Tower Bridge

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
At Christmas I was lucky enough to receive a voucher for the Engineering Tour of Tower Bridge. For anybody with an interest in Victorian engineering this has to be one of the visits of the year. I went last Saturday. The tour was scheduled to take two hours. Three and a quarter hours later I was leaving the complex.

I'm publishing this on WT because, although peripheral, it does involve some amazing engineering.

Here's a selection of the one hundred plus photos I took.

Tower Bridge.  14 Jan 2017 (26).JPG

First of all one has to do the tourist bit. That includes walking across both the high level walkways with views up and down the river but also through the new glass floor.

Tower Bridge.  14 Jan 2017 (37).JPG

Then in to one of the towers where the architecture has been exposed and some effort made to show the internal complexities of the building.

Tower Bridge.  14 Jan 2017 (74).JPG

Then the engineering tour proper for which the guide was a real bridge engineer - not the greatest presenter but a man who knows the bridge inside out. This is the old control room, no longer in use but retained. It's similarity to a signal box is very marked. These levers operated not only the lifting of the bascules but the withdrawing of the bolts which hold the bridge at the joint. There is a cam which lifts the bridge off the bearings for road traffic and the lift itself requires several lever movements as different levels of stored power are brought in to play. Forgive me if I get these dates wrong as my knowledge of computers is abysmal, but my memory says that we were advised that the bridge has never failed to open when required until the process was computerised. When the operation was changed from Windows 95 to 97 the bridge opened and then stuck there. It remained stuck for eleven hours while the software was sorted out.

Tower Bridge.  14 Jan 2017 (78).JPG
Next we were down to the engine room. The story here is remarkable. The main bridge bearings have never been changed. They are (probably) the first caged bearings in the world. The lifting equipment is that which was installed when the bridge was completed in 1894. This old engine is one of six no longer in use as the drive has been replaced with electric engines and oil hydraulics rather than the original coal fired steam engines and water hydraulics for reasons of avoiding pollution and much needed improved efficiency. However, the drive is connected directly to the drive shaft of 1894. The coupling between the old engine and the drive shaft was cut with a gas axe.

Tower Bridge.  14 Jan 2017 (90).JPG

This is one of the accumulators which was charged by the steam engines (with our guide). There were eight accumulators, and when fully charged they could operate the bridge lifts for about three weeks without the use of the steam engines in the event of "industrial action", which was not all that unusual, apparently.

Tower Bridge.  14 Jan 2017 (102).JPG

Then to the vast bascule chamber. The sound of the river traffic was very noticeable - through 18 ft of masonry! No one knows for certain what the grooves are for. They don't appear on any drawings. The belief is that they may have been introduced when the bascules were being built. The bascules were built vertically so that the river traffic was not compromised and it is suspected that they were let down initially with chocks and wedges - the bottom of the groove appears smooth whereas the top is irregular. In preparation for the public opening of the bascule chamber a light was fitted on each wall outside the tunnels. Clearances are so tight that the inspection after a lift once the lights had been installed showed them all to have been smashed. That's probably around 6 inches each side.

Tower Bridge.  14 Jan 2017 (113).JPG
Finally, back to the public area and the beautifully restored steam engines. Two remain but one has been removed and is now in a museum.

A piece of engineering which at 120 years old is still doing the job for which it was designed. I can't recommend this too highly. If you get the opportunity you've gotta do it.

Brian

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
... we were advised that the bridge has never failed to open when required until the process was computerised. When the operation was changed from Windows 95 to 97 the bridge opened and then stuck there.
:D Classic!! :)

I wonder, did they switch it off, then on again, to see if that worked, or how many times they tried "ctl+alt-delete".... ;)

Awesome pictures though. I didnt realise tours are available. Like many others here I suspect, I've only ever driven over Tower Bridge. :oops: (& that was many years ago, as there's a 7.5t weight limit on it, I think.)

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Brian,

many thanks for the words and pictures - a Grand Day Out by all accounts! Also a good back-up to the series just shown on the TV.

regards

Mike

Tower Bridge

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thanks for all the "likes" chaps. I suspected that this may be a minority interest!

I thought I'd included but find it's not there - probably the most important and amazing bit of engineering data is that the water hydraulics worked at 700 psi. (It's dropped a bit now with the introduction of oil hydraulics but I can't remember the new pressure). Up to 1977 a "lift" would take 60 seconds. Now it's 90. The high pressure water was carried over the top of the bridge, next to the walkways - so how huge must those tubes have been?

One other misconception is that the walkways were closed early in the C20th due to misuse and because the only access was by the stairs. Certainly the issues of misuse are verified, but in fact the towers each had a lift from new. Unfortunately they are not present now, and I forgot to ask whether these were electrically powered or also hydraulic, but I suspect electrical power was most likely.

As for the tours. Yes, these are available and the best time of year is outside the tourist season - you have a lot more of the guide's time and things are not too crowded in the public areas. Our tour had only twelve people on it which I believe to be the norm. You need to be aware that some of it in the restricted areas is dirty - and be prepared to walk along narrow walkways, spiral staircases and not be scared of heights - or depths I suppose. In the bascule chambers you are well under the river level.

I reckon it's a privilege to be able to get so close to an engineering marvel like this one, and is something I've wanted to do for years - ever since I was first taken to the Pool of London with my Dad, who's family were East Enders, when I was seven years old. That was 63 years ago!

B

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Just want to say two things:

1. Thanks indeed for all the "Likes". We are not a totally myopic body which my and others non railway items (which seem to be exceptionally popular) rather proves.

2. Hooray for Area 51:)

And the third thing is.....Mrs D is booking a trip (maybe two) on the 70 year old PS Waverley for my 70th birthday, so more Area 51 to come from me, I'm sure.

What did the Romans do for us?

B

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Brian - the 3rd engine which was removed (to make room for the replacement electric machinery) can now be enjoyed at a wonderful little steam museum not far from me in Norfolk:

Tower Bridge Engine

Well worth a visit if anyone is out in the sticks. In fact it must be 25 years since I was last there, time for a refresher methinks!

Tony

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
We were told about this on the tour, but I didn't recognise Forncett. I've been to Kew Bridge several times, and engines of the size at Kew would be difficult to move. Nonetheless, those at Forncett are of considerable interest, not only the Tower Bridge engine. It'll be well worth a visit if and when I get to Norfolk again. It'll make a good reason to go alongside the Carlton Colville Museum which I visited 40 years ago or more.

Thanks for the info, Tony.

Brian