like you my family and I have a love affair with that part of Ireland. I have a few books about the T & D but will now get hold of this one.

Brian

MarkR

Western Thunderer
I have to agree, in fact I think any Lightmoor title is worth adding to your library, I have a few titles on my Scaleforum shopping list!

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
Chris
I have both, the Tralee book is far better than the S&D books which in my view are a bit of a letdown, especially at the not inexpensive asking price. The signalling diagrams are noticeably less than optimal.
Regards
Martin