Uploading Photos In A Non-microsoft World

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I do not generally have problems in uploading photos when using any of our PCs with a Microsoft operating system (ranging from Windows v3.11 to Windows 7). Similarly I do not have problems with the upload process when using our Apple laptop - problems with downloading from camera to laptop yes, uploading to WT, no!

And now the problems start... one of the WT brethren likes to take photos with an Apple I-pad and we have tried to upload those images to WT. OK, go to the reply box at the bottom of a thread, click on "upload a file" and - a dialogue box appears which does not make any sense to me (having been brought up on VMS and Strawman!). So, how is an upload achieved from an I-pad?

Bright idea time.... said WT member sent his photos to me by e-mail. I saved the photo attachment to the Apple laptop using Preview and then tried to upload using the same process as for any of my photos. Great, a dialogue box with which I am familiar (read... as expected) and photo .jpeg file uploaded to WT. Result? oh no... what ever I do the photos which I received from my friend appear in the WT thread upside down or downside up if you are reading this in Australasia. Rather than give readers a neck ache from trying to look at the pictures I have removed the thread. Any one had this behaviour and can advise what I am doing incorrectly?

thanks, Graham

28ten

Guv'nor
ios won't upload. I wouldn't bother with iPad for photos. On a mobile (android or ios) I just send to the cloud and process on Mac and upload.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Thank you Cynric... so the i-Pad and i-phone are no-no for loading photos to WT.

Any idea as to why a photo which displays correctly using Preview on the Apple laptop appears upside down when loaded to WT?

regards, Graham

28ten

Guv'nor
I couldnt upload from 'droid phone. No idea why preview should display it on way and upload the other. You might as well run them through iPhoto and resize etc.

S

SteveO

Preview sometimes displays pics as you want to see them, rather than as they were taken (upside down or rotated 90deg). They only way to know for sure is to use a proper photo editor or iPhoto.

By the way Graham, have you tried Image Capture (part of the OS) to view and download pics from your camera or 'phone. I use it to quickly get a pic off my 'phone instead of going through iPhoto, which can take a while to update sometimes.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
You might as well run them through iPhoto and resize etc.
What an interesting reply - I cannot get iPhoto to cut/paste the required portion of the photo whereas Preview does let me cut/copy/paste and then save as (in jpeg format with sliding scale for quality (file size)).

I shall have to convert my abacus from finger-power to DCC and trust that PC-World has a suitable memory upgrade plus appropriate photo-editing software.

S

SteveO

Have a look in the Applications folder, the application's icon has a camera resting on photo. It uses USB protocols for looking for attached media devices so is practically foolproof - I'm not sure about Grahamproof...

28ten

Guv'nor
I havent installed ios6, being Mr Cautious i always leave it a few weeks before upgrading :)
You might want to look at Picassa if iPhoto doesnt do it for you.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
OK - I see now, the Application folder includes icons for Image Capture and for iPhoto - both show a camera and one or more photos!